Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 7:34 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

^^Made me laugh!

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 9:07 PM   
 By:   lp   (Member)

Zimmer did compose the theme for The Rock, but it is almost indistinguishable from the original theme Nick Glennie-Smith composed for The Rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIsslv8_7LM
so my understanding is Zimmer took inpiration from Glennie-Smith.

I disagree because I can hear the difference. It's a much more assure melodic line than Nick's.

Gladiator's most famous track is "Now we're free", and it's by Klaus Badelt.

Where did you source this information from?

Pirates' most famous track is "He is a pirate" and it's also by Badelt.

That's actually written by Geoff Zanelli using Zimmer's theme. It's a great interpretation though and Zanelli is extremely talented, albeit very underrated.

Crimson Tide is orchestrated by Glennie-Smith. Considering Zimmer's limited capability with an orchestra, I'd say it's 50% a Glennie-Smith score.

That's a strong assertion once you realize that the score is 95% electronic and most of the orchestration involves "Eternal Father, Strong to Save".

And I'd also add The Lion King, the most famous part (the African music) is by Lebo M.

Unless you can say that he wrote the themes too, quite a strong assertion that's incorrect.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 10:17 PM   
 By:   facehugger   (Member)

I disagree because I can hear the difference. It's a much more assure melodic line than Nick's.

Yes there is subtle difference, but both tracks are of the same "Zimmer power anthem" style. The difference is as big as "Superman March" and "Indiana Jones March".

Where did you source this information from?

Klaus Badelt's soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/klausbadelt/sets/gladiator

That's actually written by Geoff Zanelli using Zimmer's theme. It's a great interpretation though and Zanelli is extremely talented, albeit very underrated.

Again, Klaus Badelt listed this cue under his name: https://soundcloud.com/klausbadelt/sets/pirates-of-the-caribbean

That's a strong assertion once you realize that the score is 95% electronic and most of the orchestration involves "Eternal Father, Strong to Save".

The main theme of Crimson Tide is quite orchestral.

As for Leebo M and Lion King, I admit I don't really know the behind-the-scene story. Yet, Leebo M carries his style into any score featuring him (Power of One, Dinosaur, Congo, etc.), no matter who he is collaborating with.

Posted:   Jul 20, 2013 - 11:24 PM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

I think you're introducing a straw man, and I don't intend to go down that route. Enjoy the discussion.

I'm not introducing anything. You are the one that implied that non-English speakers should engage only with other non-English speakers. And ridiculing their spelling errors to boot. Bad form, if I may say so.

I'm not trying to get into a fracas with you. I'm merely pointing out that any non-native English speakers can contribute here and calling them out on their spelling (or grammar & syntax, for that matter) is arrogant and intolerant.

Or do I misunderstand you?

And that's the straw man I was talking about. I was unaware that English isn't his first language.

I've always welcomed non-native English speakers and have complimented them on many occasions. If you want to read anything more into it then that's my fault for giving you the opportunity.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 1:25 AM   

And that's the straw man I was talking about. I was unaware that English isn't his first language.
I've always welcomed non-native English speakers and have complimented them on many occasions. If you want to read anything more into it then that's my fault for giving you the opportunity.

You said this:
"Have you actually run out of Japanese people to argue with?"
And, incredulously, you said it AFTER you learned he was a non-English speaker. I do not see how such a question is in any way relevant OR justifiable. Maybe it's just me.

Perhaps this exchange could have been avoided if you had not been so quick to jump on something as trivial as spelling errors in the first place. It leads to too many presumptions and none of them constructive.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 1:49 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

You said this:
"Have you actually run out of Japanese people to argue with?"
And, incredulously, you said it AFTER you learned he was a non-English speaker. I do not see how such a question is in any way relevant OR justifiable. Maybe it's just me.

Perhaps this exchange could have been avoided if you had not been so quick to jump on something as trivial as spelling errors in the first place. It leads to too many presumptions and none of them constructive.

Agreed. As I said, my fault.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 2:18 AM   

Agreed. As I said, my fault.

My comments themselves came perilously close to those of a self-righteous busybody, particularly when the other person in question appears to have let the matter drop. So it would not be for me to say anything more on the topic. (Now we can get back to the comedy.)

