Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 4, 2013 - 6:22 AM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

Yeah, it's been up for a couple days. Try clearing your internet cache, maybe?

Posted:   Jan 4, 2013 - 6:55 AM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

Day 4 of the Great Netflix Crash of 2013. I sure hope I get a free month out of this.

Have you tried contacting them? Our instant streaming has been working just fine, all four of the days.

There's no e-mail on the screen. It just says "We're sorry. The Netflix site is temporarily unavailable. Our engineers are working hard to bring the site back up as quickly as possible."

This sounds like another attempt at Netflix telling its non-instant viewing subscribers to fuck off (along with refusing to release physical versions of its original content).

Posted:   Jan 4, 2013 - 7:26 AM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

Well, it's working now. Turns out, I had to reload the page (you mean it doesn't reload when you open a new page?).

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 4:46 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

I'm two weeks into my Netflx trial period. I'm streaming from my AppleTV. Thus far its working flawlessly.

Little disappointed with their streaming inventory which is very limited. However there's a lot in the Disney, Marvel, BBC catalog that interests me. So I should get a lot of use out of the service for at least a year. At $8 dollars a month the price is right. I'll reevaluate again this time next year and see where they stand regarding content and pricing.

Streaming will never replace physical copies, but I can see it as an additional option in my viewing habits.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 6:29 PM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

Yes, verrrrrrrry limited! I've had both mail and streaming for YEARS, and sometimes go months without streaming a single movie, which is why I keep toying with dropping that part of my service. But it's certainly convenient when they have something one wants to see! But even the mail service can be problematic, because I can't think of much I want to put at the top of my queue. One day this week I got Oliver Stone's "Savages," which really isn't my cup of tea, but I still managed to enjoy it; but a few hours later discovered that I could have watched it on one of my cable channels.

Posted:   Nov 9, 2013 - 8:15 PM   
 By:   Senn555   (Member)

Using Netflix to catch up on Pound Puppies. I'll probably cancel my account once I'm finished (got only one more episode to watch anyhow).

Posted:   Nov 10, 2013 - 7:05 AM   

I'm digging Star Trek The Animated series. I haven't seen this since it's original broadcast! I know the DVD sells pretty cheaply now, but this is a good way to re-familiarize myself with the show before I purchase it on disc.

I've only seen a couple episodes each of Torchwood and Primeval so I will be diving into those series. Never saw series 1 thru 3 of Doctor Who so that is high on my watch list. I hear Sherlock Holmes is really good so I will watch that as well eventually.

Curious about Chuck. Looked interesting but never watched the series when it originally aired.

While they have the Disney/Marvel license it's a bit disappointing some titles are curiously missing like Iron Man and earlier Disney animated films.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 2:45 AM   
 By:   Ron Hardcastle   (Member)

I agree that it's sometimes IMPOSSIBLE to zip past the previews of coming attractions. But there's something that Focus Features started over a year ago which drives me nuts. They have bare bones DVDs specially created for the rental market WITHOUT any of the extras, and they have this annoying notice that these discs are for rental purposes only and if you want to enjoy the FULL viewing experience you should BUY it. So no deleted scenes. No making-of special. And, worst of all, no audio commentary. And I recently noticed that OTHER studios have now taken it up too. So it must save them money to burn these very limited DVDs and Blu-rays. In my case, I'll often rent a movie to see if I want to BUY it, such as "Star Trek: Into The Darkness," which I DIDN'T want to buy, although I will probably eventually buy the "Oblivion" Blu-ray (if the price drops). But who in the world is going to rent a movie, watch it, and then go out and buy it just to be able to see some of the (usually very limited!) special features? Puleeeeeeeze!

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 10:53 AM   
 By:   Joe E.   (Member)

I'm digging Star Trek The Animated series. I haven't seen this since it's original broadcast! I know the DVD sells pretty cheaply now, but this is a good way to re-familiarize myself with the show before I purchase it on disc.

I've only seen a couple episodes each of Torchwood and Primeval so I will be diving into those series. Never saw series 1 thru 3 of Doctor Who so that is high on my watch list. I hear Sherlock Holmes is really good so I will watch that as well eventually.

Curious about Chuck. Looked interesting but never watched the series when it originally aired.

While they have the Disney/Marvel license it's a bit disappointing some titles are curiously missing like Iron Man and earlier Disney animated films.

The Disney and Marvel stuff comes and goes. For a while they had all the pre-Avengers Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger), but the first three disappeared at some point, though I'd guess they'll be back at some other point. And various Disney titles have come and gone as well, including some of Pixar's movies, plus various Disney traditionally-animated titles.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 11:09 AM   

The Disney and Marvel stuff comes and goes. For a while they had all the pre-Avengers Marvel Cinematic Universe movies (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, and Captain America: The First Avenger), but the first three disappeared at some point, though I'd guess they'll be back at some other point. And various Disney titles have come and gone as well, including some of Pixar's movies, plus various Disney traditionally-animated titles.

Thanks for letting me know. Guess I have to jump on the things I want to see. I didn't know they rotate catalog titles like that. You would think if they have the license they would stay in the playlist.

Posted:   Nov 12, 2013 - 11:16 AM   
 By:   gone   (Member)

I work in the field of leading edge high tech, but am a total dinosaur when it comes to media. We get our movies out of Redbox, which are surprisingly reliable (especially the mechanical part). Periodically they do have network issues and they all go down at once; but rarely.

Otherwise, I bottom feed (prices) off ebay DVD auctions. smile

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 2:11 PM   

I've been checking out some of the foreign language movies on Netflix, and many don't seem to have English subtitles. Is there a way to turn this on? Or dose Netflix assume I know four different languages?

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 3:04 PM   

I've been checking out some of the foreign language movies on Netflix, and many don't seem to have English subtitles. Is there a way to turn this on? Or dose Netflix assume I know four different languages?

Any in particular? On my computer there's a little icon (the one in the middle below, in between HD and full screen) which, when I hover the cursor over it, pops up a subtitle menu:

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 3:27 PM   

Any in particular? On my computer there's a little icon (the one in the middle below, in between HD and full screen) which, when I hover the cursor over it, pops up a subtitle menu:

Thanks a lot. I'll see what my settings are. I can't remember any titles by name, one was Brazil a few others were Japanese.

Edit: Do you watch on your computer? I watch either directly on my television or Apple TV. I don't see any subtitle settings.

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 3:35 PM   

Edit: Do you watch on your computer? I watch either directly on my television or Apple TV. I don't see any subtitle settings.

I don't actually stream at all. I logged onto my a family member's Netflix account on my computer to look at the settings. Don't know how to control it on Apple TV, but the option should definitely be there.

Posted:   Dec 21, 2013 - 3:37 PM   

I don't actually stream at all. I logged onto my a family member's Netflix account on my computer to look at the settings. Don't know how to control it on Apple TV, but the option should definitely be there.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to dig a little more or call them then.