Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 7:11 AM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

I've seen Tail being shown in HD on some of the movie stations like Cinemax, but since I have basic cable, I've never actually seen these broadcasts. I just wonder if they have the original audio or the "remixed" 5.1 track with the altered sound effects/voices. Sadly, only Disney really treats "catalogue" animated films with the respect and meticulous care they really deserve (even for mediocre offerings like The Aristocats)...most other animated films prior to the 2000s either don't get released on Blu at all, or else get released in grainy, piss-poor transfers like NIMH. frown Tail is a fairly important film in the appreciation of classical animation back in the 80's, grossing an impressive $47 million in 1986 dollars and paving the way for the "Disney Rennaisance" of the 90's that kicked in with The Little Mermaid three years later, and yet it's treated with the same slapdash "care" as its lame direct-to-video sequels from the 90's (same with The Land Before Time). To date, the only Don Bluth film to get proper treatment on Blu has been Anastasia.

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 7:47 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Agreed. I have NIMH on BluRay and it looks like a 10th generation bootleg or something. It's horrible, almost unwatchable. Also agree on Tail. The heads of Disney were furious at its success. So much so when they went head to head- Land VS Oliver the CEO of Disney demanded Oliver stay in the theaters until it beat Land in box office returns no matter how long it took. Oliver did win the "war" though Land actually won the opening weekend and I believe the next few weeks in release.

BTW, Prince Of Egypt is available on iTunes. Though I don't know the quality or if it was remastered.

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 7:57 AM   

BTW, Prince Of Egypt is available on iTunes. Though I don't know the quality or if it was remastered.

Now there's a film I'd love to own on Blu, although non-Disney animation that isn't CGI rarely gets released on Blu. I'd also love to have The Road To El Dorado on Blu, if only for one, selfish reason... wink

And another early Dreamworks film I'd love to have in HD is Antz. The DVD is almost 15 years old(!) by now, and in need of some HD TLC.

As for Tail, it wasn't the only non-Disney animated feature that kicked Disney to the curb at the box office back in the 80's...in '85, The Black Cauldron ended up making less at the box office than...The Care Bears Movie. eek

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 8:15 AM   

Oh yeah, saucy Chel! El Dorado had its moments. I wouldn't mind seeing a BluRay of that. Cauldron was beyond their capabilities with the staff at hand. Times change of course but I remember the CEO saying they would never release Cauldron in any form ever again. It was a huge black mark on them. It was also their first "PG" rated animated film.

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 8:24 AM   

Oh yeah, saucy Chel!

"Save it fuh duh High Priest, hunny...joo gunnah need it."

I still can't believe that scene made it into the finished movie.

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 9:08 AM   

Road also has the first male "mooning" in an animated film to my knowledge!

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 11:31 AM   

Road also has the first male "mooning" in an animated film to my knowledge!

Yeah, that was definitely Dreamworks in its "we're gonna push the PG rating as far as it can go" period, before they just settled for farts and "rude humor".

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 6:47 PM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

Now it's basically "we're cool because we've bought Guillermo del Toro's freedom" and declining animation quality because of the insistence of releasing three movies a year.

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 7:04 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

I would love to see WB do a 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray next year for Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. (Jeez, I can't believe it's just about twenty years old now. I remember seeing it at the theater in 1993 the day after Christmas.)

Posted:   Dec 24, 2012 - 7:13 PM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

With Cartoon Network screwing around with DC Nation (obviously, the channel doesn't know of the high quality material that DC does in the medium), that is very unlikely. It would nice though (it also has enough of a backstory for a good making-of documentary).

Posted:   Dec 25, 2012 - 4:07 AM   
 By:   Marlene   (Member)

I wanna know where Death Becomes Her is. It's the 20th anniversary, and the old DVD was a crappy full-screen transfer. The film was a hit, it's a comedy classic still highly regarded...WHERE is it???

Yes! A bit late but I second this. Where is it indeed?

Posted:   Dec 25, 2012 - 6:42 AM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

I know about Blu-ray.com and Hi Def Digest, but where else can a person find out about blu- ray releases that studio's plan on releasing ? Personally I would like to see a release of "For Love Of The Game" on blu-ray. I am pretty certain that it had a HD DVD release so I would think it would be easy to use the same Hi Def elements used for the HD DVD release and put it on a Blu Ray.

Posted:   Jan 19, 2013 - 8:38 AM   

Well the 15th has come and gone and "While You Were Sleeping" wasn't released. Worse yet, the release date has been pulled from Amazon. roll eyes

Posted:   Apr 27, 2013 - 7:20 PM   

Yes someone at Universal took a hatchet to American Tail. I did a scene by scene break down of all the audio changes. It's not only very distracting its very bad. I don't have a fracking clue why they destroyed this film.

