Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Aug 5, 2013 - 7:52 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

1000 POSTS!!!

Thanks everyone. Let's keep this thread going and keep it in the true spirit of The Beautiful Game. You know, tribalism, ancient hatreds, poor officiating, overpaid underachievers, and the glorification of guys who dive, spit, bite, and head butt their way to football glory. big grin

Posted:   Aug 5, 2013 - 9:47 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Yeah, Phelpsmeister, well done!! I was worried some unsuspecting newbie poster would log on out of the blue and steal your glory!

As you are our 1000th customer, you win a free soundtrack CD from SAe from a football-themed film of your choice!!

Dont get too excited - aside from Escape to Victory there isnt much worth having!!
Cant think of any others.

Yep, Jim's monster thread has become a football diary for the history of the past two season's or so.

Let's keep this thread going and keep it in the true spirit of The Beautiful Game. You know, tribalism, ancient hatreds, poor officiating, overpaid underachievers, and the glorification of guys who dive, spit, bite, and head butt their way to football glory

And that's just me, you, TG, Thomas and Kev!!!

Posted:   Aug 6, 2013 - 12:33 AM   

BREAKING NEWS: And now we're going live to our reporter outside Tottenham's training ground to find out the latest on the Gareth Bale transfer to Real Madrid.

Reporter: " blah blah Blah gareth bale due to train thismorning...blah blah...will be arriving in his car...blah blah ....wants to go to Real...blah blah... club insists he is not for sale..."
result: absolutely no further on from where we were every day since last week.

Posted:   Aug 7, 2013 - 1:13 AM   

Lots of Suarez quotes for Thomas and Kev to get their teeth into....

Meanwhile....down in the batcave....Gareth Bale still isnt for sale...but he trained with the squad yesterday...and is unhappy. Sorry, had we told you that?

Posted:   Aug 7, 2013 - 1:33 AM   
 By:   Thomas   (Member)

Indeed, Bill

Another day, another tale in this seemingly never ending Franchise Enhancement Window saga involving the legend in his own mind that is Luis Suarez…

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/06/luis-suarez-liverpool-arsenal-transfer

I assume the 'foot injury' he has was caused by sticking it too far down his own throat.

One thought crosses the mind though. If he does go to Arsenal and they fail to win their Champions League play off tie, does he put another clause in there so he can get a move to another Champions League team?

Posted:   Aug 7, 2013 - 5:27 AM   

Good point. And i dont see arsenal being big enough for him.

Breaking news. Suarez has gone to barcelona.
But its dennis.
Not luis.

Posted:   Aug 9, 2013 - 12:47 PM   

gareth bale is still not for sale.
Luis Suarez is still not for sale - especially not to a rival club.
Wayne Rooney is still not for sale.

Posted:   Aug 11, 2013 - 12:36 PM   

would you believe no change since the last update.
exciting isnt it??!

Posted:   Aug 11, 2013 - 4:57 PM   

Bill, you deserve a prize of your own for keeping this thread going. Maybe this year's Liverpool away shirt or an Andy Carroll replica ponytail.

I'm actually more interested in the relegation league...uh, Championship League this season. It seems like anyone can win that title in any given year.*

*Except Leeds United

Posted:   Aug 12, 2013 - 4:09 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

I'm actually more interested in the relegation league...uh, Championship League this season. It seems like anyone can win that title in any given year.*

*Except Leeds United

I know this was just reaction bait, but none the less I'm reacting to it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989%E2%80%9390_Football_League#Final_league_tables_and_results

Scroll down to the "second division" which was what the championship was then known as...

Not saying we'll winit again this year, but unfounded optimism is as much a part of a football fan's armoury as a scarf.

Posted:   Aug 12, 2013 - 5:19 AM   

I know this was just reaction bait, but none the less I'm reacting to it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989%E2%80%9390_Football_League#Final_league_tables_and_results

Scroll down to the "second division" which was what the championship was then known as...

Not saying we'll winit again this year, but unfounded optimism is as much a part of a football fan's armoury as a scarf.

I'd forgotten I'd even "baited that hook"! LOL!

Posted:   Aug 12, 2013 - 10:56 AM   

Bill, you deserve a prize of your own for keeping this thread going. Maybe this year's Liverpool away shirt or an Andy Carroll replica ponytail.

*Except Leeds United

Championship has been a league like that for many years, Jim. Maybe 8 or 9.

