Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 6:07 AM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

In this thread: some middle class white folks complain that they can't get a movie for six hours.

Then someone advocates media piracy.

And to think I use to willingly talk to you people.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 6:35 AM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

I like having physical media, but I have to say Netflix streaming has been wonderful. I've discovered many shows and movies I wouldn't have taken a chance on if I had to buy a physical disc up front, or even selected one of them as one of two or three mail-in rental discs if I were on that plan. I've been able to zip through entire runs of TV shows, and I also now use it for watching even shows I have on DVD, since it's just more convenient to just select the show I want to watch with the remote than it is to get up and switch discs in the player (and yeah, I know the latter is hardly some huge imposition, but still). It also lets me watch a lot more movies and shows than I could ever afford if I had to buy or even rent each one individually.

I do still intend to buy discs of things I want to own permanently, but I love streaming and wouldn't be without it.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 7:19 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

Metryq, can you get rid of that image please? Whether you're advocating piracy or just making a point about the challenges against bureaucracy, the image is clearly pro-piracy and we can't have that here.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 9:58 AM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

Netflix is still unavailable.

As for that image, what about the few hours you have to wait for the download? A 10 minute video from a torrent takes an hour or two to load. A 90 minute movie will take up to half a day to load from a wireless connection. It's not worth it.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 10:02 AM   
 By:   Metryq   (Member)

No problem, David, but the graphic made my point so well. Rental discs can be even worse. Some movies actually have a special disc for rental services, and those spam you with everything.

Sometimes I'm amazed by older discs that jump straight to the menu and offer a "play" button, or have a brief video note, "trailers of other attractions follow movie." What a breath of fresh air.

As for that image, what about the few hours you have to wait for the download? A 10 minute video from a torrent takes an hour or two to load. A 90 minute movie will take up to half a day to load from a wireless connection. It's not worth it.

I'm not advocating streaming video. I've seen it in action at other residences, and I've seen low data rate picture garbage during heavy traffic. Whatever service you may have is no guarantee—your FiOS or Xfinity or whatever does not run straight from Netflix to your home. That's why I'd like to see a buffered service. Put in your order and let the system download the titles to your house when traffic is slower. I believe iTunes offers a buffered type service for rentals, but I have not used it. Between Netflix on discs and the local library (with a computer catalog that includes every public library in the state), I get as much video as I care to watch.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 10:08 AM   

No problem, David, but the graphic made my point so well. Rental discs can be even worse. Some movies actually have a special disc for rental services, and those spam you with everything.

Sometimes I'm amazed by older discs that jump straight to the menu and offer a "play" button, or have a brief video note, "trailers of other attractions follow movie." What a breath of fresh air.

Thanks.

I have noticed that on many DVDs of the past you could usually skip the ads, but on most blu-rays I've watched, you CANNOT skip the ads, warnings, logos, etc. Really annoying. I was watching a blu-ray with my parents recently and we had to sit through warnings, to which my mother said, "Can't we skip these? These are for problem people, not us." smile

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 10:12 AM   
 By:   Metryq   (Member)

Don't forget all the disclaimers about commentary not reflecting the opinions of the studio, etc. Just in case someone gets "offended." Nowadays that is something to fear.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 10:17 AM   

Don't forget all the disclaimers about commentary not reflecting the opinions of the studio, etc. Just in case someone gets "offended." Nowadays that is something to fear.

I would love to know if there's ever been an actual lawsuit over something said in a commentary. Seems ridiculous. There was a commentary on a South Park episode in which 3 minutes of discussion were literally bleeped out. Silly.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 10:39 AM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

Sometimes people tend to act like the preamble to the feature film is preventing them from living their fast-paced lives running from place to place tending to the sick and injured.

Made me laugh!

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 1:25 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I would love to know if there's ever been an actual lawsuit over something said in a commentary. Seems ridiculous.

Believe it or not, the reason they put those disclaimers on DVD commentary tracks is because of Director Nick Meyer. Its either in his ST2 commentary track or his View From The Bridge novel.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 1:55 PM   
 By:   quiller007   (Member)

I have noticed that on many DVDs of the past you could usually skip the ads, but on most blu-rays I've watched, you CANNOT skip the ads, warnings, logos, etc. Really annoying. I was watching a blu-ray with my parents recently and we had to sit through warnings, to which my mother said, "Can't we skip these? These are for problem people, not us." smile

I don't know what movies you guys watch, but I haven't had any problems
skipping past the ads (theatrical trailers) or the annoying anti-piracy video.
All you have to do is press the fast-forward button. Sometimes just the menu button.
As for the FBI and Interpol scroll warnings - yes, we must all sit through those
10/15 seconds. The universe isn't going to implode while these are playing.
What's the rush?

Den

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 2:05 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

All you have to do is press the fast-forward button. Sometimes just the menu button.
As for the FBI and Interpol scroll warnings - yes, we must all sit through those
What's the rush?

Den

Most of the time when I hit the "Top Menu" button on my remote it takes me directly to the play movie screen. Though my most recent movie purchases seems to negate this option.

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 2:37 PM   
 By:   Penelope Pineapple   (Member)

I would love to know if there's ever been an actual lawsuit over something said in a commentary. Seems ridiculous. There was a commentary on a South Park episode in which 3 minutes of discussion were literally bleeped out. Silly.

I think that was for their "Cartoon Wars" episodes. That the studio censored their commentary (in addition to ridiculously censoring the episodes themselves) still infuriates me! If you want to see Muhammad on SOUTH PARK, you have to watch the pre-9/11 episodes that he appears in and that have not been retroactively censored, when free speech was still protected.

Grrr! Comedy Central, I shake my fists at Thee!

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 2:44 PM   
 By:   Penelope Pineapple   (Member)

What's the rush?

Den

I productively use this time to prepare my booze and viewing snacks (and ignore the warnings, disclaimers, adverts, and previews). big grin

Posted:   Jan 2, 2013 - 11:20 PM   
 By:   quiller007   (Member)

I productively use this time to prepare my booze and viewing snacks (and ignore the warnings, disclaimers, adverts, and previews). big grin

Good idea! I often use it as a pre-movie bathroom break so I don't
have to pause halfway through the movie. big grin

Den

Posted:   Jan 4, 2013 - 3:25 AM   

Day 4 of the Great Netflix Crash of 2013. I sure hope I get a free month out of this.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2013 - 4:02 AM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

I am not sure exactly what the details are, but I read that Redbox is about to start a streaming service. I hope so because compitition for consumers money is a good thing. We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2013 - 4:02 AM   
 By:   scrapsly   (Member)

I am not sure exactly what the details are, but I read that Redbox is about to start a streaming service. I hope so because compitition for consumers money is a good thing. We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2013 - 4:09 AM   

If Redbox does the same thing they do in the kiosks (100 titles, older titles can get deleted at any moment), it won't last.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2013 - 5:43 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

Day 4 of the Great Netflix Crash of 2013. I sure hope I get a free month out of this.

Have you tried contacting them? Our instant streaming has been working just fine, all four of the days.