Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about FSM CD: Black Sunday

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 5:19 AM   
 By:   Urs Lesse   (Member)

FSM has made a special Thor edition with some of the tracks scratched out.

Yeah, innit great?

LOL! I doubt the Thor edition will sell its 10,000 copies though. But that would be solely due to the slightly imperfect artwork, of course. wink

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   TownerFan   (Member)

I bet SPACECAMP will be re-released at some point (there were talks several years ago that SuperCollector was reissuing the original album, but it never materialized). A straight LP reissue would be just fine. However, I don't know who controls the rights for this score.

I'm sure also we'll see FAMILY PLOT soon and probably an expanded DRACULA as well. I hope someone is working on a complete and restored 1941--this is a hell of a score that deserves justice! smile

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   Grimsdyke   (Member)

I can't believe anyone is picking fault with LK's urging to buy it as soon as possible. Other labels say the same thing but in a darker way – by shoving "1500 limited edition" on it they are basically telling you "Buy it in the next 24 hours or you can go to hell and pay three times as much for it on eBay". And that's the last we see of that title for another ten or twenty years, or maybe ever.

That's the Oakland-we-want-our-shelves-clean style of doing business !

Lukas is the best !

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 5:35 AM   
 By:   Socks   (Member)

Hey Lukas, can we get some sales figures at some point?

You know, I feel like yes, I *should* have waited till something else came out, but at the same time I'm being pickier about what I buy this year (much, much pickier), and so now if there's something I want, I just pay what it'll cost and be done with it. Besides, as a Canadian, I'm used to paying tax. big grin

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 5:41 AM   
 By:   Doctor Plesman   (Member)

FSM has made a special Thor edition with some of the tracks scratched out.

Yeah, innit great?

LOL! I doubt the Thor edition will sell its 10,000 copies though. But that would be solely due to the slightly imperfect artwork, of course. wink

DANKESCHÖN for the nicely scribbled Thor edition back cover artwork! I want that version too ;-)

No kidding, Thanks Lukas BIG TIME for the blimp score...

Next time: FAMILY PLOT? MARATHON MAN? I love that whole new Paramount thing that's going on here...

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 5:53 AM   
 By:   Misanthropic Tendencies   (Member)

Never seen Black Sunday - I know it was a sought after score for some reason. So I may purchase it but at 10,000 copies it's gonna be around a long time - but if it's not, then no probs. I already ordered Islands In The Stream and The Blue Max this month. This year I'm going to buy less than the twenty-four CDs I bought last year... Unless the Paramount and Universal floodgates collapse suddenly and EVERYTHING pours out in 2010!

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 6:18 AM   
 By:   shadowman   (Member)

Just put my order.

FSM always sets example for record companies. Unlike intrada, which only cares how to make money.

Learn from that, intrada!!!

An assanine comment indeed! Most if not all of Intrada's limited
titles are due to contractual obligations as well as good business sense. The fact is that the guys who run Intrada care very much
about the soundtrack collecting community and are themselves
members. In order for them to continue to produce the titles that
people want, they have to stay in business. That means making
prudent decisions about how many of each title to produce in order
to satisfy the optimal number of collectors while making a profit,
which will then be re-invested in future releases. Yeah, Intrada does
care how to make money; THEY DAMN WELL BETTER CARE, CAUSE IF THEY DON'T, THEY'LL BE OUT OF BUSINESS. To say that the folks at
Intrada ONLY care about how to make money is not only moronic, it
is insulting.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

I listened to the clips but they haven't won me over.

Same here. In fact my favorite clip by far was the Hotel Lobby source...
Sure it's great that they made that many (I almost wonder if 10k is a bit overkill since the movie isn't a 'fan' type, as it were), but I hope they don't expect 'everyone' who tends to buy LEs on a regular basis to get it.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 6:32 AM   
 By:   TJ   (Member)

Wow I cant believe so many people are bitching about the quantity-comment.

I didn't even look at the number myself, I just saw a rare much wanted Williams and clicked order!

