Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 5:00 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Hardball With Chris Matthews
The Ed Show
All In With Chris Hayes
The Rachel Maddow Show
The Last Word With Lawrence O'Donnell
Up With Steve Kornacki

You damn lib you. wink I make it an effort to watch "Now With Alex Wagner" just because she's a babe.
Edit: funny I just posted this the very second her show came on the air!

Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 5:15 PM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

I use my TV screen solely for watching DVDs and videos. During the digital switchover over a year ago, I decided not to bother and haven't missed broadcast programs at all. For the current shows I do follow like Royal Pains and Person of Interest I simply avoid reading spoilers about them and wait for the season to be released on disc.

I zoomed through all seven seasons of Burn Notice the last two months, and am now re-viewing two 1980s/early 90s favorites Quantum Leap (corny and never quite living up to its promise, but Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are such a pleasure) and Miami Vice (thus my resurrection of the Jan Hammer thread. I'm fascinated by the sleek, sparkling look of this show. The modernist homes glowing at night with colored lights alone keeps me fascinated! But it also holds up as a nifty crime show (pastel-noir?) with an amazing group of actors early in their careers guest-starring (Bruce Willis, John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, Annette Bening, Viggo Mortensen, etc.)

Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 5:22 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

Miami Vice...with an amazing group of actors early in their careers guest-starring (Bruce Willis, John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, Annette Bening, Viggo Mortensen, etc.)

And Bill Paxton! big grin

Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 5:24 PM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

Miami Vice...with an amazing group of actors early in their careers guest-starring (Bruce Willis, John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, Annette Bening, Viggo Mortensen, etc.)

And Bill Paxton! big grin

Indeed. smile

Posted:   Jun 22, 2014 - 8:46 AM   
 By:   TominAtl   (Member)

I'm just gonna throw in what I've recently watched and currently watching together;

BREAKING BAD - quite possibly one of the best written series ever. I'm in the final season on Netflix and am constantly amazed by how they continuously surprise me. Yet, I can only watch 2 episodes back to back because it is so damned dark and twisted. Yes, there are doses of humor but even then it's pitch black. But again, it is ultimately a morality tale and does an incredible job of showing us what "the butterfly effect" really is. Everything that we do somehow will affect someone else. An amazing show and I'm not looking forward to it's ending. *****

FARGO - another amazing American television show, one that after 5 episodes has quite frankly have me believing that it is close to the level of BREAKING BAD. Yes, it's that good. The cast is amazing, the style is very close to the original film and Billy Bob Thornton is as terrifying as he is funny. ****1/2

HANNIBAL - undoubtedly the best filmed show on television, and possibly the most disturbing as well. It also has probably the most gruesome scene ever done on television that had me turning away. It is incredible on how they took the original sources and compile it into a provocative and mesmerizing series. Hannibal, played by the excellent actor Mads Mikkelsen, is actually a close confident and investigator for Special Agent Jack Crawford(Laurence Fishburn) and at first also to special agent Will Graham(Hugh Dancy). The show is diabolical, creepy and slick. And definitely not for the squeamish, though I will say that until the last part of season 2, the vast majority of violence occurs off screen. But showing the end results is gruesome enough. ****1/2

THE AMAZING RACE - my favorite reality competition show period. Lots a fun. ****

GAME OF THRONES - probably my favorite show on television right now and is only on for a frustrating 10 episodes. The show runners expertly weaves a huge canvas of characters and plot and manages to keep it in check. The characters are richly drawn, the photography is major motion picture status, as are the effects, and the story lines are richly plotted. Grand stuff. *****

HOUSE OF CARDS - ranks side by side with BREAKING BAD as one of the best written shows on television and Kevin Spacey is as diabolical in his pursuit for power as any serial killer is for his prey. Nearly on par with HANNIBAL in terms of cinematography, the show is slick and dark as molasses. Makes THE WEST WING look like little house on the prairie. A gothic game of chess is more like it. If you watch both seasons you'll never look at politicians and DC politics the same way again. *****

THE TUDORS - watching season 2 now from Netflix, this Showtime historical drama makes Henry VIII a sexy, young king, horning after that Boleyn girl. The sets and setting comes off a bit cheap at times, it makes up for it with plots and sex and deception and sex, etc. Its not great but it seems to get better with each episode. And with Peter O'Toole playing a less than honorable pope does make one sit up a bit more and take notice. ***

edited

Posted:   Jun 22, 2014 - 10:19 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Fargo- Fantastic cast and production values. A horribly disjointed script. Continued on only for the performances.

Sherlock- The first episode was quite enjoyable though not perfect. Will continue on.

I don't normally have a favorite actor or director, but I really like Martin Freeman's performances as of late.