Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 10:16 AM   
 By:   Kaya   (Member)

My review of the score. I can assure everyone it's amazing.

http://www.filmmusicmedia.com/reviews/ironman3bybriantylerreview

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 10:31 AM   
 By:   yonythemoony   (Member)

Nice!

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 12:06 PM   
 By:   David (Giacchino-fan)   (Member)

That's really encouraging. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 12:11 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

It would be encouraging except I disagree so much with the reviewer's assessment of the first two Iron Man scores (and post-Iron Man Marvel films, which I have enjoyed with the exception of The Avengers (so I agree with you there)) that I'm now a little worried that his enthusiasm for this will equate to a similar lack of enthusiasm on my part!

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 12:12 PM   
 By:   David (Giacchino-fan)   (Member)

It would be encouraging except I disagree so much with the reviewer's assessment of the first two Iron Man scores (and post-Iron Man Marvel films, which I have enjoyed with the exception of The Avengers (so I agree with you there)) that I'm now a little worried that his enthusiasm for this will equate to a similar lack of enthusiasm on my part!

That's a possibility. I didn't think that much of Djawadi's and enjoyed Debney's effort more. However, the presence of a 'bold theme' raises my hopes.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 1:09 PM   
 By:   lonzoe1   (Member)

Total disc time are reveladed!

Brian Tyler of FB: I named the tracks. The album running time is 76 minutes full symphonic Marvel-y / Tony Stark-y adventure!

Brian Tyler about IM3 (from ComicBookMovie.com):

When Marvel & Shane Black approached me about scoring Iron Man 3, I was thrilled as a long-time fan of the series and super hero films in general. We all wanted this score to have a deeply thematic component with a strong melody. We felt that the story would lend itself best to go classic and use the orchestra as the main voice of the music, with horns & trumpets singing the new Iron Man theme in a strong way. I conducted the London Philharmonic at Abbey Road in order to give the score a sound that felt powerful enough to live up to its name. Shane Black was very supportive & collaborative in his vision for the film & the score, and Kevin Feige was also a kindred spirit in really reaching for something special. Both of them are incredible film score buffs, and we all spoke the same film music language, which made for an awesome experience. In the end we went for a score that echoed the classics of super hero film history with a few surprises like a wild 1960s style main title piece that was an absolute blast to record.

After reading that I have a lot more hope in this score than I do for Zimmer's Man of Steel, which didn't get me excited at all going by Zimmer's description of it.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 1:38 PM   
 By:   jb1234   (Member)

Yeah, same concern here. I thought the first Iron Man score was trash and the second very average. The reviewer also seems to like Zimmer's Batman scores, which leads me to believe that our tastes are very different.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 1:52 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

If Kevin Feige is such a film score buff, why are most of the Marvel scores so kneecapped?

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 1:57 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Hope its as good as they say. But I need more than a great theme. Music should complement the mood and visuals for each particular scene in a film.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 2:00 PM   
 By:   Adam Krysinski   (Member)

Hi Kaya. Is there any chance to see a complete tracks list (with track times)?

Posted:   Apr 6, 2013 - 11:33 PM   

For God's sake. Stop whining. They have the right of make these scores to sound like they want. Iron Man is not a classic superhero, he has a fearless and contemporary attitude, which is why the first two scores are influenced by rock music because it fits with the style of the character (Tony plays AC/DC when he arrives to Germany in Avengers, and wears a Black Sabbath t-shirt). The sequel had a better balance between the orchestra, and the rock-driven influences. Even though most of Debney's themes we're throw away, what has been kept (the dark theme for Whiplash, and the Goldsmith-esque theme for Iron Man) was wonderful.
The reason of why Tyler wrote a fully orchestral and thematic score for the third part is because Tony Stark changed since Avengers, and we're watching a new side of the character.

Captain America was a throwback to the old-fashion superhero films (even with some CGI sequences), which is why Silvestri did wrote a bombastic and orchestral score, with a fanfare for Capt., made on purpose to people to whistle it.

Avengers was all about these superheroes becoming into one team, which is why the score couldn't have new themes and Silvestri only used his theme for Capt. because he wrote it. He did created specific moments and sounds to represent some of the characters (synths for Iron Man, brass for Hulk), but it's not until they're togheter, working as a team, where the full Avengers theme is used.

And The Amazing Spider-Man was another throwback to old school scores, where Horner avoided to make an unoriginal score, but put dedication to it. The main theme was already written a year before of the release, and he created an emotional and lyrical score, where he represented Peter's journey, and with some original touches to superhero scores, like the Middle Eastern sounds and vocals for the Lizard, pizzicato strings and finger snaps to represent Peter's attitude, boy soprano and 4 pianos to represents his emotions. And a small motif to represent Peter's family and Gwen.

Saying that these scores are kneecapped is being narrow minded.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2013 - 5:27 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

For God's sake. Stop whining. They have the right of make these scores to sound like they want.

For God's sake, stop whining. People have the right to react to these scores how they want, and to express their disappointment however they want. Loving everything or saying nothing when you don't like something would make this board a very boring place -- one might even consider uncritical acceptance of everything "simple-minded". Being "influenced by rock" because it fits the character is not a problem -- the problem is that many feel that Djawadi's rock-influenced score was poorly done, regardless of why it was done that way. I still love Armstrong's Incredible Hulk score -- I find it interesting and exciting and enjoy the way it acknowledges Harnell and Elfman while being its own beast -- while many others find it awful. More power to 'em. Why do you imagine that consumers should keep quiet when they don't enjoy a product?

Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 11:19 PM   
 By:   Adam Krysinski   (Member)

audio clips? tracks times? when?

Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 11:31 PM   
 By:   MattyO   (Member)

There's a sample of the tracks Iron Man 3 and Can You Dig It (Main Titles) on this website, but the sound quality is so dreadful I wasn't going to bother posting it. It really doesn't give a good impression due to the sound quality and I'd rather enjoy it with proper sound.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=77473

Posted:   Apr 13, 2013 - 6:55 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

The poor sound quality of this sample notwithstanding - this is supposed to be one of the "best scores of the year"? With a main theme in the vein of Williams?

Never in a million years.

I have no problem with people loving this. But to compare this main theme with, for example, the Raiders march is like saying red is blue.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2013 - 7:14 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

That music is a joke right? Sounded like 60's jazz. Give Iron Man and little more gold and he can stand in for the "Oscar". Dreadful design.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2013 - 10:59 AM   

There's a sample of the tracks Iron Man 3 and Can You Dig It (Main Titles) on this website, but the sound quality is so dreadful I wasn't going to bother posting it. It really doesn't give a good impression due to the sound quality and I'd rather enjoy it with proper sound.

Wow, you were right on about that. What the hell kind of sound quality is this?

Posted:   Apr 13, 2013 - 2:29 PM   

Seems like you people are really wanting to hate this score.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2013 - 2:36 PM   

Seems like you people are really wanting to hate this score.

I'll reserve judgment on it until I hear something in 96kps.

The theme in the second cue sounded like a variation on Silvestri's theme from The Avengers, which can only be a good thing.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2013 - 6:21 PM   
 By:   Erik Woods   (Member)

Wow, you were right on about that. What the hell kind of sound quality is this?

The audio was ripped from Tracksounds podcast called The Soundcast. A piece from Tyler's new score was featured on the program, which I was a guest on. The track was played underneath host Christopher Coleman's commentary. In order to get rid of the voice from the music some one used a voice extraction plug-in in their audio editing software and out came the slushy track which you heard.

-Erik-