Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 8, 2010 - 12:04 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

I still haven't gotten through more than a third of Season 2 at this point in terms of viewing (so I haven't picked up S3 yet). I think my problem as a relative newcomer to the show (I only caught a few episodes on TV Land) is that after going through S1, I got too acclimated to the original format that I needed to put some distance from the show so I could then get used to watching the final "Mannix alone" format (I still think they dropped the ball in not having Joe Campanella come back even once).

Posted:   Jan 8, 2010 - 12:25 PM   
 By:   Stefan Miklos   (Member)

Just watched "The Playground" and Mitch Cantrell was quite a nice guy! wink Interesting, artsy direction from Paul Krasny and a solid score from Fred Steiner.

It's always a pleasure to see Leslie Parrish outside of Star Trek. smile

In looking back over this thread I see that only Banacek, Paddon, that Steve Ihnat fan, and I have been the only contributors to this topic. A show that ran eight years with great incidental music and no one posts...

...So feel free to insult anyone on the board you don't like---they'll never see it! wink

There used to be another person who likes it: Sir T.

I never got into the season 1's concept and I found season 1 rather boring apart from a selection of episodes.
I don't know if it is due to the film-making, the stories or the studio set look.
I was so disappointing by season 1 that I almost wished to cease watching the rest of the seasons.
Season 2 got me hooked.

Posted:   Jan 8, 2010 - 2:12 PM   
 By:   Jon A. Bell   (Member)

FYI; Culp and Cosby wore Persol sunglasses in "I Spy."

I'd love to track down the exact makes they wore (apparently these specific ones are still being manufactured.) They have a timeless 1960s-retro feel.

Posted:   Jan 9, 2010 - 1:07 AM   
 By:   Stefan Miklos   (Member)

FYI; Culp and Cosby wore Persol sunglasses in "I Spy."

I'd love to track down the exact makes they wore (apparently these specific ones are still being manufactured.) They have a timeless 1960s-retro feel.

FYI, I know that only Culp wore that specific Persol sunglasses in "I Spy".

Posted:   Jan 9, 2010 - 7:00 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

"The Sound of Darkness" could've been another in a long, worn-out concept of Our Hero Blind for a Day, but the absolutely wonderful character dynamic between Mannix, Peggy--I love her--and Robert Reed's Adam Tobias is given much to work with here. The affection that these characters have for one another comes through here and is quite touching.

Jerry Fielding's score is sometimes over-the-top during the rehabilitation scenes, but he's spot-on with the action sequences. The car chase where Joe is pretending to drive is Jerry at his best. I hear echoes of "The Wild Bunch" and "Alfredo Garcia" but served in a "Theme from Mannix" sauce! wink

MANNIX!

Posted:   Sep 30, 2010 - 1:23 PM   

Mannix Season Four News:

Mannix, starring Mike Connors, ran for 8 seasons on the CBS network in the late '60s/early '70s. In 2008 and 2009, CBS DVD and Paramount Home Entertainment released the first three season sets on DVD, and fans have been wondering if the studio would continue with these releases any further. Earlier this week, a question was asked at the CBS Home Entertainment fan page on Facebook, about this very subject, and after a general answer the same day, yesterday the studio updated him and gave a very specific answer which included the street date!
Ted Linhart - Any news on Mannix season 4 release timing?

CBS Home Entertainment - Ted, CBS is currently working on the 2011 release schedule over the next few months. We don't currently know what shows will be on the schedule as of yet. Thanks for posting and stay tuned

Ted. new information, Mannix S4 is scheduled to release 1/4/2011
The studio hasn't formally announced that to retailers or press yet, so it could be subject to possible change. But right now January 4th is their planned street date for Mannix - The 4th Season on DVD. Make your plans accordingly! Our thanks and congrats to Ted for getting the goods on this one...stay tuned for updates.

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mannix-Season-4/14478#ixzz112w0pdQD

Posted:   Sep 30, 2010 - 9:24 PM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Those of you who purchased the DVD sets of Mannix, I have certain questions to ask you:

1. What is your favourite set among the two available?
2. Can you tell me your favourite episodes for each of the two sets?
season 1:
season 2:
3. What are your favourite cast and crew (writer, director, composer) from these two sets?
4. What is your general opinion about those sets? Your criticism is needed.