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 3:06 AM   
 By:   Moonie   (Member)

Ahh, what a friendly place this is lately.

nothing changes smile

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 5:48 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

If the Gladiator thing is true (it seems to be based on Badelts soundcloud page) then it's Badelt whose music I like from Gladiator not Zimmer's. Now We Are Free is my favourite track. All the noisy action tracks I skip over and which seem to be Zimmer's.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 6:03 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

http://bubonka.com/amazing-spider-man-2-must-read-marc-webb-on-goblins-internet-rumors-and-thinking-bigger/

"[Zimmer] may have another collaborator, but it’s too early to discuss that."

Could it be Hans "Doom" Zimmer and James "Danger" Horner?

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 6:55 AM   
 By:   Trent Easton Navarro   (Member)

If the Gladiator thing is true (it seems to be based on Badelts soundcloud page) then it's Badelt whose music I like from Gladiator not Zimmer's. Now We Are Free is my favourite track. All the noisy action tracks I skip over and which seem to be Zimmer's.

Zimmer never claimed he composed "Now You Are Free". In the credits of the booklet it says he co-wrote it with Badelt and Gerrard. Also in the notes of the "More Music From..." album, Zimmer says that "Now You Are Free" is Badelt's creation by combining Zimmer's "Earth" theme and Gerrard "Elysium" into an uplifting track for the end credits. So this isn't some great conspiracy unmasked or anything.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 7:05 AM   
 By:   jpteacher568   (Member)

After Batman lost his gothic edge and Superman lost his sweeping glory, what is Spider-Man going to loose?

His virginity.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 7:41 AM   
 By:   DavidCoscina   (Member)

Zimmer never claimed he composed "Now You Are Free". In the credits of the booklet it says he co-wrote it with Badelt and Gerrard. Also in the notes of the "More Music From..." album, Zimmer says that "Now You Are Free" is Badelt's creation by combining Zimmer's "Earth" theme and Gerrard "Elysium" into an uplifting track for the end credits. So this isn't some great conspiracy unmasked or anything.

Good to know thanks. Also I wasnt going to make a big deal about it, i just observed that the tracks that I enjoy the most from that score are apparently Badelt's and not Zimmer's.

No conspiracy- just didn't know this info. I normally don't look at individual tracks to see who wrote what when I buy a soundtrack and the composer's name is on the front of the CD... Okay that was a little facetious.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 9:34 AM   
 By:   facehugger   (Member)

Klaus Badelt has a particular talent of combining pre-recorded ethnic chant with a Western sound.

If you haven't already, check out his "Freedom of the Wa" track from The Promise. Reportedly the singing was dug up by him in deep China. He's got quite an ear for this kind of stuff.

Also those chants from The Time Machine.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 10:24 AM   
 By:   BackToTheFutureFan   (Member)

If you haven't already, check out his "Freedom of the Wa" track from The Promise. Reportedly the singing was dug up by him in deep China. He's got quite an ear for this kind of stuff.

The Promise is easily one of my favorite scores of all time. Recommended.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 12:47 PM   
 By:   Bernd   (Member)

After Batman lost his gothic edge and Superman lost his sweeping glory, what is Spider-Man going to loose?

His virginity.

smile

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 12:56 PM   
 By:   stay-puft   (Member)

After Batman lost his gothic edge

Batman was never really gothic(in the comics at least)

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 2:46 PM   

Also those chants from The Time Machine.

Google "Karl Jenkins - Adiemus"

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 3:04 PM   

[
Yes there is subtle difference, but both tracks are of the same "Zimmer power anthem" style. The difference is as big as "Superman March" and "Indiana Jones March".

Of course. But the point is that Zimmer's version is better, less Ethnic sounding, and more appropriate for the score.

Klaus Badelt's soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/klausbadelt/sets/gladiator

Did the idea come from Klaus or did he just wrote according to some specifications. I think people tend to forget that, as a person who's headlining the score, he's directly responsible for what get into the movie, and Hans is as responsible for all of the tracks that Klaus has attributed assumed the "written by".

Again, Klaus Badelt listed this cue under his name: https://soundcloud.com/klausbadelt/sets/pirates-of-the-caribbean

I don't have the source available, but I've read differently. Too bad.

The main theme of Crimson Tide is quite orchestral.

And of course, you've also know the extent of how orchestrating Hans' scores really mean?

As for Leebo M and Lion King, I admit I don't really know the behind-the-scene story. Yet, Leebo M carries his style into any score featuring him (Power of One, Dinosaur, Congo, etc.), no matter who he is collaborating with.

Lebo M's style isn't unique to Lebo, AFAIK.

Posted:   Jul 21, 2013 - 3:06 PM   

After Batman lost his gothic edge

Batman was never really gothic(in the comics at least)

LOL, blame Tim Burton for that.