Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 7, 2012 - 10:18 AM   
 By:   mstanwick856   (Member)

My discs finally arrived. smile

Amazing score. Now with five discs of excitement!

Anyone in the UK received theirs yet?

Posted:   Dec 7, 2012 - 12:24 PM   
 By:   book1245   (Member)

Basil Poledouris is one of the masters of film music ! If Barbarian was your first Poledouris CD, all I would say is do yourself a favor and if you can pick up some more. Conan The Destroyer, Farewell To The King, Wind, Starship Troopers, The Blue Lagoon, On Deadly Ground, Hot Shots Part Deux, It's My Party, Under Seige 2, Flesh + Blood, Robo Cop 1 and 3, Switchback and The Touch (if you can find one) The Jungle Book, Lassie, For Love Of The Game, Cherry 2000, Red Dawn, White Fang, Quigly Down Under, and Lonesome Dove to name a few !!! It is hard to go wrong with any Poledouris release. The man was a truly awesome talent and if you ever get to see the last concert he did before his untimely death, a wonderful person !

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll be sure to pick up The Destroyer when Intrada releases that as well. They are doing so, correct? I'm sure I saw people talking about how Intrada had confirmed that The Destroyer will follow at some point.

Posted:   Dec 7, 2012 - 12:34 PM   
 By:   d-udo   (Member)

Anyone noticed the unfortunatley wrong editing in the "Defilers" Track ?
Intrada included the whole "Anvil of Crom" Segment in the Defilers Track. But in the movie itself it is an edited version of "Anvil".
A guy on YT edited the complete Parts ("Warpaint/The Kitchen/The Orgy/ Defilers") together in the right (Film) edits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBYOU6xDYbQ

The right edits was also played in the re-recordings

Posted:   Dec 7, 2012 - 12:49 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll be sure to pick up The Destroyer when Intrada releases that as well. They are doing so, correct? I'm sure I saw people talking about how Intrada had confirmed that The Destroyer will follow at some point.

To narrow down that list a bit, if you like Barbarian, check out the upcoming release of Destroyer for sure. A few others: The Touch is a big fantasy score from the end of Poledouris' career. The Jungle Book is an incredibly fun adventure score. Flesh + Blood is a good companion piece to the Conan scores, a more Rózsa-esque score to a medieval adventure. Starship Troopers is an excellent sci-fi score but is underrepresented on album (but may never get an expanded/Deluxe release for various reasons). Lonesome Dove is a wonderful bit of Americana, and Quigley Down Under a very fun mesh of Poledouris' western and adventure styles.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2012 - 1:16 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

The well-performed re-recording is sabotaged by horribly stressed sound in the loud passages. One need look no further than Track 1 for the first of several examples. Try the few seconds from 3:15 to the end of the track through headphones. It's the audio comfort equivalent of three people sharing the same seat in a passenger plane. Maybe people with short legs won't mind as much as others though.
My opinion is that the re-recording has some of the most cramped high-powered orchestral reproduction I've heard in years, in total contrast to all Tadlow's other magnificent releases, including the excellent Conan the Destroyer.

IMHO, perhaps a hearing test is in order?

Because that clearly isn't the CD I'm playing and it appears to be the same recording.

Ford A. Thaxton

This is part of what Mr. Fitzpatrick had to say a while back:

"The score is full of elements that can be mistaken for digital clipping but are probably natural acoustic artefacts or at worst some small amount of analogue overload at the microphone.... I remember there were a couple of moments where the horns or tam tam mics where slightly overloaded, but this was 1 channel within a 100 track plus multi-track mix - surely this shouldn't spoil anyones enjoyment of the overall effect."

Here's what I say: There's nothing "small" or "slight" about the overload. It's a Wheel Of Pain for the ears. And knowing the supreme level of Mr. Fitzpatrick's other Tadlow recordings, I don't believe for a second that he is truly satisfied with it either.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2012 - 1:24 AM   
 By:   Ford A. Thaxton   (Member)

Here's what I say

Nothing that has any bearing on reality or this recording.

