Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 8:36 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

"Plbbbbbbbt! Plbbbbbbbbbbbbbt! Plllbbbbbbbbbbbttt!"

Oh no you didn't, Joshua Cartwright Mitchell! (I don't know your middle name so I made one up)

WTF kind of "acting choice" is that? WTF kind of director would let their actor do that? WTF kind of editor wouldn't cut that out, set it on fire, piss on the ashes, sprinkle them in a pig's mudhole, take a picture of the ashes in the mudhole, set the picture on fire, piss on the ashes......

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 8:42 PM   
 By:   Holly Mitchell   (Member)

"Plbbbbbbbt! Plbbbbbbbbbbbbbt! Plllbbbbbbbbbbbttt!"

Oh no you didn't, Joshua Cartwright Mitchell! (I don't know your middle name so I made one up)

WTF kind of "acting choice" is that? WTF kind of director would let their actor do that? WTF kind of editor wouldn't cut that out, set it on fire, piss on the ashes, sprinkle them in a pig's mudhole, take a picture of the ashes in the mudhole, set the picture on fire, piss on the ashes......

I'm sooo LMAO!!! Oh yes, he did.

And Btw: our 2 year old could spit and spew like Franklin any given day...she had lots of practice last night with peppers, pizza and jason.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 8:43 PM   

I absolutely love Manfredini's work with F-13; it 'tis incredible. Like Carpenter, there is just that unique and distinct sound/theme that captures the scenes with a "tight" yet wild abandonment.

What's cool about his early F13 scores is, it seems most horror films have mostly electronic music (Saw, Halloween, Nightmare, Texas Chainsaw -- not that I'm complaining because I love all of those scores too) but Manfredini really did totally original things with acoustic, organic instruments that really make you sit up and listen. He really did something different, and made it terrifying. That's why I also appreciate the orchestral approach by Young in The Grudge and Hellraiser and by Beltrami in Scream and Debney in I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Manfredini: "What can I do to set this score apart? What hasn't really been done? How can I really challenge audiences' expectations while truly scaring them?" -- that is a brilliant creative mind, and a composer that really cares about what he does and the movies he works on.

Errrr...I downloaded the Friday VII/VIII combo from iTunes several months back, and I really enjoyed "Tina's Theme" and the bare-bones wicked-ass Friday VII opening credits music, but the rest (especially part VIII) was totally forgettable to me and hard to listen to. Maybe I had preconceived Manfredini notions, that's possible. I'll have to give the series a spin, though.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 8:54 PM   

And Btw: our 2 year old could spit and spew like Franklin any given day...she had lots of practice last night with peppers, pizza and jason.

Please note: I'm not making fun of your child whatsoever! I'm sure she's an angel. smile

Narrator:

"The reality show which you are about to see is an account of the tragedy which befell a couple of parents, in particular Holly Mitchell and her invalid husband, Joshua. It is all the more tragic in that they were young. But, had their parents warned them, they could not have expected nor would they have wished to see as much of a whiny and spitting and spewing 2-year-old as they were to see that day. For them an idyllic big happy family became a nightmare. The events of the lil' toddler spitting and spewing and whining were to lead to the discovery of one of the most bizarre and annoying 2-year olds in the annals of American history, Franklin Mitchell.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:02 PM   

What's cool about his early F13 scores is, it seems most horror films have mostly electronic music (Saw, Halloween, Nightmare, Texas Chainsaw -- not that I'm complaining because I love all of those scores too) but Manfredini really did totally original things with acoustic, organic instruments that really make you sit up and listen. He really did something different, and made it terrifying.

Yes, I totally agree. Last eve, we (Joshua and I) were remarking again a/b the emphasis on strings and such vs. percussion, electronics, etc. Truly unique.

That's why I also appreciate the orchestral approach by Young in The Grudge and Hellraiser and by Beltrami in Scream and Debney in I Know What You Did Last Summer.

And even "Drag Me To Hell" by Young -- I was impressed. The film was meh, but Young did a wonderful job with it. Not that I'm surprised...I love the score for Hellraiser too.

Manfredini: "What can I do to set this score apart? What hasn't really been done? How can I really challenge audiences' expectations while truly scaring them?" -- that is a brilliant creative mind, and a composer that really cares about what he does and the movies he works on.

...Yes. And this train of thought is more along the lines of Frizzi, Goblin, Simonette, Morricone (per his Giallos), and etc. (IMO).

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:09 PM   

Please note: I'm not making fun of your child whatsoever! I'm sure she's an angel. smile

Narrator:

"The reality show which you are about to see is an account of the tragedy which befell a couple of parents, in particular Holly Mitchell and her invalid husband, Joshua. It is all the more tragic in that they were young. But, had their parents warned them, they could not have expected nor would they have wished to see as much of a whiny and spitting and spewing 2-year-old as they were to see that day. For them an idyllic big happy family became a nightmare. The events of the lil' toddler spitting and spewing and whining were to lead to the discovery of one of the most bizarre and annoying 2-year olds in the annals of American history, Franklin Mitchell.

It's ALIVE!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071675/

...Oh, I'm sooo crackin' Up!! Now I really need anotha beer...or maybe *a* to-kill-me shot (^_~)

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:10 PM   

Yes, I totally agree. Last eve, we (Joshua and I) were remarking again a/b the emphasis on strings and such vs. percussion, electronics, etc. Truly unique.

