Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 10, 2012 - 3:56 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

By any chance did anyone tape TCM's marathon of films from Japan, Thursday?

Posted:   Aug 10, 2012 - 11:49 PM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

Cable network THIS often will show obscure films in their lineup of films, in August a few of their obscure films are -----------THE SEAGULL-68- Is a basically obscure film with Vanassa Redgrave based on Chekhov, film has barely ever been shown on free TV or cable or network TV.--------

One can also see THE SEA GULL without commercial interruption on Turner Classic Movies today, Saturday August 11, at 12:45 PM.

Posted:   Aug 12, 2012 - 5:36 PM   

Although not really obscure , any marathon of interest that pops up on cable i would like to list for readers, in case they want to get their taping ready. on AUGUST 16TH, TCM will have a ELVIS MARATHON, now some of his, about 2 and a half dozen films, don't get alot of exposure, some do. As a footnote, way back in the late 70's early 80' i remember it was Elvis films that were one of the first films to be put on BETAMAX[remember that format], well in order here is the Elvis marathon-IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR-63-KISSIN COUSINS-64-GIRL HAPPY-65-DOUBLE TROUBLE-67-STAY AWAY JOE-68 CHARRO-69- TROUBLE WITH GIRLS-69, ELVIS ON TOUR-72- JAILHOUSE ROCK-57-VIVA LAS VEGAS-64- SPEEDWAY-66- SPINOUT-66 LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE-68-14 films in all[which is about half of his output?] good old TCM . ENJOY.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2012 - 6:12 PM   

TCM on MONDAY AUGUST 20TH will show the seldom seen on TV movie- LOVING-1970- starring George Segal.I remember as a kid on election day 1972, WNEW TV CH 5 IN NEW YORK, showed this film first run , hoping to get some viewers away from the networks with their election news. This was very common back in the old days for local or independent stations to put special movies on that night. That night the same station showed the film Elvira Madigan-67.

Posted:   Aug 15, 2012 - 6:27 PM   

TCM will show early on TUESDAY the 21ST, two Anthony Quinn films which have been rare on cable TV, THE MESSAGE-78-A epic dealing with MOHAMMED and A DREAM OF KINGS-69-both films had moderate theatrical releases, but seldom on TV over the Decades A DREAM OF KINGS, did get a network showing in the 70's, little syndication as well as cable.THE MESSAGE after it's initial cable exposure in the late 70's have been hard to find on TV, i feel both are well made films.Film scores were done by Maurice Jarre[MESSAGE] and Alex North[KINGS].

Posted:   Aug 17, 2012 - 6:15 PM   

THIS will be showing the seldom seen film ROADIE-80-dig the cast- MEATLOAF- ART CARNEY BLONDIE, ALICE COOPER, HANK WILLIAMS JR AND RAMBLIN JACK ELLIOT, yes indeed. Film pretty much came and went on it's theatrical release and has for the most part been a stranger to cable TV for decades,Film will be shown for the first time at the end of August and probably will be repeated later on this year, keep it up THIS, dig then up.

Posted:   Aug 19, 2012 - 8:39 PM   

Wednesday AUGUST 22-TCM will have a 11 film marathon of Jack Lenmon films, although the 11 films they are showing with Jack does not except for a couple of the films deal with his most famous role, a middle class man getting put upon by society,they do show the great diverse actor he was. Here are the films that are being shown in order------PHFFFT-54-MISTER ROBERTS-55-GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM-64-HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE-65-THE GREAT RACE-65-THE APARTMENT-60-THE FORTUNE COOKIE-65- MY SISTER EILEEN-55- COWBOY-58- DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES-62- WACKIEST SHIP IN THE ARMY-61-ENJOY

Posted:   Aug 22, 2012 - 7:54 PM   

MONDAY AUGUST 27- on TCM there will be a 12 film marathon saluting JEANETTE MACDONALD, a well known MGM singer and actress who did a string of musicals with the great singer NELSON EDDY. 7 of the 12 films will be with MR EDDY. Here they are in the order they will be shown-NEW MOON-40-3 DARING DAUGHTERS-48-ROSE MARIE-36-SMILIN THROUGH-41-NAUGHTY MARIETTA-35-THE FIREFLY-37-BITTERSWEET-40-SAN FRANSICO-36-MAYTIME-37-THE MERRY WIDOW-34-SWEETHEARTS-38-I MARRIED AN ANGEL-42-GOOD MUSIC- ENJOY.

