Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 6:01 PM   
 By:   Programguru123   (Member)

Bought a copy. Thanks Varese!

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 6:05 PM   
 By:   Programguru123   (Member)

Actually, the cart method is correct. Even Varese believes so, because they've noted they have less than 350 copies remaining on the product page.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-980/Bernard-Herrmann-At-20th/Detail

326 to be exact. smile

As I said, the cart method is an inexact science, there and elsewhere - and as I also said, Varese will trumpet the fact that they are getting low on quantities (low for them means under four hundred). Which they did. Yes? They didn't do it before. They did it when it was real.

I disagree. Looks as if Varese is using a website that has preprogrammed carts. I program for a living so if they put in xxx number then it sells down and down until it hits zero.

SAE and Intrada are retailers. I imagine they put in a number that allows them maximum orders based on what they know is available.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 6:14 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Actually, the cart method is correct. Even Varese believes so, because they've noted they have less than 350 copies remaining on the product page.

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-980/Bernard-Herrmann-At-20th/Detail

326 to be exact. smile

As I said, the cart method is an inexact science, there and elsewhere - and as I also said, Varese will trumpet the fact that they are getting low on quantities (low for them means under four hundred). Which they did. Yes? They didn't do it before. They did it when it was real.

I disagree. Looks as if Varese is using a website that has preprogrammed carts. I program for a living so if they put in xxx number then it sells down and down until it hits zero.

SAE and Intrada are retailers. I imagine they put in a number that allows them maximum orders based on what they know is available.

You probably know more than I about this sort of thing - I only know it's inexact at Intrada and SAE and presumed the same for Varese, although, in the end, it doesn't matter - they always let their customers know the story. When Twilight Time released The Egyptian on Blu-ray, people were doing this exact same thing and posting for the world to see that based on this cart thing, there were only like 600 copies left. Only guess what? There were like 1800 copies left - a slight difference, I know, but a difference nonetheless.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 7:00 PM   
 By:   TM2-Megatron   (Member)

It seems like a pretty good box set, and there's certainly a lot of interest in it. Not having quite seen every film it includes music from, though (and not being able to remember all of the music from those I have seen off the top of my head), if I bought it it'd have to be a bit of a blind buy. I think I'll pass, though. If it were maybe a bit less (not that I'm saying it should be less, though, as the price seems quite reasonable for the amount of content), I'd be willing to shell out. But considering I bought both the Ron Jones and Blue Box FSM box sets not all that long ago this year, and a fair number of individual albums in the past few months, I don't think I'll indulge in this one.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 7:02 PM   
 By:   Yen Fai   (Member)

Did I just read the words "extended" and "Varese Sarabande" in the same thread? Maybe there is hope for some of our old favorites after all! big grin

I love Herrmann, but FSM's Rozsa box is first on my list. Gotta budget.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 7:19 PM   
 By:   waxmanman35   (Member)

I caved and bought it, even though many of those scores have been floating through the collector grapevine. 'Khyber Rifles and 'Witch Doctor compelled me to buy the set, but upgraded sound on some of the others is a plus. There are a number of Herrmann scores I love, but there are many more that just don't sustain musical interest divorced from the film. Kudos to Varese for the business courage to issue a set like this, since golden/silver age seems a hard sell nowadays.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 7:20 PM   
 By:   David (Giacchino-fan)   (Member)

Actually the shopping-cart method works, because when I try to do any number above 296 and hit 'update', it says (And I quote):

A Note From Varese Sarabande Records

The following fields are required or are invalid:

Bernard Herrmann At 20th Century Fox (296 Available)

So it'll tell us exactly how many are left.

I doubt I can get this, but I've never been to hooked on Herrmann's music anyway. Of course, I've heard very little of it... that might be the reason.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 8:00 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

Kudos to Varese Sarabande for releasing this wonderful box set - it is no doubt one of their most ambitious projects ever. With the exception of FSM, no other label*, however great, has done more to rescue the musical legacy of American Cinema (not even close).