You guys are fucking cool. The only person who will sit next to me and comment on the emphasis on strings is my blow-up doll.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:15 PM   

It's ALIVE!

...Oh, I'm sooo crackin' Up!! Now I really need anotha beer...or maybe *a* to-kill-me shot (^_~)

Ooooooh, interesting. The guy who directed that, Larry Cohen, is very diverse. He also wrote Maniac Cop, Cellular, Captivity, Phone Booth, and for NYPD Blue. Jack-of-all-trades. Renaissance Man.

I'll have to check out It's Alive!.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:24 PM   

Oh shit! According to Wikipedia...

"On October 1, 2009, Warner Bros. announced that they plan to release the Friday the 13th sequel on August 13, 2010."

What are we waiting for??? LET'S GO! There probably won't be a line!

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:27 PM   

You guys are fucking cool. The only person who will sit next to me and comment on the emphasis on strings is my blow-up doll.

Hee! Film Score music...well, it lives within its own realm, as does Classical music. Unfortunately, I talk Joshua's ear off at times and it evolves into an open free-for-all. But man, we have some AWESOME conversations...and I love it.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:30 PM   
 By:   PhiladelphiaSon   (Member)

I've never had a desire to see the redo.

As for favorites, I guess I like the first 3, in order. Although, I thought (and still do) that Part 3, in 3D was superb! One of the best 3D films, ever. Right up there with House of Wax and Dial M for Murder. As the films went on, the killings got less vivid, and I felt cheated.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:31 PM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

It's ALIVE!

Ooooooh, interesting. The guy who directed that, Larry Cohen, is very diverse. He also wrote Maniac Cop, Cellular, Captivity, Phone Booth, and for NYPD Blue. Jack-of-all-trades. Renaissance Man.

I'll have to check out It's Alive!.

...sporting a score by no less than the master himself, Bernard freakin' HERRMANN!

Laurie Johnson adapted Herrmann's score for the sequel, IT LIVES AGAIN, which was released on CD by Silva Screen. It's way OOP but WAY worth your hard-earned duckets. http://www.amazon.com/Its-Alive-2-Lives-Again/dp/B000003QQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281846828&sr=1-1

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:32 PM   

Oh shit! According to Wikipedia...

"On October 1, 2009, Warner Bros. announced that they plan to release the Friday the 13th sequel on August 13, 2010."

What are we waiting for??? LET'S GO! There probably won't be a line!

WTH? What DBs...kick down some JASON you corporate crap heads!!!

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:44 PM   

WTH? What DBs...kick down some JASON you corporate crap heads!!!

"Brad Fuller explained that the making of the 2009 remake was a joint effort by Paramount and New Line, who both own portions of the Friday the 13th franchise. With the economy down, both studios are limiting the films that they produce each year, opting for lower risks and higher rewards. As such, films like Friday the 13th Part 2 were put on hold, with the hope that when the economy bounces back that they will move forward with the next installment. Form explained that since neither studio wants to walk away from the production of a sequel and have it perform well without their involvement, thus making them look like "idiots", the chance of having one studio being the primary producing house was rejected."

I understand financial caution...to a degree...I would beg, borrow, and steal to finance a new F13. They won't make the movie because they don't have the money, but they also won't give up the rights so they can save face? Studio executives are the barnacles on the hull of the arts. It's such a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason: they are the bad guys. This is speculative, but it honestly and truly never seems like studio suits are actual movie fans. Just $$$ fans. You'd think things would change over the years, but it still comes down to greedy little bastards, screw the loyal fans. It's true in all the arts. But it's such an obvious crime, it's surprising it's still such a rampant happening. That's my view of it, to be sure.

"Lower risks and higher rewards." Yeah, cause risk has no place in art, it's gotta be about the high rewards! Motherfuckers. I know the reality, they have to make money, but it's obvious that general risk-taking is frowned upon...unless it turns a profit. roll eyes

"Jason, good boy. Now go get those executives and mommy will be pleased. That's it...get them, Jason." Ge-ge-ge, Jay-jay-jay...

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 9:53 PM   

"Jason, good boy. Now go get those executives and mommy will be pleased. That's it...get them, Jason." Ge-ge-ge, Jay-jay-jay...

And now going into some Cipriani to heal the wounds and injustice...

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 10:01 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

By the by- whilst you delve for Stelvio, where is Josh? He's been oddly silent tonight. You didn't kill him, did you?

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 10:13 PM   

By the by- whilst you delve for Stelvio, where is Josh? He's been oddly silent tonight. You didn't kill him, did you?

No, Josh had time to annoy me with his youtube video of Oscar-nominated actor Franklin, the troublemaker. wink (that entire sentence was laced with sarcasm -- you're the tops, Mr. Mitchell, winks all around)

Holly...you, Josh, Paul and I need to have a drink together and let bygones be bygones.

Wink!

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 10:30 PM   

Steven...you DB, I heart you. You need to get your tush out for CC next year.

And with re: to Josh....He's still here..I think he lit a smokie joe and is on the patio.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 10:36 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

Steven...you DB, I heart you. You need to get your tush out for CC next year.

And with re: to Josh....He's still here..I think he lit a smokie joe and is on the patio.

Good for him! Wish I was "there"....

Ah, what is DB?

I feel so ignorant.

Posted:   Aug 14, 2010 - 10:43 PM   

. Ah, what is DB?

I feel so ignorant.

A family member; all though, its meaning can be derived of other origins too...just as is in the means that one uses it.