Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 3:01 AM   
 By:   Tom Guernsey   (Member)

I got the email from Silva Screen this morning:

REGISTER YOUR INTEREST BY EMAILING INFO@SILVASCREEN.CO.UK
WITH “TARDIS BOX” IN THE SUBJECT LINE

DOCTOR WHO:
THE ULTIMATE LIMITED EDITION COLLECTOR’S BOX

- ELEVEN CDS, EACH REPRESENTING A DOCTOR -
- INCLUDING PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED MUSIC SPANNING 50 YEARS -
- PACKAGED IN A WOODEN TARDIS MODEL -
- COMPREHENSIVE NOTES AND INFORMATION -

* limited to 1000 copies *

-----

I didn't see a price but with it limited to just 1000 copies I can't imagine that this will last long. Anybody here getting this?

Definitely getting this if I can although I entirely agree that it's unlikely to last long and I imagine that it's unlikely to be the sort of thing that's so expensive (like the Elfman/Burton box) that people will be hugely put off buying it so demand will probably be quite high. I wonder if the register your interest emails will make them reconsider the number. After all, if LLL can sell far more of their Star Trek music set (albeit with slightly more standard packaging) then given the more current and worldwide doctor who fan base if think 1000 might be a bit low...

I think 1000 is definitely way too low unless the price is really steep. I imagine it will go as fast as the Bernard Herrmann at Fox set if it is priced in the $200-300 range.

I quite agree, given that it will appeal to the rather large Doctor Who fanbase as well as film music fans (a much wider base than Bernard Herrmann I would suggest) it does seem quite a low limit. Maybe that's why you have to register interest. If they get many thousands of votes of interest, perhaps they will up the print run... Still, looking forward to having a rather cool TARDIS box on my shelf sometime soon!

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 3:40 AM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

I wonder if the low limit is related in part to the inclusion of the Debney 8th Doctor score and US reuse fees.

Also given the 4CD sett is only £12.49, my guess is this special set won't be more than £100

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 2:14 PM   
 By:   IntoTheVoid   (Member)

Amazon's US site does not have the 4 disc soundtrack up for preorder, instead they have this in their digital downloads (MP3) section....

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Anniversary-Collection-Television/dp/B00GUZNSGM/ref=sr_1_2?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-2&keywords=doctor+who+50th

And, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:_The_50th_Anniversary_Collection

"Also released in a condensed 2-disc digital download release in the US."

But, just in case, I've emailed Silva Screen to confirm whether or not this will be available on cd as well.

I called Amazon (US), but they didn't have any further information.

Posted:   Dec 1, 2013 - 7:32 PM   
 By:   IntoTheVoid   (Member)

From: https://www.facebook.com/SilvaScreenRecords/posts/600807459956718?comment_id=5899140&offset=0&total_comments=8

Silva Screen Records "In the US, there will be a unique 2 CD version of the 50th Anniversary set. If you want the 4CD or Tardis sets I'm afraid you will have to order them from UK sites. The Tardis set will ONLY be available from the Silva website anyway."

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 10:33 AM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

I don't anticipate being able to afford the set before it sells out (I still haven't even been able to get the Star Trek TOS set yet frown ), but I've sent Silva an email anyway, just in case.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 10:51 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

My interest in the 11-disc set is contingent on: reasonable price, and a good amount of unreleased material from Doctors 9 through 11. Since that information is not available, I'm sitting on my hands for the e-mail interest survey. Not that they're going to need my help to sell this one out, at 1000 copies.

Posted:   Dec 2, 2013 - 10:55 AM   
 By:   JB Fan   (Member)

My interest in the 11-disc set is contingent on: reasonable price, and a good amount of unreleased material from Doctors 9 through 11. Since that information is not available, I'm sitting on my hands for the e-mail interest survey. Not that they're going to need my help to sell this one out, at 1000 copies.

I don't be so enthusiastic now - I think that they will use most tracks from series 1-2 for Disc 9 (maybe SS will add several new tracks).
But there is enough material from series 3-7 CDs (+ specials!), with which they can fit discs 10-11...
And this will be really sad (of course if it's happens in this pessimistic way!)

Posted:   Dec 4, 2013 - 7:30 AM   

With all this news from LLL, Varese, Kritzerland & Quartet we missed part 3 from review of future box-set!
http://blogtorwho.blogspot.ru/2013/12/exclusive-artwork-notes-from-11-disc.html

So, we will have this episodes from 3rd Doctor's era:
  • Spearhead from Space
  • Doctor Who and the Silurians
  • The Ambassadors of Death
  • Inferno
  • The Mind of Evil
  • The Claws of Axos
  • The Curse of Peladon
  • The Sea Devils
  • The Mutants
  • The Three Doctors
  • Carnival of Monsters
  • Frontier in Space
  • Death to the Daleks
  • The Monster of Peladon
  • Planet of the Spiders

•  
     Posted:   Dec 10, 2013 - 3:35 AM   

Part 4 from review of future box-set!
    http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/exclusive-artwork-notes-from-11-disc_10.html

So, we will have this episodes from 4th Doctor's era:
  • Robot
  • The Ark in Space
  • The Sontaran Experiment
  • Revenge of the Cybermen
  • Terror of the Zygons
  • The Android Invasion
  • The Brain of Morbius
  • The Seeds of Doom
  • The Masque of Mandragora
  • The Invisible Enemy
  • The Sun Makers
  • The Invasion of Time
  • Destiny of the Daleks
  • Nightmare of Eden
  • The Leisure Hive
  • Meglos
  • Full Circle
  • Warriors' Gate
  • The Keeper of Traken
  • Logopolis

•  
     Posted:   Dec 10, 2013 - 2:56 PM   
     By:   Grozebear   (Member)

Part 4 from review of future box-set!
    http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/exclusive-artwork-notes-from-11-disc_10.html

Thanks for the update - wish that City Of Death was on there, but I'm not complaining - just happy that they are releasing some great stuff! I also really wish that it wasn't limited to just 1000 copies though - regardless, I will do my best to get a set!

