Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 15, 2003 - 11:30 AM   
 By:   Ed Kattak   (Member)

I don't do fast... just flash frozen. Is there really a difference?

What kind of flash frozen? I'm definitely up for trying new things.

When you say Flash Frozen, you don't mean something like frozen White Castle hamburgers?

Yummy
Ed

Posted:   Apr 16, 2003 - 12:53 AM   
 By:   Chris Kinsinger   (Member)

"Don't let those arteries rest for a moment!"

Hmmmm, a fascinating thought. Let's plan the perfect menu...Waffle House for breakfast, McDonald's for lunch, and how about KFC for dinner?

Posted:   Apr 16, 2003 - 1:04 AM   
 By:   ANZALDIMAN   (Member)

"Don't let those arteries rest for a moment!"

Hmmmm, a fascinating thought. Let's plan the perfect menu...Waffle House for breakfast, McDonald's for lunch, and how about KFC for dinner?

Gee Chris, that sounds like a recipe for resembling "Rerun"..

Posted:   Apr 16, 2003 - 8:50 AM   
 By:   Logied   (Member)

In my early teens we stopped at the original McDonalds in California on our way to Disneyland a number of times. San Bernadino if my memory is right. An there was Carol's 19 cent
hamburgers in Newport RI or there abouts after
leaving the Naval Base in the early 60's. My biggest memory is the TACO TIA in Barstow Calif.
with hot Sauce you could run your car on while cruisin on Sat. Nite. No mystery meat in Taco's in those days.

Posted:   Apr 16, 2003 - 4:43 PM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

In my early teens we stopped at the original McDonalds in California on our way to Disneyland a number of times. San Bernadino if my memory is right. An there was Carol's 19 cent
hamburgers in Newport RI or there abouts after
leaving the Naval Base in the early 60's. My biggest memory is the TACO TIA in Barstow Calif.
with hot Sauce you could run your car on while cruisin on Sat. Nite. No mystery meat in Taco's in those days.

TACO TIA still lives, in the Austin, TX area at least.

Here in Florida, when I was a kid, we had "Royal Castle" (a White Castle ripoff) which had 15 cent (postage stamp) hamburgers and a big mug of "birch beer" for 6 cents. The closest things I've seen around Florida these days to the White Castle/Royal Castle type food is a place called Krystal. The burgers are about an inch and a half square and very flat. God only knows what part of the cow furnishes the meat! Did anyone besides me ever notice that the frozen White Castle burgers have a plug about the size of a dime right out of the middle of the meat? Like maybe somebody thought they were getting too much meat???

Posted:   Feb 4, 2005 - 1:22 AM   
 By:   crimedog   (Member)

...anybody remember RAX???

They're still around, fortunately.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2005 - 1:36 PM   

It has been a while, but I have noticed that 2 so-called eat-in restaurants seem to be on the decline.

RAINFOREST CAFE
HOULIHANS

I know these are not fast food joints, but I didn't see the need to waste more server space by posting a different topic.

Very Truly Gaw Jus
Ed

Posted:   Feb 4, 2005 - 8:08 PM   
 By:   David in NY   (Member)

Hi Ed. Come across the river into Manhattan. In The Village on 6th Ave near 11th St. is a favorite of mine called 'E.Js.Luncheonette'.Don't be put off by the title of luncheonette. It's a retro 50's Diner that serves homemade foods.Their Bacon Cheeseburgers are my favorite in the city.Along with their homemade fries (regular or sweet potato).And their homemade mashed potatos and meatloaf is also very good.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2005 - 9:15 PM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Don't know if their loss is lamentable, but I remember:

SAMBO'S- A Denny's also ran whose icon was not, shall we say, politically correct. I remember them in only the southeastern US, but I think they went belly up in the early 1980s.

MISTER DONUT- The "other" donut chain and the one my family supported. Fruit punch and a boston creme donut after a haircut was a monthly tradition.

TACO VIVA- Their slogan was "When you say Taco...Say Viva!" The commercials featured a rip-off of Clint's "Man With No Name" character. I loved the "El Scorcho" sauce on my tacos. VIVA was much better than their eventual conqueror, TACO BELL.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2005 - 9:42 PM   

Hi Ed. Whenever I go to visit my Family in California I always make several pit-stops to probably my FAVORITE BURGERS in The U.S.A :
'IN-N-OUT-Burgers'. Actually, I collect the constantly changing In-n-out burger T-Shirts from each restaurant for when I'm back in NYC. If you're ever in California, do not miss going to IN-N-OUT. It's best if you have a car of course, but hey, it's California.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2005 - 10:26 PM   
 By:   Dr. Nigel Channing   (Member)

Anyone from Philly remember Levis's soda fountain -- the BEST chilly cheese dogs and champ cherry soda. All gone!

