Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 4:02 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

I'm utterly stumped. A rejected score that's been released before from either 20th Century Fox or Paramount (minusing things from Varese from 1990 onwards), one the composers previously on Kritzerland, not from: '50's/'60's/'70's, and it should be easy?

I can't find anything that matches the clues. I went throug the 1980's, the 1990's, 2000 to 2010, and I even checked from the 1940's and below.

Nothing seems to fit all the clues.

EDIT:
The Varese Sarabande CD Club release of "Alien Nation" is sold out. But so soon on that one? 20th Century Fox, compsoer previously on Kritzerland (Goldsmith), rejected score released but not the replacement.

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 4:17 PM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

I'm utterly stumped. A rejected score that's been released before from either 20th Century Fox or Paramount (minusing things from Varese from 1990 onwards), one the composers previously on Kritzerland, not from: '50's/'60's/'70's, and it should be easy?

I can't find anything that matches the clues. I went throug the 1980's, the 1990's, 2000 to 2010, and I even checked from the 1940's and below.

Nothing seems to fit all the clues.

EDIT:
The Varese Sarabande CD Club release of "Alien Nation" is sold out. But so soon on that one? 20th Century Fox, compsoer previously on Kritzerland (Goldsmith), rejected score released but not the replacement.

That's not really a period piece though, is it?

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 4:19 PM   
 By:   Senn555   (Member)

It's not a period film, i.e. a film taking place in days of old. And it's none of the above smile

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 4:19 PM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

Stars and Bars? Bernstein and Myers?

Myers was an Englishman and the film was released by Columbia...

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 4:23 PM   
 By:   AdamoH   (Member)

Just got my copy..this is a wonderful score!! it reminds me of of Dave Grusin's score to The Yakuza-great combination of orchestral,flute and saxaphone....great job,Bruce..i dont normally post i tend to read more but wanted to share my enthusiasm.smile Thanks! i have no idea what the next Cd will be..hope its a good one..smile

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 5:07 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

I'm utterly stumped. A rejected score that's been released before...

He didn't say it's the rejected score that's been released before (I think), but rather, one of the two has been released before.

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 5:11 PM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

About nine posts above yours he did.

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 5:32 PM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

About nine posts above yours he did.

Thanks. Missed that one.

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 5:33 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Alien Nation - Jerry Goldsmith and Curt Sobel?

Well, wouldn't that be a kick in the pants? The OOP Goldsmith score with the world premiere release of Curt Sobel's score to Alien Nation. I'd be dancing a jig, let me tell you, because I happen to really like Mr. Sobel's score (sacrilege, I know, but I think it works much better and it has amazing guitar work by Tim May and one of the keyboard players is the great Mike Lang). Best of all, Mr. Sobel has signed 100 booklets, which will be available to the first 100 people who purchase two Kritzerland CDs.

I'm quite fond of the film and while I don't normally love synth scores, this one has enough acoustic stuff, plus some wonderful mood stuff that I've always enjoyed it. I also think the Varese booklet notes were so insulting and dismissive to Mr. Sobel and the film (big surprise) that Nick and I felt strongly that Sobel's score needed a release.

Our 80s friends should love this one and I don't anticipate it being around long.

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 5:44 PM   
 By:   Senn555   (Member)

Wow, I finally guessed one of these correctly.

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 6:09 PM   
 By:   Maleficio   (Member)

Well, wouldn't that be a kick in the pants? The OOP Goldsmith score with the world premiere release of Curt Sobel's score to Alien Nation. I'd be dancing a jig, let me tell you, because I happen to really like Mr. Sobel's score (sacrilege, I know, but I think it works much better and it has amazing guitar work by Tim May and one of the keyboard players is the great Mike Lang). Best of all, Mr. Sobel has signed 100 booklets, which will be available to the first 100 people who purchase two Kritzerland CDs.

I'm quite fond of the film and while I don't normally love synth scores, this one has enough acoustic stuff, plus some wonderful mood stuff that I've always enjoyed it. I also think the Varese booklet notes were so insulting and dismissive to Mr. Sobel and the film (big surprise) that Nick and I felt strongly that Sobel's score needed a release.

Our 80s friends should love this one and I don't anticipate it being around long.

Will sound it better?

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 6:45 PM   

Will sound it better?

Well, since the Curt Sobel hasn't been released before, it can't really sound better, but it sounds amazing. I think Mike M cleaned up the Goldsmith but it's minor stuff.

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 7:04 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

Right on, BK! I actually bought a homemade CD-R of Sobel's score on ebay about 12 years ago when I didn't know any better, and even though I liked the music I returned it to the seller because the sound quality was so awful. Looking forward to hearing it sounding good and proper, Kritzerland style!

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 7:31 PM   
 By:   DeviantMan   (Member)

Wow,
What could possibly be next??

Brad Fiedel's GLADIATOR??!?

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 11:18 PM   

Apparently our 80s fanatics, who must have every score from every film in that decade haven't been peeking into this thread.

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 11:29 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Apparently our 80s fanatics, who must have every score from every film in that decade haven't been peeking into this thread.

But once word gets around the thread will skyrocket! smile

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 11:39 PM   

But once word gets around the thread will skyrocket! smile

Well, frankly if it were any other label who normally trawls this territory, there'd be five threads about it already. No one expects this from us smile

Posted:   Sep 26, 2013 - 11:48 PM   
 By:   ajhfsm   (Member)

Once fanatics read Jerry Goldsmith, it's OOP.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2013 - 6:42 AM   
 By:   SBD   (Member)

Wow. ALIEN NATION? Much as I love Goldsmith's score, I'll be the first to admit that this would be at the bottom of a lot of lists of 'scores you'd picture getting more than one release'.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2013 - 6:48 AM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

Wow, this release is so un-Kritzer like...!