Has anyone in the UK gotten the 4 disc set yet? I haven't received mine yet and just interested in reading what people's thoughts were regarding this set. Seems that it's basically just a 'taste' of what is available in the 11 disc set.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 6:59 AM   

From the newest email:

There will be a seven day timed pre-order to make sure that everyone has a chance to order one of these limited items. The opening and closing dates of the pre-order and exclusive link to buy will be published on this newsletter shortly.

When the pre-order closes you will no longer be able to purchase the TARDIS Box Set and it will not be available in any other on-line retailers or shops. The current price is £135 plus postage and packing and we will deliver to anywhere in the world. There is a possibility that the price will be less than this, in which case you will be charged the lowest price when your order is completed.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 6:35 PM   
     By:   ST-321   (Member)

So the price is about $220 US, what the LLR Star Trek TOS set came to. That's a lot but I guess that's not unexpected.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 6:40 PM   
     By:   Ray Worley   (Member)

From the newest email:

There will be a seven day timed pre-order to make sure that everyone has a chance to order one of these limited items. The opening and closing dates of the pre-order and exclusive link to buy will be published on this newsletter shortly.

When the pre-order closes you will no longer be able to purchase the TARDIS Box Set and it will not be available in any other on-line retailers or shops. The current price is £135 plus postage and packing and we will deliver to anywhere in the world. There is a possibility that the price will be less than this, in which case you will be charged the lowest price when your order is completed.

I really hate this announcement of an announcement of an announcement way Silva has been handling this release. Just tell us the dates of the pre-order already!

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 9:37 PM   
     By:   Julian K   (Member)

So the price is about $220 US, what the LLR Star Trek TOS set came to. That's a lot but I guess that's not unexpected.

At least with the Trek box, the vast majority of the music was unreleased.

At best only about a third of the music on this Doctor Who set won't have been available on CD before.

Posted:   Dec 13, 2013 - 10:38 PM   
     By:   Dalboz17   (Member)

I really hate this announcement of an announcement of an announcement way Silva has been handling this release. Just tell us the dates of the pre-order already!

While I don't disagree that I wanna know the pre-order dates, I actually MUCH prefer the way this release has been handled to most other limited soundtrack releases. We know what this release is, what you're getting for it, and now we also know the price in advance. This way, you know IF you want to be involved in the pre-order process when it happens, as opposed to the normal "SECRET RELEASE" policy we're used to for limited soundtracks: we know a time and date, but everyone just guesses on what the title is. I understand it's a fun guessing game for some, but I'd rather know what the release is & it's details so I don't waste my time. Especially now, people have the chance to decide if they want the 4-disc WHO set or the 11-disc since all the cards are on the table in advance.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2013 - 12:19 AM   

Well, I may say that £135 + shipping (add another £15-25?!) is rather expensive.
    I really have great doubt now - 4 CD-set is for £12.49 and I really didn't except that 11 CD-set will cost more than £75-90!
    So we only can suggest that this box itself will cost £35, and all discs will have "standard" price - about £9. But in 4 CD-set they offer 1 disc for £3! How they can made so low price for 4 CD-set?

Posted:   Dec 14, 2013 - 3:04 AM   

Yeah I think £135 is really rather expensive for the set (particularly based no the 4CD set price), I'm curious what the reasoning is for it too be so much.

I imagine there are more fee's involved in getting CD8 out.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2013 - 9:32 AM   
     By:   Verity   (Member)

This 11 disc release is such a disappointment for me.

The price is NOT a casual fan price. Only hardcore fans would fork out that kind of $ for an 11 disc set.

However, the contents of this release look more like a casual fan "sampler" release.

If I'm going to pay over $200 for a soundtrack release, I don't want to buy 11 discs of "suites". I am much more interested in complete soundtrack versions. Added to that the annoying tendency of this set to contain a substantial amount of material already available on CD makes this a nonpurchase for me.

Compare this to the Lalaland Star Trek TOS release, where you get a comparable amount of CDs at a comparable price - only with the TOS boxset you get every note of music ever written/recorded for the series. It's complete. It's what every hardcore fans' dream was. Fantastic, please, take my money. wink

With the 50th Who boxset, I get to purchase lots of cues I already owned on CD, and trimmed down suites of everything else that I want complete. Which is a big bummer, because I really, REALLY wanted to like this release.

I remain hopeful that 2014 might see some other Silva/Who releases more to my liking.

Posted:   Dec 14, 2013 - 12:21 PM   
     By:   La La Land Records   (Member)

Where on the site can you pre order?

Posted:   Dec 14, 2013 - 12:23 PM   
     By:   Glenn Butler   (Member)

I hope the full tracklist is out before the preorder period, but even if there's substantial unreleased music from the 9th and 10th Doctors (I'm not sure what highlights are left from the 11th) I can't really see myself dropping $200-plus on this. Great for whatever classic-era fans can afford it, though.