I actually found a copy of the American Tail DVD at a yard sale for three bucks today, and decided that was cheap enough to get it and witness first-hand the new sound mix...and it's awful. Not only have extraneous sound effects and newly-recorded(?) background dialogue have been added to pretty much every quiet scene in the film (frequently to the detriment of James Horner's score, which now can barely be heard at times. The opening titles used to belong to Horner completely until the close-in on the Mousekiewicz family's home, but now there's rhubarb background chatter from the human home they live under that drowns out the music), but the new voices for the trio of orphans that harrass Fievel late in the film are dreadful. Supposedly these were the originally recorded voices that were dubbed over for the theatrical mix, but if that's true, the re-recorded kid's voices were simply better. I've seen the movie maybe fifteen times via VHS and laserdisc back in the early-to-mid 90's, and every little audio alteration sticks out like a sore thumb. I hope, if the film ever makes it to Blu-Ray, they'll restore the theatrical audio mix, or at least offer an option of listening to both.

Posted:   Apr 27, 2013 - 8:00 PM   
 By:   welwynfilmstudios   (Member)

Ive been waiting years for "While You Were Sleeping" to come out on Blu Ray. What the heck is the hold up?! It was a huge holiday hit!

Edit: Just read its supposed to get a January 15, 2013 release in the US. Already released in Australia.

Do you have a region free player?

Posted:   Apr 28, 2013 - 11:11 AM   
 By:   Roger Rabbit   (Member)

To those discussing An American Tail, Land Before Time, NIMH.....

1.) Which DVD of Tail are we talking about? I cheaped out and have the Animated Film Collection which has Tail, Land, and Balto on them. They're in 5.1 surround. Not hearing anything unusual that I haven't heard in many years of watching all three films. Are the edits part of this release or another DVD release?

2.) NIMH on blu-ray....I have the blu-ray and people say its terrible. I know I cannot see 20/20.....so maybe my eyesight is just not good enough to really see the "crispness" of blu-ray, but I didn't find it that bad. I loved Bluth and Goldman's commentary. They even criticize themselves and their work. Anyway, given the state many of Bluth's films and distributors have been, maybe they didn't have access to a pristine negative and made do with the best they could find. This isn't exactly the Disney vaults here.

3.) Land on blu-ray would probably be a matte job considering it wasn't animated in widescreen. Plus Universal hasn't been kind to Bluth's stuff so they'll probably not do much for it anyway.

Posted:   Apr 28, 2013 - 1:44 PM   

I believe every repackaged version of Tail features the same transfer and sound mix.

Posted:   Apr 29, 2013 - 3:20 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

OK let's get serious, here's a little list of titles that I'd have to buy (love to buy) if they were released, looking very good on Blu-ray (region B). If they all came out at once I'd maybe have to sell a kidney:

Black & White

The Ghostbreakers '40
The Sea Hawk '40
They Died With Their Boots On '41
They Were Expendable '45
The Thing '51
Laughter In Paradise '51
The Big Sky '52
Private's Progress '56
Dunkirk '58
Danger Within '59
The Pure Hell Of St. Trinians '60
What A Carve Up! '61

Three b/w Universal box sets:

Universal Classic Horrors: The Sequels
Universal 50's Sc-Fi Movies
The Hope/Crosby "Road To" movies

Colour

Dodge City '39
Unconquered '47
Samson & Delilah '49
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon '49
Scaramouch '52
Brigadoon '54
Land Of The Pharaohs '55
This Island Earth '55
Teahouse Of The August Moon '56
The Vikings '58
L'il Abner '59
The Mummy '59
The Alamo '60
Curse Of The Werewolf '60
One-Eyed Jacks '61
The Pit & The Pendulum '61
The Phantom Of The Opera '61
Tales Of Terror '62
Taras Bulba '62
Kiss Of The Vampire '62
The Raven '63
Tom Jones '63
The Long Ships '63
Irma La Douce '63
Lord Jim '64
She '64
Rio Conchos '64
The Great Race '65
The Sons Of Katie Elder '65
What's New Pussycat '66
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum '66
The Jokers '66
I'll Never Forget What's 'is Name '67
The President's Analyst '68
Start The Revolution Without Me '70
The Last Valley '71
Gui La Testa '71
&
Bad Boys 2

I'll take a look at this list a year from now, hopefully there'll be more than a handful that have been released.

Posted:   Apr 29, 2013 - 6:15 PM   

@ johnjohnson - I don't own a region free BR player.

@ Roger Rabbit - I assume the Tail DVD is the same in each package. The only Bluth film that was filmed in widescreen as far as I know was Anastasia. All the others were matted to widescreen for its theatrical release. Though the NIMH BluRay mimicked the matted widescreen theatrical release.

@ Mr. Jack- Tail's new audio track. I wasn't exaggerating. frown

Posted:   Apr 29, 2013 - 6:48 PM   
 By:   henry   (Member)

I want Spielberg's 1941. I know I'm in the minority, but I love that movie.