Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Nov 2, 2013 - 12:34 PM   
 By:   Mike_J   (Member)

Mike - next time we meet for a drink, you can pick me up from Fenchurch Street in that wink

Not sure you would fit mate! I'm 6ft and have got good headroom - just! - with the seat low down but I'm pretty sure it doesn't go THAT low!

Posted:   Nov 2, 2013 - 6:20 PM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

I drove a Jaguar S-type sedan for 10 years and loved it. The XKs are wonderful but you have to decide whether you want a rag top convertible or a hard top coupe. I see you chose the hard top. Do you sometimes wish you could put the top down?

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 12:28 AM   

I drove a Jaguar S-type sedan for 10 years and loved it. The XKs are wonderful but you have to decide whether you want a rag top convertible or a hard top coupe. I see you chose the hard top. Do you sometimes wish you could put the top down?

Actually no, I've never really like convertibles because I feel the chassis tend to be a little stiff to drive. Also in the UK the weather is rarely ever consistent enough to have the top down for any length of time.

In regard to the XKR, I do think the convertible looks gorgeous with the roof down but less so when its up. just an aesthetic thing I know and purely personal taste but I made a conscious choice for the coupe version.

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 1:04 AM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

Oh, I have some very strong opinions on American car culture and global environmental issues...

Norway: 385,186 km²

United States of America: 9,826,675 km²

We can't exactly ski across country, Thor. I'm sure, however, that you stood your moral ground and refused any rides in cars during your recent trip to the USA.

P.S. Badass ride, Mike! It just needs one of these:

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 1:55 AM   

That's superb Josh! Is it real or photoshopped?

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 4:15 AM   
 By:   Rexor   (Member)

I'm not a car person (in fact, I've never owned a car) and I think there is too much car-dependency in the US, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize a great-looking car when I see one.

We can't exactly ski across country, Thor. I'm sure, however, that you stood your moral ground and refused any rides in cars during your recent trip to the USA.

Great point. I'm sure if Thor had to do it again, and say, permanently, live near Boston, LA, or several other area's in the US, he would realize that due to size of the US, the age of it's transportation system, the layout of its cities, and the cost (see Amtrak and profits) and the resistance to upgrade (see Governor Christie and the tunnel project fiasco), that being car dependent is a not a bad idea in many areas of the country.

-Rex

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 4:54 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

I'd be happy to discuss it, but in a different thread. I don't want to hijack Mike's Jaguar thread.

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 7:19 AM   

I'd be happy to discuss it, but in a different thread. I don't want to hijack Mike's Jaguar thread.

That's kind Thor but honestly don't worry about me, I think its a valid topic for discussion.

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 8:08 AM   
 By:   eriknelson   (Member)

Actually no, I've never really like convertibles because I feel the chassis tend to be a little stiff to drive. Also in the UK the weather is rarely ever consistent enough to have the top down for any length of time.

In regard to the XKR, I do think the convertible looks gorgeous with the roof down but less so when its up. just an aesthetic thing I know and purely personal taste but I made a conscious choice for the coupe version.

I agree that the hard top would be best for your climate. Living in Texas, however, there's plenty of opportunities for open air driving. So, in a fit of middle age crisis, I purchased a Mercedes SL550. The hard top folds down into the trunk (or boot wink). And amazingly one loses very little storage space. It's sort of the best of both worlds. I love my car, but I must say there's just something special about Jags. Enjoy!

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 10:25 AM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

That's superb Josh! Is it real or photoshopped?

It's real. I had the sticker custom made. big grin

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=96398&forumID=1&archive=0

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 1:26 PM   
 By:   neotrinity   (Member)

So, Mick-ster, when we cross the percolating Pond in the next year,

wink big grin

ya gonna give us a spin? smile

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 1:55 PM   

So, Mick-ster, when we cross the percolating Pond in the next year, ya gonna give us a spin? smile

Of course, it would be my absolute pleasure. I always loved Robert McCall's Jag XJS.

Posted:   Nov 3, 2013 - 6:08 PM   
 By:   neotrinity   (Member)

Just so long as you don't sneakily put us in your refurbished ejector seat and sneakily push der button when
we mention the razz Vee razz word!

big grin

Posted:   Nov 4, 2013 - 7:56 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Jag is one of the last British cars right?

Posted:   Nov 4, 2013 - 9:23 AM   

Well, yes and no. Jaguar Cars is technical a British manufacturer of luxury cars with a heritage dating back to the early 20s. Although they are still built near Birmingham, UK the company itself has been owned by the Tata Motor Corp of India for the last few years, having previously been owned by Ford.

I still think of it as British however!

Posted:   Nov 4, 2013 - 9:34 AM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Well, yes and no. Jaguar Cars is technical a British manufacturer of luxury cars with a heritage dating back to the early 20s. Although they are still built near Birmingham, UK the company itself has been owned by the Tata Motor Corp of India for the last few years, having previously been owned by Ford.

I still think of it as British however!

Yeah, that makes sense, who owns it does not really matter. It would be nice if they still manufacture them there. I watched a Top Gear one time that talked about all the closed British car companies and they went to the remnants of the factories. It was really depressing.

I am not sure what Ford was thinking, I guess they wanted a high end brand, similarly why they bought Volvo for a while, then sold it again too. Ford is nuts.

I am sure rooting for the Jag brand to live on. This report sounds like they are selling pretty well. I did not know they were so popular in Asia.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/oct/10/british-luxury-car-brands-record-sales

Posted:   Nov 6, 2013 - 6:29 AM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

"Dat iss not a car--it's a penis mitt chrome!" -- Peter Ustinov in HAMMERSMITH IS OUT

Posted:   Nov 6, 2013 - 8:21 PM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

A silver Jaguar! Now I've seen it all!

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 3:03 PM   
 By:   Chickenhearted   (Member)

Guess the driver by below description.

He finished his cigarette, still listening to the radio, wound down the window, and threw the stub away.
At a touch of the button the 3. 8-liter engine beneath the long sloping bonnet of the Jaguar XK 150 S thundered once and settled down to its habitual and comforting rumble, like an angry animal trying to get out of a cage. ???? flicked on the two headlights, checked behind, and swung out into the growing traffic stream along Osdorf Way.

Posted:   Nov 8, 2013 - 4:44 PM   
 By:   Chickenhearted   (Member)

Guess the driver by below description.

He finished his cigarette, still listening to the radio, wound down the window, and threw the stub away.
At a touch of the button the 3. 8-liter engine beneath the long sloping bonnet of the Jaguar XK 150 S thundered once and settled down to its habitual and comforting rumble, like an angry animal trying to get out of a cage. ???? flicked on the two headlights, checked behind, and swung out into the growing traffic stream along Osdorf Way.