1. The season 2 set is my favourite all the way.
It's like watching "Mission: Impossible". Superb!

2. Favourite episodes

*season 1
"The Name is Mannix"
"Make It Like It Never Happened"
"Huntdown"
"Dead Fall, Part 1 & 2"
"Then The Drink takes the Man"

*season 2
"The Silent Cry"
"To the Swiftest, Death"
"Edge of the Knife"
"The Need of a Friend"
"Night Out of Time"
"A View of Nowhere"
"Deathrun"
"Shadow of a Man"
"The Girl who Came in with the Tide"
"Death in a Minor Key"
"End Game"

3. Favourite crew members:

*season 1

Directors:
Leonard J. Horn
Laslo Benedek
Gerald Mayer

Composers:
Lalo Schifrin
Jerry Fielding

*season 2

Actors:
Steve Ihnat: the greatest performance of season 2!
Jason Evers
Anthony Zerbe
William Windom
Fritz Weaver
John Colicos
Paul Stevens
Larry Linville
Katherine Woodville
Nancy Kovack
Linda Marsh
Barbara Babcock

Directors:
Sutton Roley
John Moxey
Stuart Hagmann
Gerald Mayer

Composers:
Lalo Schifrin
Jerry Fielding
Richard Markowitz
Robert Drasnin
Richard Shores

4. Main complaint: no English subtitles. Fotunately, they included CC.

Didn't (Joseph) Mullendore score an episode as well?

Posted:   Oct 1, 2010 - 12:07 AM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

Joseph Mullendore only composed "Lost Art of Dying" for season 4.

Posted:   Oct 1, 2010 - 1:11 AM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

Joseph Mullendore only composed "Lost Art of Dying" for season 4.

Probably his last work for television.

Posted:   Oct 3, 2010 - 6:09 AM   

I'm glad that CBS/Paramount hasn't given up on ol' Joe because the show was just starting to get interesting! Season two is my favorite so far, with some outstanding scores, great guest stars--this era of TV always did--and that wonderful rapport between Mike Connors and Gail Fisher.

I'm looking forward to Joe's louder jackets, increasingly puffy hair, and the onset of the 1970s.

Mannix!

Posted:   Oct 25, 2010 - 4:21 PM   

Mannix, fourth season box art:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/Mannix_S4.jpg

Posted:   Jan 5, 2011 - 3:48 PM   

DVD review of Mannix, the fourth season:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46450/mannix-fourth-season/

Posted:   Apr 18, 2011 - 5:00 PM   

Fifth season box art (preliminary?) for the July 5, 2011 release.

Posted:   Apr 18, 2011 - 5:03 PM   

"The popular, long-running detective drama returns to DVD! MANNIX, the show about a tough and cynical private investigator, stars Golden Globe winner Mike Connors as the title character. Mannix is a hard-boiled and gritty detective who constantly defies rules and regulations and is able to take all the fist fights, high-speed car chases and bullet wounds that come his way in stride. Collectible 6 disc-set includes all 30 action-packed fifth season episodes."

They're jammin' 'em in there, Peggy!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mannix-Season-5/15267#ixzz1JvGgfwnU

Posted:   Apr 18, 2011 - 5:23 PM   
 By:   TheSaint   (Member)

"The popular, long-running detective drama returns to DVD! MANNIX, the show about a tough and cynical private investigator, stars Golden Globe winner Mike Connors as the title character. Mannix is a hard-boiled and gritty detective who constantly defies rules and regulations and is able to take all the fist fights, high-speed car chases and bullet wounds that come his way in stride. Collectible 6 disc-set includes all 30 action-packed fifth season episodes."

They're jammin' 'em in there, Peggy!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mannix-Season-5/15267#ixzz1JvGgfwnU

This is some great news! Now, where's the announcement for Perry Mason Season 6, vol.1?

Posted:   Apr 19, 2011 - 3:15 AM   

This is some great news! Now, where's the announcement for Perry Mason Season 6, vol.1?

Mannix doesn't need a lawyer! He *is* the law! (to be honest, Mannix often stayed out of court, thank goodness) wink

(we should be getting word on S11 of Hawaii Five-O as well; hope they don't botch the job. mad

Posted:   Apr 20, 2011 - 5:23 PM   

Correction on that S5 episode count; it's 24 episodes, like usual.

Posted:   Apr 22, 2011 - 2:31 PM   

Updated artwork:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mannix-Season-5/15287

Mannix!

Posted:   Apr 24, 2011 - 4:51 AM   

One of the great things about the FSM board is its love for Mannix.

Posted:   Apr 27, 2011 - 4:58 AM   

Mike "Touch" Connors at the Sinatra Golf Tournament, 1996. Love the sunglasses and his last remark...