Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 17, 2012 - 1:16 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

death of a thousand cuts
a perfect storm

Posted:   Jul 17, 2012 - 1:18 PM   

"there are two kinds of people in this world". really hate that phrase, if it's true then how come the two kinds of people keep changing

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say things like "there are two kinds of people in the world," and those who know that the first kind are full of crap! big grin

the only place i have heard this, is the place where it originated: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY

Posted:   Jul 22, 2012 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

"Batman" and/or "The Dark Knight" and any and all of its prequels, sequels, and reboots.

And this is coming from someone who LOVES comic books.

Posted:   Aug 28, 2012 - 10:29 AM   
 By:   DavidinBerkeley   (Member)

"Button" as in

"that line put a button on that scene in CITIZEN KANE" or "we need a button for this song".

Yick.

Posted:   Aug 28, 2012 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

"Button" as in

"that line put a button on that scene in CITIZEN KANE" or "we need a button for this song".

Yick.

I've never cared for "cute as a button" either. I have yet to identify any button on any article of clothing that I would consider cute.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 12:34 AM   

Unless the speaker has a authentic and scientifically-measurable Southern accent, I think that no one should be using the term "critter."

Ick pah-TOO!

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 1:29 AM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 1:31 AM   
 By:   Nicholas_DW   (Member)

The British use this word so indiscriminately that it seems to have lost all meaning:

"Brilliant".

Someone places a cup of coffee in front of you and it's "brilliant!"

Anything and everything that pleases folks is deemed "brilliant"!

That sounds as bad as the American use of "amazing". Everything is amazing. Anything good must be amazing. I've started counting the number of times it's used in interviews and such. Just the other day I heard it used 8 times in an hour on one TV program. Gimme a break. Everything can't amaze you! If it does, you need to get out more.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 2:13 AM   
 By:   gone   (Member)

Henry Kissinger putting 30 secs of "uuuhhhhhhhhh" between each sentence.

Rap music : apparently something very important is being communicated, but I can barely understand a word of it.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 12:24 PM   

game changer
dog whistle

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 12:31 PM   
 By:   tex1272   (Member)

"Butt dialing."

I don't know anyone who carries a phone in thier back pocket. Maybe some do.

Posted:   Oct 4, 2012 - 4:38 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

Late to the party on this thread, so apologies if I'm repeating earlier entries...

"obviously" (muttered at the start of each sentence by barely sentient footballers)
"give 110%"

The Obviously thing (ha) - yeah - that really grinds my gears...I got served by someone in a shop locally a few days ago who could harldy get out a sentence without at least three "Obviously"s in it...if it's that obvious then I will know it already, and if you feel the need to tell me then it's probably not obvious!! Tit.

Giving 110%...oh, please....don't!!! Hate this with a vengeance...

There is a strange trend amongst youths to use the word "Aks" - as in "don't aks me, aks him"...instead of "ask"...I mean...what the hell? Do we just make up the language as we go along now? That's ok then, is it?

I work in an office where, thankfully, "Management Speak" is kept to a minimum...but it was not alway thus...so here is my list of phrases and words that I continue to hate to this day - and still hear them - on occasion - and I cringe every time...

"From The Get-Go...."
"Blue-Sky Thinking..."
"From the Groud Up..."*
"Client" (I work in a business where at one time, offenders were called "clients"....or "Service Users"....this didn't last long...)
"Stakeholder"
"Going Foward...."
"Incentivise" (I wish anyone who used this would actually figure out what it means...!)
"Forward planning..." (f**k right off...you either plan or you don't...)

And my current worst...I yell every time I hear it (which makes some meeting fun!) - "In Terms Of...."...

...stop the bus, I wan't to get off...

Posted:   Oct 7, 2012 - 10:22 AM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Now get this straight. I knew a guy who said that all the time and he was a sly twisted person.

Posted:   Oct 7, 2012 - 10:22 AM   

I am a 100% right, This woman was usually 75% wrong, yet that is all she would say on any issue in her life.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2012 - 5:51 PM   

I tell you i am not going to take it anymore- --- Yeah right 99% of the time we will, and the people who always say that, it's 100%

Posted:   Jan 3, 2013 - 9:53 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

The recent fad of using "trending" to mean "popular"

...as in, "See what's trending now in Hollywood fashion," or "Today's trending news stories..."

http://www.10news.com/entertainment/celebrity/kristen-stewarts-love-life-was-top-2012-trending-topic-among-curious-fans_97414476

Posted:   Jan 3, 2013 - 10:09 PM   

FISCAL CLIFF

Posted:   Apr 2, 2013 - 2:54 PM   

"Have you tried looking on the internet?"

"Maybe you can find it on the internet."

And all such variations that include the word "Google" as well, since they all assume that the listener has never heard of the internet.

Very annoying.

Posted:   Apr 2, 2013 - 8:28 PM   
 By:   gone   (Member)

variations that include the word "Google"

Not sure if I can comply with this... as it is my standard answer for questions from my wife that seem to assume I am a Trivia expert. smile

Posted:   Apr 2, 2013 - 8:32 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

Could we do away with platitudes as a whole?