Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 26, 2013 - 11:33 PM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

I've seen every film by this French master who died way too young. (It will have been 30 years next year since his passing. That is more time than he had to direct his films.) Actually, there is only one of his works I have yet to watch - "Such a Gorgeous Kid Like Me," which seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

I like all of his films, but my favorites are -

DAY FOR NIGHT

THE 400 BLOWS -

(and the others in the Antoine Doinel series)

THE MAN WHO LOVED WOMEN

SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK

POCKET CHANGE

JULES AND JIM

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 12:07 AM   
 By:   Essankay   (Member)

• THE 400 BLOWS
  • SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER
  • JULES AND JIM
  • MISSISSIPPI MERMAID
  • DAY FOR NIGHT
  • THE STORY OF ADELE H

•  
     Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 12:35 AM   
     By:   dogplant   (Member)

Know and love five of your six favorites, Essankay, but I would have to add "The Wild Child" as a favorite.

"400 Blows" is probably one of my all-time desert island picks.

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 1:49 AM   
     By:   jenkwombat   (Member)

I'm ashamed to admit, I've only seen two; "The 400 Blows" and "Jules and Jim". Of the two, I preferred "The 400 Blows"....

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 9:42 AM   

I should also mention "The Green Room." Not very well-known, but a somber and moody gem starring Truffaut himself as a man obsessed with the dead.

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 9:48 AM   
     By:   solium   (Member)

All I know him from is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. At the time I didn't even know he was a famous director in his own rights.

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 10:58 AM   
     By:   Ado   (Member)

It is so bittersweet, but 400 Blows. Really touching, and sad.

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 3:08 PM   
     By:   Mike_J   (Member)

I'm a big Truffaut fan and he is probably the only foreign language director who'swork I rewlly know. I like the majority of his movies (I've not seen any of his shorts) although Fay For Night and Jules And Jim are my favorites.

I'd actually not seen anythi he directed until I saw CE3K as a kid. That film opened up the door for me becoming interested in all aspects of film more than any other.

Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 3:28 PM   
     By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

Can't contribute much to this, as hardly seen any of his films.

That said, Fahrenheit 451 affected me quite deeply as a kid, and sent me on a hunt for the book - which is still a favourite of mine to this day, as is the film.

Posted:   May 28, 2013 - 11:17 AM   
     By:   Ado   (Member)

Can't contribute much to this, as hardly seen any of his films.

That said, Fahrenheit 451 affected me quite deeply as a kid, and sent me on a hunt for the book - which is still a favourite of mine to this day, as is the film.

It has a lovely score. I liked this film too.

Posted:   May 28, 2013 - 4:37 PM   
     By:   ToneRow   (Member)

Truffaut doesn't figure much onto my favorites lists.

The one I like most is LA PEAU DOUCE (THE SOFT SKIN);
    2nd favorite = LA SIRENE DU MISSISSIPPI.

Posted:   May 28, 2013 - 5:45 PM   
     By:   dan the man   (Member)

How could a TRUFFAUT film ever be that bad when you have a certain composer working with him RIGHT MALEFICIO?

Posted:   May 30, 2013 - 3:40 PM   

Speaking of music in Truffaut films, I just got back from seeing Noah Baumbach's FRANCES HA (cowritten by him and star Greta Gerwig) and most of the score is taken from Truffaut films - lots of Delerue, and also some Constantin and Duhamel. The two cues from Truffaut's SUCH A GORGEOUS LIKE ME have me really wanting to see that now. Too bad it's not easily available.

FRANCES HA is really delightful, by the way. Filmed in beautiful b&w, it is, as one critic said, a mix of a New York indie film and a throwback to the French nouvelle vague. Gerwig is great as an "adorkable" young woman in her late 20s trying to get her act together. The previous sentence makes it sound tiresome and cute. It's not. It's very wise and funny.