Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 27, 2013 - 9:14 PM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

Been giving the "military" thing a lot of thought and it seems to me that a case can be made that Star Fleet is closer to a modern day police force as seen in the U.S. and Europe.

Not strong enough. Unless you go to 'Day the Earth Stood Still' territory. As I said, UN peacekeeping forces is a better analogy.

Posted:   May 28, 2013 - 1:45 PM   
 By:   Ron Pulliam   (Member)

The entire franchise SCREAMS nautical military structure.

James Tiberius Kirk "may" have, in a moment of scriptwriting blindness, been given the line "I am a soldier", but no soldier ever rose to the rank of Admiral. Had he been a soldier, he would have risen to the rank of General.

Starfleet is not U.S. Navy or U.S. Coast Guard...in fact, it's not U.S. anything. It's a multi-national entity.

Spoken like a seaman. But when Kirk says 'soldier' you have to remember that the military in 'space' aren't going to be land-based, except perhaps as marines of a sort. They 'fly', they 'sail', they have no 'land' for manoeuvres. That distinction disappears. He therefore uses the term 'soldier' to denote his military status. He can hardly say he's a 'seaman'.

He could, however, have said he was a mariner. Mariners sail on ships. Enterprise is a ship, sailing across the galaxies.
( roll eyes ) ( big grin )