Everyone beats everyone else. Anyone who wins this week, loses next week.

Even if you are in the relegation zone, You only have to put on a spurt of about 4 wins to find yourselves in the play-off places!!

Its a competitive league, but its also a pinball football league, the ball zips about and very few players put their foot on the ball. Two touches and give it to the opposition. They take two touches and give it back. Teams are happier closing down a defence in possession and nicking a mistake to create a goal than they are building a move from their own half. Its a league of pressing teams who gamble on mistakes.

Leeds have, I think, as good a chance of anyone of getting in the play-offs. Cant expect miracles when you sell your players that make the difference, and in the last few years, the stand out players have gone to Norwich etc. My tip, despite a possible slow start, for a team who may come strong second half of the season is Millwall.

Yeah Jim, I dont think I want a replica Carroll ponytail or a liverpool shirt.

By the way, Rooney isnt for sale.
Bale isnt for sale.
Suarez isnt for sale. Although he may take legal action. And again next year when he realises Arsenal are shit.

Posted:   Aug 13, 2013 - 1:13 AM   
 By:   Peter Greenhill   (Member)

Last week, we lost my favourite ever player, Dave Wagstaffe who played for Wolves between 1964 and 1976. I saw him play many times and have many happy memories. A winger with skill and pace, he deserved to play for England.

Here's the video that was shown before he was inducted into the Wolves Hall of Fame in January 2013.

Another video showing Dave and goalkeeper Phil Parkes and central defender John McAlle being interviewed at the Hall Of Fame event:

Here's an obituary from The Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/david-wagstaffe-gifted-wolverhampton-flankman-with-a-distinctive-dribbling-style-8756396.html

May he Rest In Peace

Posted:   Aug 13, 2013 - 2:12 AM   

I remember Dave Wagstaff, Peter. Good player.

Kev and Thomas - you pair of bastards!!!! Downing to West Ham???????!!!! You've planned this all along, havent you??? I bet the pair of you brokered the bloody deal!!!

You know that bit in Slap shot where they are announcing the all-star dirty players brought in for the final game (McCracken etc), and the Charlestown Chiefs are listening to the names when they announce the final name.... Oggie Oglethorpe and they all groan and bury their heads in terror??? That's how I felt when I saw the news that wnkr Downing was having a medical!

Posted:   Aug 13, 2013 - 4:37 AM   
 By:   Tall Guy   (Member)

Last week, we lost my favourite ever player, Dave Wagstaffe who played for Wolves between 1964 and 1976. I saw him play many times and have many happy memories. A winger with skill and pace, he deserved to play for England.

My sympathies, Peter. I'm sure I saw him play for Wolves up at Newcastle in the 70s at least once. Doogan was playing at the time, as well - they were a good side but I don't think I ever saw them win up there!

When Billy Bremner died I was living in Hertfordshire, and took a Leeds top to the Arsenal club shop near Finsbury Park to get Bremner's name on the back of it. They gave me an odd look but were happy to take my money!

Chris

Posted:   Aug 13, 2013 - 5:24 AM   

rooney is apparently fit but not for sale.

gareth bale isnt quite fit but has trained with wales. oh but he isnt for sale.

luis suarez has trained with the national squad. which makes a change from his billy no mates training alone in the alley behind liverpools training ground.but he may not be for sale.

meanwhile leeds have failed to sign gordon greer of brighton. whoever he is. germaine greer's dad maybe??

Posted:   Aug 13, 2013 - 1:05 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

I dunno Bill, we pass on 55 million worth of talent to you for the knock-down price of 21 mill
and you're complaining!! Some people are never happy! smile

Posted:   Aug 14, 2013 - 4:58 AM   

well thats one way of looking at it.
equally it could be said you paid way way over the odds in the first place and we'v now paid about the going rate for Carroll and still ovrr the odds for Downing.
he seems to have lost his confidence and sometimes it never comes back.
Wigan next for him if he doesnt make an impression at the hammers.
like we needed another wanky winger on top of the 6 wanky wingers we already have.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2013 - 5:03 AM   

by the way, did i mention Bale, Suarez and Rooney arent for sale?
apparently.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2013 - 11:37 AM   
 By:   mildcigar   (Member)

England [ex World Champions] vs Scotland.

After the WC final this is the most watched match in football.

Everyone loves watching these teams!

Current Score - England (0) 0 Scotland (0) 0