Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 4:18 AM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

The Dodgers-Padres game last night produced an ugly brawl that leaves Zach Greinke with a broken collar bone and a bizarre post-game confrontation that required police to break up Matt Kemp and Carlos Quentin going at each other again.

MLB had better come down with some heavy suspensions for this because these kinds of brawls are a disgrace.

Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 8:13 AM   
 By:   ANZALDIMAN   (Member)

Greinke is now lost for an extended period of time, and for what reason?

I'm not sure what led up to the brawl but these free for all's have to stop and MLB has to come front and center and lay the law down with severe punishments that actually will make the nonsense stop. The players association should just shut up for once on this one. Slaps on the wrists with these millionaires only hurt when they are suspended for long periods of time with their money taken away for games missed due to the idiocy.

That said..

The Mets are scheduled to play a game tonight in the frozen tundra of Minnesota. A freak spring snowstorm arrived there mid-week and temperatures will be cold enough tonight to remind one more of a Vikings game of the early 1970's with Joe Kapp behind center than an April major league baseball game.

If I were Terry Collins I'd keep a close eye on Jon Niese and put him on a strict pitch limit tonight. They simply cannot afford to lose Niese to possible injury playing in these types of conditions that are not suitable for baseball. The Twins of course no longer play in the Metrodome, and we knew when they moved to their new ballpark which was built without a retractable roof that this type of weather situation in that part of the country was a possibility.

Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 10:27 AM   

I'm not sure what led up to the brawl but these free for all's have to stop and MLB has to come front and center and lay the law down with severe punishments that actually will make the nonsense stop. The players association should just shut up for once on this one. Slaps on the wrists with these millionaires only hurt when they are suspended for long periods of time with their money taken away for games missed due to the idiocy.

The NHL long ago put an end to bench clearing brawls by calling for an automatic ejection of the "third man in" whenever a fight breaks out. MLB might try something like that so that if a fight breaks out it should just be mano-a-mano with automatic ejections for anyone else who steps in and make the umpires and managers responsible for acting as immediate peacemakers. When you reach a point where people are getting hurt like that and you're seeing the violence almost spill over to the clubhouse that is just absurd.

Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 6:39 PM   

Well, Big John Buck has hit another one tonight in chilly Minnesota.

That's four home runs in the last four games and the latest was a no doubt about it upper deck shot bomb for a grand slam. Buck has been on fire offensively for the Mets to open the season and what a pleasure it's been to see this kind of power provided by someone other than David Wright or Ike Davis on a regular basis.

The 32 year old veteran was basically a "throw in" in an exchange of catchers (Toronto got light hitting Josh Thole) in the R.A. Dickey deal and he has quickly paid dividends for the Mets. No telling how long this hot streak will last, but for now the Mets will continue to ride the wave they are now enjoying with Buck in the lineup and behind the plate. Amazing stats to open the season.

This is a guy who was just supposed to keep the catching position warm for the coming of Travis d'Arnaud. The young Mets pitchers love Buck's read of opposing hitters and his call of games. And if Buck keeps hitting like this, d'Arnaud's debut as the Mets catcher of the future will definately be delayed a bit. This is exactly the big bat power production in the lineup the Mets expected but never got from Jason Bay.

The Mets gave Jon Niese an early ten run lead to work with in this game tonight and he's having a hard time holding on to it. The Twins are chipping away.

Lucas Duda launched a few bombs of his own in the previous series in Philadelphia against the Phillies and his bat needs to keep going for the Mets to stay competitive long term. Duda has been all about power potential. He's in the lineup to drive the ball and his defense remains a liability. This is the year he has to come through and prove he can continue to hold onto a starting job.

Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 7:23 PM   

The NHL long ago put an end to bench clearing brawls by calling for an automatic ejection of the "third man in" whenever a fight breaks out. MLB might try something like that so that if a fight breaks out it should just be mano-a-mano with automatic ejections for anyone else who steps in and make the umpires and managers responsible for acting as immediate peacemakers. When you reach a point where people are getting hurt like that and you're seeing the violence almost spill over to the clubhouse that is just absurd.

It came down tonight that Quentin got an eight game suspension. No fine was as yet announced.

Meanwhile, Greinke will be lost to the Dodgers for two months with the broken collar bone.

The Dodgers lost a top starter, and Quentin will go about his business and play in a week (If he does not appeal) and I don't think we've seen the last of the bad blood this incident has generated.

Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 7:41 PM   

I was at the Devils hockey game tonight and it ended just in time for me to catch the last two innings of the Yankees on radio. I missed the three base error (shades of a certain game against the Mets four years ago!) but heard the triple play and I can't ever recall a triple play like that one! The final scoring was a phone number. 4-6-5-6-5-3-4!

Good outing by Sabathia and save for Mo puts the Yankees above .500 at last.

Posted:   Apr 12, 2013 - 11:46 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Reminds me of years ago RAY OYLER[SPELLING] of the DETROIT TIGERS a pesky little shortstop who started many a brawl on the field incidents. As a kid I saw first hand one at YANKEE STADIUM, doubleheader YANKS VS TIGERS, both benches was clear, RAY started it at shortstop with a Yankee runner.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2013 - 8:48 PM   

Another very impressive outing by Matt Harvey today.

Three wins in a row to start the season, and he took a no hitter deep into the ballgame today against Minnesota. He's currently pitching to the tune of a miniscule 0.82 era. Harvey is only in his early 20's and in his first full season in the big leagues but he pitches like a seasoned veteran who has been around the league for 10 years. If he stays healthy and as focused as he's been since he came up to the Mets at the end of last season this could be the start of something very special.

