Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Oct 5, 2012 - 3:35 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Rat Race has shipped.

Posted:   Oct 5, 2012 - 5:23 PM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

23 PACES TO BAKER STREET will be shown on Turner Classic Movies in the U.S. on October 16.

Posted:   Oct 6, 2012 - 9:30 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

23 PACES TO BAKER STREET will be shown on Turner Classic Movies in the U.S. on October 16.

It turns up about six times year in the UK on Chanel/Film Four, in a good 'scope & stereo transfer. I like it becouse of the mid-fifties shots of London. Another films that shows up occasionally is White Feather, another fine score by Friedhofer, no big themes as I remember, but good stuff & lots of it. I've never heard it talked about for a release, maybe the tapes are no more; it's easy to forget these tapes are over 55 years old, & a by-product of the movie, & never meant to be released.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 2:56 AM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

My copy of The Rat Race arrived early this morning, yippee! I listened to the first four tracks while having breakfast, it's terrific! One of my 'most wanted' film scores since the 60s I have it at last and it was worth the wait. Thanks Bruce and Kritzerland it's a dream come true!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 12:25 PM   

Wow, that was FAST.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 12:47 PM   
 By:   Niall from Ireland   (Member)

Wow, that was FAST.

Yes Bruce, it was super fast, it arrived this morning at 8:45AM...I even began to wonder if you had delivered it in person in the Supersonic Brucemobile! But, here it is and I'm loving it...you are on a roll right now...let's keep it going everybody, we are all winners on the Kritzerland ticket, yippee!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 12:59 PM   
 By:   Angelillo   (Member)

Wow, that was FAST.

I don't know what kind of magic there's behind this but your shipping delivery is the fastest I've ever seen. WAYWARD BUS took only FOUR DAYS from USA to France : you beat EMS + Chronopost. Amazing.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 1:18 PM   

Wow, that was FAST.

I don't know what kind of magic there's behind this but your shipping delivery is the fastest I've ever seen. WAYWARD BUS took only FOUR DAYS from USA to France : you beat EMS + Chronopost. Amazing.

You can never tell. Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's ten weeks. I got a paypal dispute this morning from an angry German fellow because his David and Bathsheba hadn't arrived - in two weeks - that kind of impatience just drives me batty, especially when it shipped four weeks ahead of the official shipping date. I refunded him and told him to pay for it when it arrives, something I will never do again.

Then he wrote me an angry letter accusing us of using some "slow" way of shipping - I informed him there is no magical "slow" way of shipping to Europe - we all do air post - there is no other choice. They just don't seem to understand that these packages are at the whim of customs in each country - obviously some let these tiny packages through quickly, while just as obviously sometimes they hold them for weeks for no reason.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 6:25 PM   
 By:   quiller007   (Member)

My cd of THE RAT RACE arrived today, too. Apropos to the title.
I've just finished listening to the whole enchilada. It was so great
I have the Fur Blues now that it is over. Mucho Thanks, Bruce!

Den

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 8:16 PM   
 By:   The CinemaScope Cat   (Member)

Then he wrote me an angry letter accusing us of using some "slow" way of shipping - I informed him there is no magical "slow" way of shipping to Europe - we all do air post - there is no other choice. They just don't seem to understand that these packages are at the whim of customs in each country - obviously some let these tiny packages through quickly, while just as obviously sometimes they hold them for weeks for no reason.

As someone with a region free DVD player, I've ordered countless DVDs from Australia, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain. Once shipped, it arrives when it arrives and some seem to sail through customs while others are held up. I've had overseas DVDs arrive in about 10 days and I've had some that took almost three months before they arrived. One must simply be patient.

Even the U.S. mail system isn't reliable. I had an order from Intrada that took 2 1/2 weeks to arrive from San Francisco to Los Angeles!

btw, my RAT RACE arrived today (along with MEN IN WAR) and I still can't believe one of my Holy Grails has been released. It was a title I was doubtful would ever see the light of day. Thank you!

My other two Holy Grails are Tiomkin's THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY and Bernstein's ON THE WATERFRONT. Hint, hint!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 8:42 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Received The Rat Race today and I'm delighted with it. Bernstein in great form!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 10:27 PM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

What a shame that this wonderful Elmer Bernstein score has been hidden away for all these years! It's great that many of the Bernstein scores once represented only by re-recorded themes on Bernstein compilations (THE RAT RACE, ANNA LUCASTA, A GIRL NAMED TAMIKO etc.) are at last being made available. But of course, we don't yet have ALL of them, so your work is not finished. I don't suppose you are free to tell us which label is/was working on TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, hmmm Bruce?

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 10:40 PM   

What a shame that this wonderful Elmer Bernstein score has been hidden away for all these years! It's great that many of the Bernstein scores once represented only by re-recorded themes on Bernstein compilations (THE RAT RACE, ANNA LUCASTA, A GIRL NAMED TAMIKO etc.) are at last being made available. But of course, we don't yet have ALL of them, so your work is not finished. I don't suppose you are free to tell us which label is/was working on TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, hmmm Bruce?

Given the studio involved, it can only be one of two labels.

Posted:   Oct 10, 2012 - 1:32 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

Is my favorite Duning any closer?

Posted:   Oct 11, 2012 - 11:04 AM   
 By:   PFK   (Member)

Got my Rat race yesterday. Only knew the main theme from the Bernstein compilation LP in the 60s. It's a fine score, Elmer in his prime. Any 50s & 60s Bernstein is a must-buy for me. Thanks!

Posted:   Oct 11, 2012 - 5:46 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

Vintage Bernstein, did the TV "Batman" theme come after "RAT RACE"??

Bruce- Any chance of doing Bernstein's "THE MIRACLE"?

Posted:   Oct 11, 2012 - 5:53 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Then he wrote me an angry letter accusing us of using some "slow" way of shipping - I informed him there is no magical "slow" way of shipping to Europe - we all do air post - there is no other choice.

Draw speed lines on the address. That will encourage the mailman to deliver it faster.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2012 - 5:54 PM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

Listened to the CD today. Great stuff!

Posted:   Oct 12, 2012 - 1:51 AM   
 By:   Stefan Huber   (Member)

Is my favorite Duning any closer?

Houseboat? wink

Posted:   Oct 14, 2012 - 12:26 PM   
 By:   James MacMillan   (Member)

AFM personnel listing for THE RAT RACE now up on Kritzerland's web-site. Thank you, Mr Kimmel!

- JMM.