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 6:53 AM   
 By:   Rozsaphile   (Member)

Startling to realize that a blockbuster film like this would have not have been accompanied by a soundtrack album as late as 1975. It's worth remembering: there was a time when film scores on record were the exception rather than the rule.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 7:05 AM   
 By:   soop.broth   (Member)

Wow I cant believe so many people are bitching about the quantity-comment.

what are you talking about? nobody's bitching at all. seems like a pretty level civil discussion to me.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 8:05 AM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

With the Super Bowl just around the corner, I am surprised no one has commented on the timing of this particular release- until now, that is!

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 10:35 AM   
 By:   ghost of 82   (Member)

I realise this is probably a bit early, but perhaps the SAE or FSM guys could let us know how well it's selling? Just curious as it seems such an experiemnt releasing it at 10,000 units. If it's already approaching 1,000+ mark, I guess the decision for a higher number of units would seem to be vindicated? And yep, I've ordered it. Never bought so many discs in one month before, and I always thought January was usually a quiet month?

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 11:47 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Though I hate to admit I've also been somewhat disappointed in Intrada of late. While their policy on The Boys from Brazil and Back to the Future was highly commendable, I have the feeling they pulled another Inchon on The Blue Max now, because that's a CD that should have stayed in print for much, much longer.

It seems that Intrada learned SOMETHING from the "Inchon" debacle: they increased the pressing of "The Blue Max" to 2,500 units, up from "Inchon"'s 1,500 units. That still may not be enough, though. Since there WERE two prior CD issues, and this is an upgrade to both of them, that makes for many more current owners who may want an upgrade, not to mention new listeners who are unfamiliar with the score.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 11:58 AM   
 By:   DJ3J   (Member)

Just put my order.

FSM always sets example for record companies. Unlike intrada, which only cares how to make money.

Learn from that, intrada!!!

Yeah! How dare a company like Intrada give us complete presentations of BTTF and countless other great albums in quantities that are at times guess work and contractual! What greed!

Do us a favor and don't talk. Ever.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 11:58 AM   
 By:   Neil S. Bulk   (Member)

With the Super Bowl just around the corner, I am surprised no one has commented on the timing of this particular release- until now, that is!

You should have seen my facebook update about this. wink

This movie is playing as a double feature with "Two Minute Warning" at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica on February 3rd, just in time for the Super Bowl!

http://tinyurl.com/BlackSundayScreening

Neil

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 12:00 PM   

It is a delicate situation. It is frustrating sometimes doing what people want (making the editions in greater numbers and hence of greater availability) and being "rewarded" by collectors saying, "whew, I can buy that later"...which to me sounds like "or not at all." It is too bad because bad behavior is incentivized, in a sense. I hate it when these things sell out, I want everyone who wants a copy to be able to get one.

Lukas

I find that when it comes to matters like this and especially when money is involved for such a niche market, you just never will make everyone happy. But kudos for at least trying to do what SHOULD satisfy everybody in this case.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 12:02 PM   

And seeing as I believe the Jets are going to drop the bomb on the Superbowl this year how apt!

No I am not a Jets fan. I like the other team that plays at the Meadowlands. But I still think what they are doing is great!

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 12:05 PM   

I can't believe anyone is picking fault with LK's urging to buy it as soon as possible. Other labels say the same thing but in a darker way – by shoving "1500 limited edition" on it they are basically telling you "Buy it in the next 24 hours or you can go to hell and pay three times as much for it on eBay". And that's the last we see of that title for another ten or twenty years, or maybe ever.
FSM has made sure that the new title will get to everyone who wants it, when they want it. But it's only reasonable that they should ask their core audience to get behind the product as speedily as possible. After all, it's the success of projects like this that play a big part in the funding of future ones which benefit us all.

What's funny is that I was thinking the same exact thing. Intrada posts low quantity alerts on their front page which is the same as urging people to buy. It creates a sort of panic and everyone rushes to get these titles which are seemingly disappearing. Look at how fast The Hindenburg sold after the alert was put up. I myself got one as I always wanted to but put it off. What FSM wrote on the page is a different way of saying the same thing with the same end result.

Posted:   Jan 22, 2010 - 1:02 PM   
 By:   CCW1970   (Member)

Lukas (& the FSM crew): You magnificent pagan god!!

I've so waited for a release of this score. Thank you!