Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Sep 3, 2012 - 8:10 PM   
 By:   Marlene   (Member)

I loved the score. Its always been "in your face". Nice take on some old themes. Already can't wait for Series 7 soundtrack. Seems they did a huge "rewind". Not sure how die hard fans are gonna feel about that.

I didn't like the "sudden" fabricated conflict for Amy and Rory. Came out of no where. Her profession seemed ridiculous too. How did that come about? (Edited out a spoiler) No one can replace the chemistry Karen and Matt have together.

Yeah, it seemed to be included only to have a more emotional punch at the end.

It actually was prepared during the webcasts 'Pond Life' released before the pilot aired. But I knew that only after watching it by reading some info on Wikipedia... so I found it strange at first too. Seemed a bit too constructed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pond_Life_(Doctor_Who)

Posted:   Sep 3, 2012 - 8:46 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

Her profession seemed ridiculous too. How did that come about?

She's been doing that since at least before "Closing Time" last season.

Yep, I stand corrected. A friend of mine said the same thing. I just don't remember that at all. frown

I wouldn't have remembered it either, had I not watched "Closing Time" and the subsequent 2 episodes immediately before Asylum of the Daleks. It's one aspect of the show I find a little difficult....the pieces of the various major and minor puzzles just get a little too intricate sometimes.

Posted:   Sep 4, 2012 - 4:25 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

It actually was prepared during the webcasts 'Pond Life' released before the pilot aired. But I knew that only after watching it by reading some info on Wikipedia... so I found it strange at first too. Seemed a bit too constructed.

I found out afterwards as well. Its a trend I don't like. Most people probably don't see these web videos. Moore tried to explain plot holes in his webcast for BSG. Again wrong way to go. People shouldn't have to watch webcasts and web videos in order to fill in the blanks. It's become a lazy out for some producers. The episodes should tell us all we need to know.

I wouldn't have remembered it either, had I not watched "Closing Time" and the subsequent 2 episodes immediately before Asylum of the Daleks. It's one aspect of the show I find a little difficult....the pieces of the various major and minor puzzles just get a little too intricate sometimes.

Exactly, at best what was it a throw away scene? Like in the last episode? Sometimes the writing is too convoluted. At least for me. Though I do immensely love the characters in the series.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2012 - 3:53 PM   
 By:   Mike_J   (Member)

After Asylum I had some renwed enthusiam for the show, which lasted precisely 17 minutes into tonigh's episode.

Maybe if Dinosaurs On Spaceship had been an episode of Sarah Jane Adventures it would have been ok but as a Doctor Who episode it really didn't cut the mustard. Those robots for example look to have come straight out of some silly children's show.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2012 - 4:08 PM   
 By:   johnjohnson   (Member)

Those robots for example look to have come straight out of some silly children's show.

You just watched it. big grin

Posted:   Sep 9, 2012 - 2:06 AM   

Those robots for example look to have come straight out of some silly children's show.

You just watched it. big grin

Good point. Only one step away from bringing back the Happyness Patrol!

Posted:   Sep 9, 2012 - 2:15 AM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

It wasn't the best episode, had some nice moments though. Amy was comfortably in charge, Rory's dad with the trowel and whacking the bird, the Doctor recognising the change between Amy / Rory and him.

Not entirely convinced about what he did at the end with the ship. He seemed to aloof. I'm surprised he let the big game hunter off with the tranq gun.

Posted:   Sep 9, 2012 - 7:23 AM   

It wasn't the best episode, had some nice moments though.

So, after the first episode, but to the norm then?

Posted:   Sep 9, 2012 - 6:18 PM   

Had a few nice moments, but one of the least interesting episodes in a long time. Felt like it was written for a very young audience. Kinda liked the robots. They reminded me of twiddle dee and twiddle dum. A Triceratops that behaved like a puppy was over the top but hilarious.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2012 - 1:37 PM   

Well, final episode tonight and sadly none of this series has lived up to the high bar set in the first episode.

I liked some of the New York stuff but once again felt the writing overall was pretty awful. I just so wish the writers would come up with actual plots rather than ideas which are stitched together with a bunch of quick resolutions.

I didn't find the ending at all emotional - leaving aside the fact that I was getting a bit bored with the soap-opera-ish Pond scum, it was just too open ended. There is no reason why the Doctor can't find Amy and Rory at some point in the future. I'd have preferred it if they were actually dead. .