Just get your hearing tested already, that would appear to be your problem.

Ford A. Thaxton

Posted:   Dec 8, 2012 - 7:44 AM   
 By:   orbital   (Member)

Always grumpy Mr Wrathbone is.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2012 - 8:42 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Yes. Arrived Thursday. A thing of beauty.

Posted:   Dec 8, 2012 - 11:08 AM   

Yes. Arrived Thursday. A thing of beauty.

Arrgh!

Posted:   Dec 8, 2012 - 11:46 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Mine arrived at my post office this morning, meaning I should get it in my mailbox come Monday. big grin

Posted:   Dec 8, 2012 - 4:24 PM   
 By:   oyarsa   (Member)

Hmmm... I just listened to the samples and I will be thinking a bit before buying. Sound clear enough but the orchestra is really tiny. I don't remember the sound in the bluray is so err.. small.

I may be spoiled by the Tadlow release but it's been a while since the last hearing and still the samples sound strange.

:-|

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 1:00 AM   

Mine arrived at my post office this morning, meaning I should get it in my mailbox come Monday. big grin

Maybe mine is at that point as well. A hint of joy smile

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 2:31 AM   
 By:   tyuan   (Member)

The multitrack mixing is not so good:
trumpets volume too high
drums and chorus volumes too low
viola and cello volumes too low
clash volume too high

Not a mess like Condorman mixing (it sucks very bad), but this is not a correct volume balance mixing. Douglass should listen to the original mixing before working on multitracks, instead I'm afraid he work on his taste, not on the original volume mixing... Probably he likes trumpets very much and he hates chorus voices and drums.....

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 9:16 AM   
 By:   Tom Servo   (Member)

Hmmm... I just listened to the samples and I will be thinking a bit before buying. Sound clear enough but the orchestra is really tiny. I don't remember the sound in the bluray is so err.. small.

I may be spoiled by the Tadlow release but it's been a while since the last hearing and still the samples sound strange.

:-|

Why judge the album from online samples? Nothing compares to listening to the actual CD.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

trumpets volume too high
clash volume too high

Not a mess like Condorman mixing (it sucks very bad), but this is not a correct volume balance mixing. Douglass should listen to the original mixing before working on multitracks, instead I'm afraid he work on his taste, not on the original volume mixing... Probably he likes trumpets very much and he hates chorus voices and drums.....

In my opinion the original Poledouris album mix is preferable.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   tyuan   (Member)

I agree.
This new mix is not a mess, but it's not as good as the original one.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 4:29 PM   

Why judge the album from online samples? Nothing compares to listening to the actual CD.

I know but I do listen to samples a lot before purchasing anything. Kind of ritual for me ;-)
Anyway, the great samples made me buy their last releases from Mancini (Hatari and Charade).

Point is I love this soundtrack too much. I have the original CD so the CD 3 in this release is really not needed for me. And I have the Tadlow release and I love it.

In the end, because I just spent about $200 in other releases, including Shane, The Untouchables and Outlander, and I need to look after my money right now :-)

I might buy it, eventually.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 4:33 PM   

trumpets volume too high
clash volume too high

In my opinion the original Poledouris album mix is preferable.

I see I am not the only one "not liking" this. And I guess you have the actual CD...

What I said, I will think very much before I buy this one... again.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 5:38 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

I also agree. While I'm not sorry to have bought this -- it is a treat to finally have this complete score in its original recording -- my first impression is that this release has sacrificed a good deal of power for a little clarity. Of the three versions of this I own, my current order of preference is:

1) Varèse
2) Tadlow
3) Intrada

That said, I've only listened to the Intrada once and will certainly be spinning it a good deal more, and my impressions are certainly subject to change as I grow more accustomed to the mastering differences from the version I've been listening to for so many years.

Posted:   Dec 9, 2012 - 10:58 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

So I guess I wasn't off base when I first heard samples and thought they were worse than the Varese...

Between that, the redundant disc 3, and the mono track on disc 2, I'll alas have to stick to the Varese and, well, the rerecording despite the slight audio niggles is still fantastic.