Varese has taken a ballsy gamble (that seems to be paying off) with this expensive release and cemented (once again) their 'biggest boy on the block status'. They have clearly proven that soundtracks need not come from the eighties to be successsful sellers.

Varese rules!

* Although some are well on their way of doing so as well - my apologies Kritzerland.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 8:53 PM   
 By:   mildcigar   (Member)

Bernard Herrmann At 20th Century Fox

SKU: VCL-1128
UPC: VCL12111128
Artist: Original Motion Picture Soundtracks
Title: Bernard Herrmann At 20th Century Fox
Composer: Bernard Herrmann
Release Info: Limited Edition of 1000 copies
Product Update: Fewer than 350 copies remaining
Price: $199.98
This item is in stock

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 9:36 PM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

Playing the put in the basket game I get 254.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 9:55 PM   
 By:   Anthony Marose   (Member)

Playing the put in the basket game I get 254.

Yes. I'm very happy to see these move fast, if only to see Varese not sit on endless stock due to the price.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 10:09 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

I find it very gratifying that this release is a commercial hit, contrary to what is being (somewhat bizarrely) asserted in the Intrada forum. Kudos again Varese - a ballsy and bold move on your part!

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 10:23 PM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Wow, we're down to 400 copies? Well, guess I gotta learn to live without it. Shit happens, folks.

Did you miss my little post? No one knows what this is down to, because the stupid cart thing does not work the way people think it works. If they were down to 400 copies they would be trumpeting it so loud and so long that you'd hear it in Guam.

Have you ever thought some people might be ignoring you? Especially since you are talking bad of another label when you do your own trumpeting when it comes to your releases! Do not come back with a snide remark that I am coming after you and your label, you are in fact posting this in a Varese thread.

Erik, don't pick fights with HainesHisWay, especially one that comes out of nowhere. I didn't see him speaking badly of any labels in this thread, Varese included (criticizing a shopping cart is not crapping on Varese). If you've got old grudges coming to the surface, please suppress them.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 10:42 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Wow, we're down to 400 copies? Well, guess I gotta learn to live without it. Shit happens, folks.

Did you miss my little post? No one knows what this is down to, because the stupid cart thing does not work the way people think it works. If they were down to 400 copies they would be trumpeting it so loud and so long that you'd hear it in Guam.

Have you ever thought some people might be ignoring you? Especially since you are talking bad of another label when you do your own trumpeting when it comes to your releases! Do not come back with a snide remark that I am coming after you and your label, you are in fact posting this in a Varese thread.

Erik, don't pick fights with HainesHisWay, especially one that comes out of nowhere. I didn't see him speaking badly of any labels in this thread, Varese included (criticizing a shopping cart is not crapping on Varese). If you've got old grudges coming to the surface, please suppress them.

Oh, he does what he always does - hit and run. He doesn't have it in him to behave like an adult and apologize when he's accused someone of doing something they haven't done in any way, shape, or form - how hard is it? He knows he's wrong when he makes the false accusation - he does it on purpose and just hopes people will see his post and not the response (kind of like McCarthy used to do). It's kind of silly, but if it makes him happy, and it apparently does, I don't think he'll be stopping anytime soon. And I actually wasn't criticizing the Varese shopping cart - I was just saying it wasn't necessarily accurate if it was like the SAE or Intrada ones. That's not a criticism. If you want a criticism, you should have heard what I said about my shopping cart at Gelson's last night. Not pretty.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 11:12 PM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

I'm a bit pissed that I spent $40 on The Egyptian earlier in the year, but as your man says above: shit happens.

Don't be...if you look at the release announcement carefully, note that it says that the box set presents only Herrmann's contributions to THE EGYPTIAN. So the earlier release is still the most complete version of the whole score and is not replicated on the box set.

I ordered this immediately last night even though it's going to hurt a little. For me, complete ( for now) versions of the two Herrmann scores I've most wanted for some 40 years make this an absolute must: KING OF THE KHYBER RIFLES and WHITE WITCH DOCTOR.