I'll tune in for the Xmas special (well, record it since I'm away on holiday) but mostly because I'm interested to see how Jenna Louise Coleman's character is re-introduced. She was a fabulous character in Asylum Of The Daleks and think she will make for a brilliant companion.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2012 - 7:30 PM   

Well I love every moment with the Doctor and the Ponds. But I do agree this seemed like a bunch of stitched together ideas and I have no idea why its absolute. Bizarre way to write the Ponds out. Anyway I loved the ride. Interested to see what this new girl can do.

Posted:   Sep 29, 2012 - 11:57 PM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Well I love every moment with the Doctor and the Ponds. But I do agree this seemed like a bunch of stitched together ideas and I have no idea why its absolute. Bizarre way to write the Ponds out. Anyway I loved the ride. Interested to see what this new girl can do.

Probably to stop fan insistence that the Ponds come back, like still happens with Rose.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 2:08 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

Sorry to say goodbye to Karen Gillen as Amy Pond. One of the very best assistants. She'll be missed. However we will be seeing plenty of Karen Gillen in the future, that's for sure.

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 3:32 AM   
 By:   Storyteller   (Member)

Well, Doctor Who went out with a whimper... but it looked nice.

I think the Muppets taking Manhattan was scarier. Overall, this was a "meh" episode. Normally, you would just shrug it off and wait for the next, except this was the conclusion to "The Ponds" storyline. I felt nothing at the end, and hated the exit. What a cop out, and yet another waste of one of the scariest Doctor Who villains in years. The angels are no longer frightening at all. Well, maybe the kids are.

So, the locations looked great, some of the interactions between the characters were nice, but in the end I felt so empty from the whole thing.

Maybe we'll eventually get a time-whimey, wibbly-wobbly make-up episode with a better farewell for Amy and Rory. Until then, Doctor Who is "Don't Open Till Christmas".

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 4:46 AM   

I think the Muppets taking Manhattan was scarier.

Haha! Genius! smile

Posted:   Sep 30, 2012 - 7:40 AM   

Very disappointing series. I only liked one of the last five episodes. Its like they lost interest in the Ponds and just wanted to get it over with so they could move onto a new companion and new ideas. Also disappointed the last five episodes were not a continuation which built up to a big final. I think back on the Pandorica storyline which was cinematic brilliance.

Edit: Now that I think about it I would have preferred a simple ending. Amy and Rory simply telling the doctor they needed to slow down and live a normal life. A few hugs and that's it. I'm disliking this rash, rushed attempt at a tragic tear jerker more and more.

Posted:   Oct 11, 2012 - 11:26 AM   

Rory’s dad, Brian Williams, only appeared in two episodes but swiftly established himself as a favourite amongst Doctor Who’s audience. After Amy and Rory’s heart-breaking departure in The Angels Take Manhattan the BBC Doctor Who Team received many emails asking what happened next to Brian. Did he ever find out what took his son and daughter-in-law? If so, how? And would Brian – and viewers - ever learn more about Amy and Rory’s life after the Doctor?

A special scene was written by Chris Chibnall that revealed some of the answers but sadly, the sequence was never shot. However, the BBC Doctor Who site will be bringing you the scene tomorrow. Using animated storyboards and a voice-over specially recorded by Arthur Darvill, we’ll discover more about Brian and the Ponds, post-Angels.

It begins with Brian alone, doing what he once told the Doctor must be done – watering the plants. But his life is about to change forever...

Doctor Who’s Executive Producer, Caro Skinner, said:

"We’re delighted we can present this lovely scene written by Chris Chibnall. People took Rory’s dad, Brian, to their hearts very quickly, so it’s fitting we can give the character a degree of closure in this poignant piece."

P.S. is a short video written by Chris Chibnall and will be essential viewing for anyone who wants to know more about what happened to Brian, Amy and Rory. It will be available to watch on the BBC Doctor Who site Tomorrow (Friday 12th October).

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/PS-What-Happened-to-Brian-and-the-Ponds.aspx

Posted:   Oct 11, 2012 - 2:53 PM   

I assume if one lives outside of the UK the video will not be viewable?

Posted:   Oct 11, 2012 - 5:47 PM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

I assume if one lives outside of the UK the video will not be viewable?

Doubtful...though those of us in the UK may try to assist...

Posted:   Oct 12, 2012 - 2:29 AM   
 By:   Jehannum   (Member)

This has been a disappointingly weak series compared to the last one. There were problems on every level. Feeble stories with poor resolutions. Amy reduced to pseudo-comedic one liners. After how much she'd improved as a character last year this is a particularly annoying regression.

The Dalek story held promise which wasn't realised in the rest of the series. The cowboy episode was an embarrassing low point of amateurish writing. After the cube episode I no longer held any hope.