Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 8:22 AM   
 By:   welwynfilmstudios   (Member)

Back in November, the BBC Northern Ireland programme Those Were The Days broadcast a vintage clip of Tom Baker visiting a school, which had been part of a number of news items following the actor as he visited Belfast during the 1970s. The clips were discovered by archivist Evan Marshall when researching for the archive television series, which as well as the school also included the actor visiting a hospital, 'mobbed' in a shopping centre, and doing an interview for BBC Radio Ulster.

Additionally, Tom Baker was filmed as he turned on the Christmas lights, and the BBC's Adventure Calendar has now made both this festive themed clip and the original raw school footage shown in Those Were The Days alongside the shopping centre appearance available to watch online.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/12/dwn1612112150-tom-baker-in-vintage.html

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 9:10 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

A major test of my 13-year marriage will be my wife's reaction when she sees that among her Christmas gifts are Destiny of the Daleks and The Horns of Nimon...I also got her The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novel...This year's a Season 17 Christmas! wink

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 9:29 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

I loved Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee and pretty much gave up after that. As a very small lad I recall seeing a b&W episode where they had insect men. Havent a clue what it was called but there were pictures in the newspaper showing one of the men dressed as an insect waiting for a bus I think in a publicity shot. I also recall yeti coming out of the tube tunnels, window dummies coming to life and even remember watching the 3 doctors episode from Pertwee's series. Happy days.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 9:39 AM   

A major test of my 13-year marriage will be my wife's reaction when she sees that among her Christmas gifts are Destiny of the Daleks and The Horns of Nimon...I also got her The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novel...This year's a Season 17 Christmas! wink

I hear Horns of Nimon was the template for JNT when he planning out his time on Doctor Who LOL

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 9:41 AM   

I loved Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee and pretty much gave up after that. As a very small lad I recall seeing a b&W episode where they had insect men. Havent a clue what it was called but there were pictures in the newspaper showing one of the men dressed as an insect waiting for a bus I think in a publicity shot. I also recall yeti coming out of the tube tunnels, window dummies coming to life and even remember watching the 3 doctors episode from Pertwee's series. Happy days.

That was probably The Web Planet. Being a Hartnell fan, that would make even me shudder. LOL

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 9:52 AM   

good to know, John, Thanks. I recall there used to be regular publicity pictures in the newspapers in those days. One of Who's early assistants, not sure if it was Troughton's girl assistant around the time of the scots lad in the kilt, was pictured wearing a black leather suit and holding a space ray gun. Havent a clue who she was, but she was pretty!

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 10:37 AM   

good to know, John, Thanks. I recall there used to be regular publicity pictures in the newspapers in those days. One of Who's early assistants, not sure if it was Troughton's girl assistant around the time of the scots lad in the kilt, was pictured wearing a black leather suit and holding a space ray gun. Havent a clue who she was, but she was pretty!

That would be Wendy Padbury.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 11:40 AM   

I hear Horns of Nimon was the template for JNT when he planning out his time on Doctor Who LOL

You laugh, but I'm warming to the eighteenth season! Meglos is already a favorite--for all the wrong reasons--and...I like Meglos. big grin

I also like Peter Howell and Paddy Kingsland's music for that story, particularly that "religious" motif that's heard whenever Jaqueline Hill's zealots are seen.

JNT had no clue that the story's authors were, as you Brits say, "taking the piss" out of him with Meglos.

Don't have the E-Space trilogy yet...but The Leisure Hive, Logopolis and that second-to-last one big grin are in my collection, too.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 11:49 AM   

You laugh, but I'm warming to the eighteenth season! Meglos is already a favorite--for all the wrong reasons--and...I like Meglos. big grin

I also like Peter Howell and Paddy Kingsland's music for that story, particularly that "religious" motif that's heard whenever Jaqueline Hill's zealots are seen.

JNT had no clue that the story's authors were, as you Brits say, "taking the piss" out of him with Meglos.

Don't have the E-Space trilogy yet...but The Leisure Hive, Logopolis and that second-to-last one big grin are in my collection, too.

I love Logopolis. Baker is nothing short of brilliant in this story, that I find at times the rest of the cast are having trouble keeping up. There's alot of techies speak, it would give TNG a run for it's money.

Watch out for State of Decay, if only for the scenes between Baker and Lalla Ward where they have to look away from each other when saying their lines.

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 11:55 AM   

I love Logopolis. Baker is nothing short of brilliant in this story, that I find at times the rest of the cast are having trouble keeping up. There's alot of techies speak, it would give TNG a run for it's money.

