Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 2:39 PM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Chillax'n.

Sounds like heartburn medication.

Posted:   Mar 20, 2012 - 3:26 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

"Now if only they would release..."

goes well with

it's still not complete"
brm

Posted:   May 7, 2012 - 5:04 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

"Boots on the ground."

Please stop saying this, everyone. 'Cause it's annoying now.

Posted:   Jun 5, 2012 - 9:54 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

"First World problems."

Posted:   Jun 5, 2012 - 10:20 AM   
 By:   JSWalsh   (Member)

The War on [whatever]

Posted:   Jun 5, 2012 - 11:01 AM   
 By:   Redokt64   (Member)

Anything that comes out of the mouths of a Kardashian. I may have already said that. But, YUCK!

"Ista", "tunity", "tistic... added to any word on Earth. Fashionista. Shoppertunity. Shoppertunistic. And we wonder why kids don't have a clue anymore.

Posted:   Jun 5, 2012 - 2:43 PM   
 By:   Browny   (Member)

Great topic but it truly amazes me that the English language gets
mangled so easily and what's worse is how universally accepted it is.

The words "could of" are incorrect. It's "could have" and "could've" is the shorter form. People continue to say "could of" and I think it is just a lazy way of speaking correctly.

Nearly as bad as those who don't know the difference between "then" or "than"! (alot of people do this).

But I will offer one more... when someone pronounces the word "something" as "somethink" or even one step further... "nothink"!

Posted:   Jun 5, 2012 - 5:24 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

).

But I will offer one more... when someone pronounces the word "something" as "somethink" or even one step further... "nothink"!

"I see nuthink, i know nuthink, i hear nuthink"
- Sgt, Shultz

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 3:06 AM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

"game changer"

Has any of these so-called "game changers" changed anything?

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 3:22 AM   

`It`s clearly a win/clearly not a loss` - spoken by paid shills like the psychotic Ed Schultz after a clear loss--everyone listening KNOWS it`s a loss, and the spinner KNOWS everyone knows...why not try honesty?

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 3:30 AM   
 By:   ClipperJon   (Member)

"At the end of the day." I am sick to death of listening to this one, and I have for years!

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 3:31 AM   

`Some say` - This one is mentioned upthread, but it is spoken in every friggin episode of ANCIENT ALIENS [hilariously good show] to quickly brush past that pesky `science` stuff. `Some say these pebbles are actually seeds planted by our ancient alien masters that grow into baby spaceships when zapped with their rainbow guns...` The only authority given to these ridiculous claims is that `SOME` say so. In the next minute the narrator will mention a more prosaic point like `Scientists overwhelmingly agree the Earth has water` or something, so in the half-listening viewer the narrator is ALWAYS quoting some Authoritative Source. `Those pebbles are spaceship seeds, scientists overwhelmingly agree...`

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 10:02 AM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

"It is what it is."

I hate that phrase with a passion...what the heck is it supposed to mean? What exactly are you saying?

I wish that one would go away as well. In the corporate world it means "Things don't look good for us/our products, etc. in this situation, but I'll still have my job."

In personal relations it means "I don't like how this turned out but we'll get by."

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 10:12 AM   

`It is what it is` ....what the heck is that supposed to mean? - jackfu LOL! It`s like the speaker thinks he`s being all Zen or something.. Yeah, I KNOW it is what it is, it also isn`t what it isn`t, ain`t what it ain`t, and won`t be what it won`t be, thanks for turning that brilliant philosophical beacon on the dark corners of existence, ya moron!

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 10:39 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

"This is so yummy." Yummy makes me cringe. Can't stand it when adults talk like children.

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 10:49 AM   

Solium, In my brief, horrible excursions on Facebook I saw `yummy` used repeatedly as a kind of Stalin Big Lie manner by various food obsessives who obviously knew what they were yammering about was NOT yummy, but was hip and healthy: `4.17 PM, having fresh leeks with pumpkin sauce, yummy!` Adding `yummy` ain`t fooling anyone, but you go ahead...

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 11:36 AM   
 By:   jackfu   (Member)

`It is what it is` ....what the heck is that supposed to mean? - jackfu LOL! It`s like the speaker thinks he`s being all Zen or something.. Yeah, I KNOW it is what it is, it also isn`t what it isn`t, ain`t what it ain`t, and won`t be what it won`t be, thanks for turning that brilliant philosophical beacon on the dark corners of existence, ya moron!

LOL!!! Anything to help a buddy out! If you ever need any help with that concept of opposable thumbs I’m there for ya! wink it isn`t what it isn`t, ain`t what it ain`t, and won`t be what it won`t be… – Love it! May I use it?

Posted:   Jun 6, 2012 - 4:22 PM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

Melty. The correct term is melted.

Posted:   Jun 7, 2012 - 1:31 PM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

"A man's gotta do whatta man's gotta do."

Posted:   Jun 9, 2012 - 4:32 AM   
 By:   Metryq   (Member)

"pushing the envelope"
Where did that phrase come from?

If THE RIGHT STUFF can be used as an etymological resource, perhaps it came from test pilots probing the limits of an aircraft—its "performance envelope." I doubt it's slang for "offering a bribe."

I have a gripe with movie reviewers calling a film "an achievement." The usage is not wrong, but it sounds pompous.