Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 4, 2010 - 8:02 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

Death Proof (extended cut, 2007): 8/10

Great movie. The lap dance is boring though. Should have left it out.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2010 - 8:19 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

You DO have a dick, right? wink

Posted:   Sep 4, 2010 - 9:15 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) -- 10/10

Better than the 3 X-Men films combined. The opening war montage was pure brilliance.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2010 - 9:48 PM   

You DO have a dick, right? wink

Yes...but there is no nudity at all. I remember getting excited by the possibility of the lap dance making it onto the DVD only to watch it and not find it very interesting.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2010 - 11:21 PM   
 By:   Odlicno   (Member)

Shooter 7.5/10 - Actually not bad. Briskly paced and some decent action. I just wish Danny Glover had broken his false teeth in a bit better. He was shhhhhing every 's' he spoke. Or he was trying to do a Connery.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2010 - 6:45 AM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. Go world! 4/10.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2010 - 3:07 PM   

District 9 -- 10/10

Lived up to the hype, and then some.

Sharlto Copley: breakout star of the past several years.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2010 - 3:47 PM   

District 9 -- 10/10

I didn't really like it very much. District 9 - 6/10
I found myself strangely detached from the movie as a whole. I didn’t find any of the characters or respective sides to be worthy of rooting for. Wikus is given the major focus of the film but his attitude is annoying more than anything. He comes off as such an ass-hole in the first part of the movie that by the time he is in a perilous situation I’d just as soon watch him die. The movie feels like it lacks focus and direction for the most part. The action finally erupts in the last half hour but the characters seem to just be making things up as they go along. It feels like it would have been much better if it had been more action-focused and shed the chains of reality. The special-effects were so well-done that I would have loved to see a full-scale confrontation between the aliens and humans.

Maybe if I didn't have such a problem with douche characters I might have enjoyed it more.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2010 - 4:23 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

I found myself strangely detached from the movie as a whole. I didn’t find any of the characters or respective sides to be worthy of rooting for. Wikus is given the major focus of the film but his attitude is annoying more than anything. He comes off as such an ass-hole in the first part of the movie that by the time he is in a perilous situation I’d just as soon watch him die. The movie feels like it lacks focus and direction for the most part. The action finally erupts in the last half hour but the characters seem to just be making things up as they go along. It feels like it would have been much better if it had been more action-focused and shed the chains of reality. The special-effects were so well-done that I would have loved to see a full-scale confrontation between the aliens and humans.

Maybe if I didn't have such a problem with douche characters I might have enjoyed it more.

You summed up my own feelings perfectly. Like you said, Copley's character is just an a-hole in the beginning, so I was able to care about him later on. The final half-hour is kind of cool with the MechWarrior-esque battle suit or whatever, but by that point I felt like it was too little too late. Also, I found the film's whole analogy about as a subtle as somebody punching me in the face. Was one of the wost movies I saw in 2009. Frankly, I thought Copley fared much better as Murdock in The A-Team, where he practically stole the movie.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2010 - 5:50 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

I felt virtually the opposite about District 9: Starts off very well with astute Johannesburg social commentary, and not just on the apartheid level but more up-to-date. The "unsubtle analogy" is not just a race analogy but an extension of current social affairs in South Africa. But the protagonist seemed to accomplish things, alone and on foot, much too easily, and by the third act the movie's just an extended video game action sequence which, while the effects are great, is kind of boring, especially after the much better opening. I didn't mind the character being an ass, because I imagine most people in that job are not going to be terribly sympathetic, and I also imagine most people after going through what he goes through will be looking out for #1 rather than suddenly turning into a hero. I liked that the movie was mostly honest with its characters.

I did wonder why he didn't just leave the suit on autopilot, since it seemed to be doing a much better job taking care of business before he took control!

Posted:   Sep 5, 2010 - 6:59 PM   

The Great Buck Howard (2008) -- 4/10

Eh.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2010 - 9:20 PM   
 By:   Ryan Brennan   (Member)

CIRCUS WORLD with John Wayne, Claudia Cardinale, Rita Hayworth, Lloyd Nolan. A Samuel Bronston production. A lot of circus acts, a ship that turns over, and a tent fire occur within the story of Wayne's search for his lost love and the mother of the girl he's raised as his own. Music: Dimitri Tiomkin. 6/10

THE LONG SHIPS with Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier, Russ Tamblyn, Rosanna Schiaffino. The two leads sail in search of the "Mother of Voices," a legendary giant, solid gold bell smelted during the Crusades. Widmark is a Viking, Poitier an Islamic ruler. SEE the maelstrom, SEE the Mother of Voices, SEE the Mare of Steel! Taken in the right spirit this is lot of fun. Music: Dusan Radic. 6/10

THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST, the third film in the trilogy from the books by Stieg Larsson. Excellent, satisfying wrap up to the story. David Fincher has his work cut out for him if he expects to match these Swedish movies. 9/10

THE EVIL EYE (aka THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH) with John Saxon, Leticia Roman, Valentina Cortese, all directed by Mario Bava. This is said to be the start of the giallo film and it has all the earmarks. Roman witnesses a murder but can't convince anyone until her life is put in danger. The rich black & white cinematography, the attention to details, Bava's clever touches, and creative transitions make this extremely entertaining. 8/10

Posted:   Sep 5, 2010 - 10:28 PM   
 By:   Holly Mitchell   (Member)

currently viewing Paura nella città dei morti viventi . We own this, and I revisit the film a few times per year...P.S. Fulci is the director and etc...gotta <3 it.

Anyway, I lend it a 7.5 out of 10. It could have been SO MUCH more gnarly with the psychological implications, but it remained pretty tame. (Outcome wise...) And at the end of the day (if I'm watching a film), I truly ache for something to tug at my heartstrings...and I dig this film, but it did not carry out. Even when he's digging XX out of her grave...

Regardless, I understand my attraction...and I'll still watch this ovah and ovah cuz I'd like for something "more" to evolve...it's just one of those films. At least for me.

*Soundtrack --> one of my favourites.

Oops. Here's a link to the film review: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081318/

Posted:   Sep 6, 2010 - 12:50 AM   
 By:   Odlicno   (Member)

Hell is for Heroes - 7/10
Twelve O'Clock High - 6/10

Posted:   Sep 6, 2010 - 2:29 AM   
 By:   Storyteller   (Member)

Hobson's Choice Wonderful David Lean comedy about a small rivalry between Charles Laughton and his eldest, much smarter daughter. 9/10

INK Original tale about an unseen battle between the forces of good, "the storytellers", and the forces of evil, "the incubi", over the life of a little girl and the very dreams of mankind. Visually stunning film that shows what someone can do with a low budget and an extreme imagination. 8/10

Posted:   Sep 6, 2010 - 3:06 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

I finally got around to seeing Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (I bought the DVD for just £2!). It starts off so well with with brisk action & the atomic explosion, but then the really tiresome & annoying Shia LaBeouf charactor comes in (we have to someone for the"kids"), & it just goes downhill from there. The l-o-n-g chase through the jungle goes on forever, & is more of a cartoon than an action seq. Surely the nail in the coffin for this franchise.

Posted:   Sep 6, 2010 - 5:57 AM   
 By:   mrscott   (Member)

I finally got around to seeing Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull (I bought the DVD for just £2!). It starts off so well with with brisk action & the atomic explosion, but then the really tiresome & annoying Shia LaBeouf charactor comes in (we have to someone for the"kids"), & it just goes downhill from there. The l-o-n-g chase through the jungle goes on forever, & is more of a cartoon than an action seq. Surely the nail in the coffin for this franchise.

Budget est. 185 mil
World Wide Gross appros 450 mil

Do the math.

They ain't dead yet. Put the nails back in the box.

Posted:   Sep 6, 2010 - 7:28 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

District 9 -- 10/10

My feelings as well -- his character was such an ass, I felt he got what he deserved and more. Presenting him as a well meaning but misguided nerd would have been one thing...but he was shown to be pretty unlikeable. The effects were nice and I liked the ideas in the movie, but there was no emotional connection

Otherwise....

Harry Brown 7/10 - nothing really new here, another spin on Death Wish, this time with Michael Caine as the retiree who takes revenge against the young punks in the neighborhood. Well made and Caine as always, is worth watching in anything at all.

City Island 8/10 - sweet, funny and gentle comedy starring and produced by Andy Garcia. One of these comedy of errors where everyone has something to hide and no one is honest with anyone else since that'd wrap up the story early...but...a nice comedy with some heartfelt performances

Posted:   Sep 6, 2010 - 9:54 AM   

Sweet Home Alabama (2002) -- 7/10

A very pleasant viewing experience. Love me some Reese.

Posted:   Sep 6, 2010 - 10:54 AM   

1492 - The Conquest of Paradise: 6/10
While sporting a fine score by Vangelis, the movie feels much longer than its 2.5 hour run-time. The pacing is not very well done and the story lacks the drive to engage you completely.