Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 23, 2012 - 4:18 PM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

StevenJ's thread shall live!!! There's a lot of "lesser"1970-75 folk-pop out there, and I'm gonna cover it all... big grin

Gordon Lightfoot, "Sundown": She's a whore, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8rR7E6NfY4

Posted:   Apr 23, 2012 - 4:48 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

StevenJ's thread shall live!!! There's a lot of "lesser"1970-75 folk-pop out there, and I'm gonna cover it all... big grin
Gordon Lightfoot, "Sundown": She's a whore, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8rR7E6NfY4

I freaking LOVE Gordon Lightfoot. He has been one of the main soundtracks of my whole life. I will be an inconsolable wreck when his time comes.

Posted:   May 12, 2012 - 6:16 AM   

I can't help but think of Jim Croce when Harry Chapin is discussed (or not discussed, like in this thread):

Love the acoustic pickerage towards the end of the song.

Posted:   May 12, 2012 - 9:52 PM   
 By:   JSWalsh   (Member)

I've felt for a long time Gordon Lightfoot has been underrated, and it doesn't surprise me that Bob Dylan has praised him more than once.

Posted:   May 13, 2012 - 3:32 AM   

I've felt for a long time Gordon Lightfoot has been underrated, and it doesn't surprise me that Bob Dylan has praised him more than once.

I'm not a big fan of his, but do find his singing voice distinctive and appealing. That singing voice could make the most banal of lyrics worthwhile.

Now I think I'll go and listen to Ventura Highway again--I'm in a big AMERICA mood lately.

Posted:   May 13, 2012 - 6:24 AM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

"Oh, I've been through the desert on a Horse with No Name...."

Posted:   May 14, 2012 - 5:30 AM   

"Oh, I've been through the desert on a Horse with No Name...."

Where the heck have you been, Johnson? Keeping a folk-pop thread afloat in this musical ghetto is a Herculean task!

BTW, "Horse with No Name" just edges out "Sister Golden Hair" (the bop-doo-wop coda kinda kills the depressing momentum of the song). wink

Posted:   Jun 19, 2012 - 1:17 PM   

Seems like Gerry Rafferty's musical reputation has only gotten stronger over the years and all the more since his death. Anyway, his two big hits "Baker Street" and especially "Right Down the Line" bring a certain time of my childhood back with a Proustian rush.

Posted:   Jun 20, 2012 - 7:22 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

To Jim Phelps- what did you mean by musical ghetto?

Posted:   Jun 21, 2012 - 4:08 AM   

To Jim Phelps- what did you mean by musical ghetto?

Other than our beloved film scores, the conversation about other types of music--yes, kids, there are other types--is rare and those posts are typed in hushed, shameful tones.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2012 - 9:22 AM   

Other than our beloved film scores, the conversation about other types of music--yes, kids, there are other types--is rare and those posts are typed in hushed, shameful tones.

God, I'm a cynical and sarcastic bastard! LOL!

A song that I've "finally" appreciated after all these years is Fleetwood Mac's 1975 song, Landslide. Maybe it's because I was in the right frame of mind--or the right stage of my life--to recognize its beauty.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2012 - 10:44 AM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

yes, life is wonderful.

Posted:   Sep 27, 2012 - 3:16 AM   

Jim Croce- "I Got a Name"

My favorite of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06zOrHRh-gY

Posted:   Sep 27, 2012 - 3:38 AM   

Bill Withers (again) in a fantastic live version--dig the drummer--of the aforementioned Ain't No Sunshine, from 1972. Great, great stuff. The strings are absent here, so listen to the nice guitar parts too, kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo&feature=related

Posted:   Sep 27, 2012 - 4:58 AM   

George Harrison- While My Guitar Gently Weeps [Acoustic Demo]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0c4diG79vA

Note the different lyrics at the end.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2013 - 7:44 AM   

Rick Nelson- "Garden Party"

This song has one of the most famous refrains in pop music history, at least IMO. I also love the line towards the end:

"If ya gotta play a garden party/I wish you a lot of luck/but if memories were all I sang/I'd rather drive a truck."

Posted:   Jul 29, 2013 - 10:29 AM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Where the heck have you been, Johnson? Keeping a folk-pop thread afloat in this musical ghetto is a Herculean task!

Hey, I'll try to do my part!

I've just come off several straight weeks of listening to almost nothing but Tangerine Dream, re-ripping everything lossless into my HD, and I felt I needed something to cleanse my aural palete.

So I put on Horslips' Belfast Gigs CD. I'd forgotten how excellent this group was/is. For my money they're one of the top three outfits to come out of Ireland. More folk-rock than folk-pop, I'll grant you--but terrific nonetheless. And that album rocks!

(All of which has nothing to do with "Taxi", but... there ya go. smile)

Posted:   Sep 9, 2013 - 8:41 AM   

Randy Newman- "Short People"

How come this song never gets played on the radio anymore? Probably the same reason why "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits gets censored whenever it is played on the radio: People have the inability to comprehend satire.