There is plenty to be excited about when watching Matt Harvey pitch. The poise, the command, the first pitch strikes. The last time there was this much serious early buzz around the Mets in the media concerning a pitcher was when a young Dwight Gooden first came up as a flamethrowing 19 year old phenom way back in the mid 1980's. I still remember catching glimpses of that huge mural of Gooden that was plastered prominently on the side of a high rise in Manhattan when I'd make frequent trips into the city. A long time ago now.

And while Gooden quickly squandered what initially looked like a Hall of Fame career with his off the field destructive behaviors, Harvey appears to be a much more mature and grounded individual. And a nice kid to boot. Time will tell of course, but right now he's looking like the future number one ace of a struggling franchise trying to rebound and find it's way back to where things left off in 2006. Mets fans are excited and with good reason. It's nice to have another home grown player with this much talent to cheer for again.

Posted:   Apr 13, 2013 - 9:13 PM   

I still remember catching glimpses of that huge mural of Gooden that was plastered prominently on the side of a high rise in Manhattan when I'd make frequent trips into the city. A long time ago now.

I remember that well too because that mural was before that an advertising space for Winston cigarettes (look carefully and that building is in the shape of a cigarette pack). Every time I went to a Ranger game at the Garden and we'd go up the escalator I'd always be staring at it.

Posted:   Apr 14, 2013 - 4:03 PM   

I wonder what is up on that building now if anything.

I was listening to Tony Paige on WFAN last night and he was interviewing Lee Lowenfish about the movie "42". Imagine my surprise when Paige during the conversation on a sports talk radio show asked Lowenfish "How was the music?"

Lowenfish replied that it was Mark Isham who composed the score, and Paige then commented about how he was annoyed at the rap music being played in the promos he'd seen for the film and they went back and forth about this for a few minutes. It took me completely by surprise because WFAN is one place where you don't expect to hear a discussion about music in movies.

Posted:   Apr 14, 2013 - 5:16 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Yes a nice mermory, that mural of MR Gooden. Saw it hundreds of times working in the big apple back in those days.

Posted:   Apr 17, 2013 - 7:55 AM   

For many fans, it's a reminder of how those late 80's Mets teams should have been competitive at least into the early 90's with the talent they had. More than several books have been written about this. Had some of the key players stayed out of trouble and concentrated on baseball instead of the wild nightlife of the time things may have been different. And although Mets fans cherish the 1986 World Championship and the 1988 season to a certain degree, that team as constituted should have had a longer run in post season play. It was not to be. I remember the late Gary Carter in later years commenting on how he tried to talk sense to some of the younger players and how it all fell on deaf ears.

Ahead to 2013..

It would be nice if the Mets could fly into a city for once this season to play on the road where it's not still snowing in April. First Minnesota, now Colorado. Yesterday they had to play a doubleheader in Colorado in frigid conditions as the first game in the series was snowed out.

Dillon Gee has not been impressive in his last several starts. He's got to have pinpoint control to be effective and that has not been the case since the season started. Hopefully some warmer weather will do the trick. He's a key in the middle of that rotation and they need better starts from him.

Posted:   Apr 19, 2013 - 10:37 PM   

Last night was the much ballyhooed Marquee Matchup. Stephen Strasburg vs. Matt Harvey.

Matt Harvey came out on top this time and pitched another gem. This time, it was against one of the best hitting lineups in baseball. The way Harvey pitched out of a jam with the bases loaded in the 7th was an eye opener. He did not give an inch and shut the Nationals down cold. 1 run, 4 hits, and 7 strikeouts tonight. Harvey remains undefeated this season.

Lucas Duda along with Ike Davis once again provided the power tonight that the Mets desperately need from both of them.

This video is from a game earlier this season, but you can get an idea of how Duda looks when he's locked in at the plate. The ball leaves the park in a hurry. If he can keep hitting like this and driving in runs the Mets can manage to live with his heavy glove in left. I can't stress enough how important his bat is in this lineup when he's crushing the baseball on a regular basis.

Posted:   Apr 19, 2013 - 10:37 PM   

dp

Posted:   Apr 20, 2013 - 7:31 PM   
 By:   Gary S.   (Member)

Tigers suck!

Posted:   Apr 20, 2013 - 7:32 PM   

Dupe

Posted:   Apr 20, 2013 - 7:33 PM   

Tigers suck!

I know it is early yet

Posted:   Apr 20, 2013 - 7:38 PM   

The Yankees have impressively rebounded from their bad start and been on a roll of late, this time overcoming the blowing of a 3-0 lead in the 8th inning to beat the Blue Jays who are so far striking out with all their big off-season acquisitions.

Unfortunately, Jeter is out until after the All Star break now and you have to wonder if he's ever going to come back. OTOH, Andy Pettitte has been absolutely perfect so far.

Posted:   Apr 20, 2013 - 8:42 PM   

Indeed, the Blue Jays have so far been under achievers and they've already lost Jose Reyes to a pretty severe ankle injury for at least few months. As I said when he left the Mets, Reyes depends on his legs to make things happen. That's his game. And whenever he gets hurt (which is often) it always takes forever to get him back healthy. And what they'll get when he finally does get back will be the big question for Toronto. He got the big contract from Miami and has not done much since.

The upside for Toronto is that after two flat starts in a row to open the season, R.A. Dickey has bounced back and has won his last two. But they are not at all to this point looking like the team that was predicted to dominate the division. Sometimes you spend the money and it works and sometimes it doesn't. We shall see.

The Yankees have surprised with a patchwork group of aging stars of yesteryear and they are rolling with it and playing good baseball right now. Vernon Wells, who many thought was through years ago has surprised and as a team they are still hitting for power. I said earlier here that I thought you could not count the Yankees out. Cashman can still pull off more moves as the season goes along to add to the mix.

Posted:   Apr 21, 2013 - 5:14 PM   

The Tigers continue to disappoint.