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 12:50 AM   

Hi Ed. Whenever I go to visit my Family in California I always make several pit-stops to probably my FAVORITE BURGERS in The U.S.A :
'IN-N-OUT-Burgers'. Actually, I collect the constantly changing In-n-out burger T-Shirts from each restaurant for when I'm back in NYC. If you're ever in California, do not miss going to IN-N-OUT. It's best if you have a car of course, but hey, it's California.

I will have to check out that place.

Is Wieneschnitzel's and Round Table Pizza still around in California?

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 12:51 AM   

Don't know if their loss is lamentable, but I remember:

SAMBO'S- A Denny's also ran whose icon was not, shall we say, politically correct. I remember them in only the southeastern US, but I think they went belly up in the early 1980s.

MISTER DONUT- The "other" donut chain and the one my family supported. Fruit punch and a boston creme donut after a haircut was a monthly tradition.

TACO VIVA- Their slogan was "When you say Taco...Say Viva!" The commercials featured a rip-off of Clint's "Man With No Name" character. I loved the "El Scorcho" sauce on my tacos. VIVA was much better than their eventual conqueror, TACO BELL.

Oh darn. Mister Donut is gone? I remember that place.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 1:10 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

Oh darn. Mister Donut is gone? I remember that place.

It's been gone from the south Florida area for many years. Don't know if it still exists in another region of the country like GODFATHER'S Pizza, which vanished from the southeast 20 years ago, yet I saw it alive and well in Idaho, of all places.

Dana: I think Miami Subs (horrible place that it is) has absorbed and/or joined into one with many of the failed fast food joints, like Kenny Rogers Roasters, Arthur Treacher's etc.

BTW, is HARDEE'S still around anywhere? I still recall their very catchy jingle from the early 1980s: "Hardees/best eatin' in town up and down and all around." We had the very similar ARBY'S instead, and I only got to HARDEE'S whenever we visited the Carolinas.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 4:23 AM   

I'm not trying to take-over this thread, but I really, Really, REALLY miss Roy Rogers.

Not Roy himself...his fast-food joints.

Recently, I discovered Roy Rogers restaurants along the Pennsylvania Turnpike...Bonita & I stopped to try them out with great interest, only to be sorely disappointed.

I wonder

Whatever happened to Chris K and his bride Bonita aka "bulleteyes"?
I hope 2005 finds them well.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 4:27 AM   

Ed,

One I DONT miss, was "Jack In The Box"..
You wanna talk gas....

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 12:47 PM   

ED - IN-N-OUT Burgers are all over So.California usually by busy intersections and you can sometimes see them driving along freeways near off-ramps. Try them, (and don't forget the t-shirts for when you return.They are genuine conversation starters here on the East Coast!)

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 3:45 PM   
 By:   opinionated   (Member)

To all of you on the Eastern Seaboard: In-n-Out Burgers are as good as they say and the fries are even better - I think they're fried in peanut oil or at least a better-than-average oil. And yes, Wienerschnitzel and Round Table Pizza are still here.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 7:07 PM   

Holy Jack-May-Offer!

I just forgot about LITTLE CAESARS.

No More Pizza-Pizza.

As far as MIAMI SUBS, I think I remember seeing some abandoned or reconstituted MIAMI SUBS buildings down in Ft. Lauderdale last month.

Viva la POLLO TROPICAL!

Very Truly Gaw Jus
Ed

Posted:   Feb 5, 2005 - 10:42 PM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

Dana: I think Miami Subs (horrible place that it is) has absorbed and/or joined into one with many of the failed fast food joints, like Kenny Rogers Roasters, Arthur Treacher's etc.

BTW, is HARDEE'S still around anywhere? I still recall their very catchy jingle from the early 1980s: "Hardees/best eatin' in town up and down and all around." We had the very similar ARBY'S instead, and I only got to HARDEE'S whenever we visited the Carolinas.

Miami Subs is still around, pbb, with Arthur Treacher's deep-fried, over-breaded delicacies and Nathan's famous tube-steaks imbedded therein. They're all 3 together but the big sign says "Miami Subs." As regards Hardees, there are a bunch of them around the south, though they fled South Florida after only a brief stay. (South Florida is not and never has been part of the south, to clarify a point.) I see them all the way from Northern Florida west to Texas when we travel that way. They do have phenomenal bisuits and some other interesting stuff if you're into the fast food thing.

Anybody here remember "Lum's" with their famous "hot dogs steamed in beer?"