Posted:   Aug 22, 2012 - 10:51 PM   

Wednesday AUGUST 22-TCM will have a 11 film marathon of Jack Lenmon films, although the 11 films they are showing with Jack does not except for a couple of the films deal with his most famous role, a middle class man getting put upon by society,they do show the great diverse actor he was. Here are the films that are being shown in order------PHFFFT-54-MISTER ROBERTS-55-GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM-64-HOW TO MURDER YOUR WIFE-65-THE GREAT RACE-65-THE APARTMENT-60-THE FORTUNE COOKIE-65- MY SISTER EILEEN-55- COWBOY-58- DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES-62- WACKIEST SHIP IN THE ARMY-61-ENJOY

Sadly, THE WACKIEST SHIP IN THE ARMY replaces the film that TCM originally announced in its monthly printed program guide: 1981's BUDDY BUDDY. The latter is Billy Wilder's last film, has never been on DVD, and has only been issued on video in a pan-and-scan version of its Panavision proportions. Now THAT would have been a showing of an obscure movie. But it's not to be.

Posted:   Aug 24, 2012 - 2:58 PM   

To Bob - Yes BUDDY BUDDY has been hiding itself in recent years, i enjoyed the film, it seems many people didn't..

Posted:   Aug 25, 2012 - 6:37 PM   

On ENCORE, these days they been showing the pretty rare ALICE ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND-72- with that all-star cast and a fine musical score by JOHN BARRY. Among the songs are 2 great ballads CURIOUS and THE ME I NEVER KNEW, Film has been pretty rare on cable the past few decades, it also basically skipped free TV, decades ago as well.

Posted:   Aug 26, 2012 - 6:26 PM   

TCM- FRIDAY MORNING AUGUST 31ST-SLITHER-73- hard to find flick on cable over the decades is this James Caan crime caper, that came and went basically on its theatrical release. Got a network showing in the 70's, but rare on TV since.

Posted:   Aug 27, 2012 - 5:02 AM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

Definitely checkout SLITHER, one of the absolute best shaggy dog story films of all time, with a great cast, wonderfully off kilter direction by Howard Zieff, and a neat score by Tom McIntosh. (Love that great sinister theme for the "evil recreational vehicles.")

This can also be had on DVD from Warner Archives.

Posted:   Aug 29, 2012 - 5:25 PM   

HANDS OF A STRANGER-62- will be on TCM-SUNDAY - SEPT-2-in the evening. This film which deals with a hand apart from it's body, has as far as i know never embraced cable TV. Was on free TV, late at night way back in the 70's, not bad little creeper, has its moments.

Posted:   Aug 31, 2012 - 11:55 AM   

On Monday, September 3rd, beginning at 6 AM ET, Turner Classic Movies will be showing Erich Von Stroheim’s GREED (1924), a film that has never been issued on DVD. TCM will be running the most recent of the seven versions of the film known to have been created from the available footage over the years. Those seven are:

1. Edited by Von Stroheim – 551 minutes – considered lost
2. Edited by Joseph Farnham – 472 minutes – considered lost
3. Edited by Von Stroheim – 315 minutes – generally regarded as the “director’s cut” – considered lost
4. Edited by Rex Ingram – 236 minutes – considered lost
5. Edited by June Mathis – 240 minutes – copy said to exist at the Cinémathèque Française
6. Edited by Joseph Farnham – 133 to 140 minutes – this was the theatrically released version and was previously issued twice on videocassette
7. Edited by Rick Schmidlin – 239 minutes - restored version by Turner Entertainment in 1999 using the existing footage and still photographs of the deleted scenes (done similarly to restorations of A STAR IS BORN (1954) and LOST HORIZON (1937)). This was produced according to an original and detailed continuity outline by director Erich von Stroheim to bring it as close to the Director's Cut as possible, given what footage remains. This version also contains a stereo score by Robert Israel.

Posted:   Sep 1, 2012 - 5:27 PM   

TCM ON MONDAY MORNING -SEPT-3-will be showing SPIRITS OF THE DEAD-68- An anthology tale with Jane Fonda, Peter Fonda etc , film has not been on cable in about a decade.Yes if any film fanatic asks you did FELLINI every did a horror film? , you can tell them YES.

Posted:   Sep 3, 2012 - 1:25 PM   

On Thursday, at 6:30 PM ET, Turner Classic Movies will be showing THE MALTESE BIPPY. This mystery/horror spoof was the second and last film starring the comedy team of Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, and was released in 1969 at the height of their "Laugh-In" fame. The film has never had a video release on any format, so this is the only way to see it.

Here's the film's trailer:

Posted:   Sep 4, 2012 - 6:01 PM   

May i add, also been extremely rare on cable over the decades, did get a Network showing back in the 70's.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2012 - 6:26 PM   

To Bob- I was just ready to put The Maltese Bippy-69- on this thread when i got home from work tonight, thanks, you beat me to it,

Posted:   Sep 5, 2012 - 7:08 PM   

Although most silent films have been lost in time, there are still a giant amount of them available to be seen. TCM in the evening of SEPTEMBER 6TH will have a 7 hour marathon showing 28 silent shorts from the teens, yes folks nearly a hundred years ago, my , where does time go? it seems like only yesterday.