Watch out for State of Decay, if only for the scenes between Baker and Lalla Ward where they have to look away from each other when saying their lines.

The Bidmead year is a mixed bag. I like him as an interview subject when he discusses his ideas, but the budget and crap acting of the three new assistants hurt the season and I wish he'd stayed longer. I thought Nyssa and Adric had potentially good chemistry in "Traken", don't know where the hell it went though.

I love the "futuristic" dot matrix-style printer being showcased in Logopolis! big grin

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 12:07 PM   

Why thank you john. This is going to seem strange but I know her from her later work - Blood On Satan's Claw - but never knew it was the same girl from my childhood memory. Clearly she was "known" without being known from what. Looking her up on imdb, it doesnt list a lot, but she seemed to be about forever!
Now a theatrical agent it says!

Posted:   Dec 20, 2011 - 1:00 PM   

Why thank you john. This is going to seem strange but I know her from her later work - Blood On Satan's Claw - but never knew it was the same girl from my childhood memory. Clearly she was "known" without being known from what. Looking her up on imdb, it doesnt list a lot, but she seemed to be about forever!
Now a theatrical agent it says!

I remember when she was in a series called Freewheelers.

Posted:   Dec 21, 2011 - 3:04 AM   

Wasn't this around the time just before they were married and Tom was suffering from some physical ailment where the curl fell out of his hair?

Posted:   Dec 25, 2011 - 3:30 AM   

Many mourn the lost love that was Liz and Dick, but some of us become wistful when we think of Lalla and Tom...their love should have lasted forever.

Posted:   Dec 25, 2011 - 11:24 AM   
 By:   ToneRow   (Member)

Hi, Jim.

"The Leisure Hive" is not one of my favorite serials, but it's interesting that about 25% of the cast had appeared in Hammer's "Vampire Circus"!

Adrienne Corri:

Laurence Payne

Lalla Ward

Posted:   Dec 26, 2011 - 6:02 AM   

I'm largely unaware of Hammer history, but it's probably something I'll be exploring, if just for its Englishness. big grin

Watched Destiny of the Daleks last night and have to say it's not as bad as everyone tries to brainwash you into believing. The new Davros is weak, but the use of the shattered Skaro set and quarry are well done. wink The only thing I could have done without was the regeneration fashion show at the start. Silly!

Posted:   Dec 26, 2011 - 6:37 AM   

I'm largely unaware of Hammer history, but it's probably something I'll be exploring, if just for its Englishness. big grin

Jim Phelps not familiar with Hammer???

Unbelievable!!!

Nerve-Shattering!!!

Horror of Horrors!!!

...but, seriously though, if you are uninitiated into Hammer Films, you should investigate their movies primarily for their music, being a score enthusiast.

I usually don't go around pushing products here at FSM, but if there is just ONE book you need to get - it's this:

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/book-2.php?id=978-0-7864-3456-5

This is a thoroughly remarkable & essential publication (the only one I'm aware of) which parallels my very own aesthetic position that film music between 1956 and 1974 was at its most sophisticated by utilizing contemporary classical concert music techniques.

This book surveys just about every aspect satisfyingly, including a little focus on Hammer's TV scores as well. The only composer omitted by this author is Wilfred Josephs (only heavens know why) - otherwise it's quite comprehensive.

Posted:   Dec 26, 2011 - 8:05 AM   

If you do, you'll see a surfeit of English actors who have appeared on many ITV & BBC television programs throughout the 1960s & early '70s.

Adrienne Corri, to cite just one actress, did guest spots in:

THE ADVENTURER
UFO
DEPARTMENT "S"
RANDALL & HOPKIRK deceased
THE CHAMPIONS

ADAM ADAMANT LIVES!

DANGER MAN (twice)
&
ONE STEP BEYOND

Not to mention her film appearances, like TELL-TALE HEART (1960) in which Corri acted with Laurence Payne (yet again!)

Posted:   Dec 28, 2011 - 6:05 PM   

Caught a Hitchhiker's Guide in joke in Destiny of the Daleks...Oolon Coluphid's The Origins of the Universe is read by the Doctor as he's trapped under some rubble in episode one.

Posted:   Jan 4, 2012 - 2:22 PM   

The Horns of Nimon...

Promising premise poorly executed. Only Dudley Simpson's score is praiseworthy. Crap kid actors, including Janet Ellis who comes off as a nasty airhead when interviewed for the "Blue Peter" featurette. However, the worst part of "Nimon" wasn't even the monsters, but the dreary photography. The story doesn't even rate a "Behind the Scenes" extra. I'll be watching with the commentary track on tonight.