But JANE EYRE, FIVE FINGERS, SNOWS OF KILAMANJARO, MAN IN THE GREY FLANNEL SUIT, 20 plus new cues for PRINCE OF PLAYERS, and much more add to the value and make re-purchasing remastered versions of some stuff I already have a non-issue. I can always resell the older discs if I determine I like the new versions better.

To those hoping for single releases down the road, just look to the Jerry Goldsmith box: have we seen a separate S*P*Y*S or DAMNATION ALLEY among others?

Yes. the THE EGYPTIAN is only the Herrmann tracks - Julie Kirgo also confirmed the same to me yesterday and it is the same source used for the 2cd set. Those who missed out the 2CD set should find this another opportunity; even the essay is more or less re-used.

Posted:   Dec 5, 2011 - 11:37 PM   
 By:   billyearle   (Member)

Just wanted to add another vote of praise for this release to ballance against the complainers. I sympathize with the people who can't shell out the cash for this. It is just being added to my credit card debt. Shiffy said it well before. I am grateful the classic scores are getting a good remastering, and there is plenty of new material.
I feared this would go fast, so I ordered it before even taking time to look at the contents, but with Herrmann I knew it would be worth the plunge.
Also hope we get more of the Herrmann at Universal stuff, especially Obsession.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2011 - 12:04 AM   
 By:   Amer Zahid   (Member)

With around 240 or less copies left, I suspect this will be OOP by noon tommrow!

Posted:   Dec 6, 2011 - 12:27 AM   
 By:   Warlok   (Member)

Thumbs up for this one. I`d grab it as an interest grab... of that Age of composers I think Herrmann is the most exemplary, and alot of this stuff would probably be an interesting listen. He said interestingly. But cash will not allow. Still though, superb release.

Good package aesthetic too - I suspect it suits the artist.

I`m kind of on alert for Obsession, given various descriptives I`ve seen here & there.

Posted:   Dec 6, 2011 - 3:15 AM   
 By:   mildcigar   (Member)

Bernard Herrmann At 20th Century Fox
Original Motion Picture Soundtracks

Music by Bernard Herrmann

Limited Edition of 1000 copies - Fewer than 310 copies remaining

Posted:   Dec 6, 2011 - 3:22 AM   
 By:   Erik Donovan   (Member)

Oh, he does what he always does - hit and run. He doesn't have it in him to behave like an adult and apologize when he's accused someone of doing something they haven't done in any way, shape, or form - how hard is it?

Sorry, no hit and run here. We happen to be in different time zones so when you were posting, I was asleep. I get tired of reading how you do not like that everyone buys the 80's scores over your releases. Have you not tried to get more 80's and 90's? Look you got THELMA AND LOUISE? A majority of the posters here are younger than you and have never heard of half of the titles you release. I for one am not going to take a chance and spend money on a score I have never heard over a score I have! I have too many CDs sitting in my collection that I was talked into that will never be played again. I am not one for double dipping, but when your label re-released some of the FSM scores shortly after their release, that was a slap in the face to all of those who purchased the FSM release.

The comments you make, in your eyes are suppose to be jokes and they are not! Here are a few of your quote that are quite frequent. There are more but I do not have the time to dig deeper. Let the others run their labels the way they want and if you disagree, then disagree! These are the ones I get tired of reading!

One of Intrada won't be limited? I think all of Intrada isn't limited - oh, wait - it is and it isn't, depending on the wind. Well, whatever, it's not limited at the announcement phase.

I was surprised to see that there are less than 175 of these left. Should I do the new-fangled thing and say going oop in two weeks?

Oh, if I wanted to play the game I could just say it was going oop in three weeks and we'd sell what we have left. But, that's not for me.

It's getting more than a little pathetic when someone has to call 250 copies of something "low quantity."

Now, lets get back to celebrating this BH release.