Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   May 1, 2012 - 12:17 AM   
 By:   filmusicnow   (Member)

It's been stalled for a while, but "The Untouchables" joins the ranks of completed series on DVD on July 24.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Untouchables-Season-4/16873

Why did it take so long? Well, at least I don't have to program my D.V.D.-R. recorder anymore on M.E.T.V. anymore to watch the fourth season episodes (which are not rerun in the order in which they were originally broadcast). Let's just hope that Paramount don't resort to to their usual hijinks regarding the music (though they did have to remove the closing cards at the end of each act in their previous season D.V.D.s because of time limitations).

Posted:   May 1, 2012 - 4:34 AM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

It's been stalled for a while, but "The Untouchables" joins the ranks of completed series on DVD on July 24.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Untouchables-Season-4/16873

Why did it take so long? Well, at least I don't have to program my D.V.D.-R. recorder anymore on M.E.T.V. anymore to watch the fourth season episodes (which are not rerun in the order in which they were originally broadcast). Let's just hope that Paramount don't resort to to their usual hijinks regarding the music (though they did have to remove the closing cards at the end of each act in their previous season D.V.D.s because of time limitations).

I don't get this. What time limitations on DVD? The only "time limitations" reason to remove them would be to make more room for ads on TV. There's plenty of space on the discs to have those and more. No, they removed them for whatever reason they felt was logical, but it was time. I personally hate that decision, they were part of the episodes and the format. They should have stayed.

Posted:   May 3, 2012 - 2:14 PM   
 By:   Sarge   (Member)

After a five-year absence, THE ROOKIES have returned -

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16892

The Rookies - 'Season 2' of this Classic Cop Show is Scheduled for DVD by Shout!

After a Season 1 release back in 2007 by Sony, and nothing since, fans have wondered if they would ever see DVDs of the remaining three seasons for the cop show starring Sam Melville, Georg Stanford Brown, Gerald S. O'Loughlin, Michael Ontkean and future Angel Kate Jackson. Today Amazon.com revealed a pre-order listing, from Shout! Factory, for an August 7th release of The Rookies - Season 2! Priced at $44.99 SRP for a 6-DVD set, you'll get episodes which included many guest stars who were already famous at the time, or went on to become famous: John Saxon, James Sikking, Claude Akins, Victor French, Ford Rainey, John Travolta, Annette O'Toole, Joseph Campanella, Bill Williams, Joan Blondell, Pat Harrington Jr., Ken Swofford, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Glynn Turman, Jim Nabors, Richard Hatch, Marjorie Bennett, Leif Erickson, Sissy Spacek, Nick Nolte, Paul Sorenson, Dane Clark, and Tyne Daly. Wow, what a lineup! Box art and other details aren't available just yet, but stay tuned and we'll keep you updated as soon as we can.

Posted:   May 3, 2012 - 3:54 PM   
 By:   Eric Paddon   (Member)

No indication whether the pilot movie, which had Darren McGavin instead of O'Laughlin, will be included.

Although this is not one of my favorite shows, I am glad to see any stalled show from the "one and done" category get resumed, especially from this period which had the highest level of stalled titles compared to any other period from TV's classic age of 1955-1979.

Posted:   May 15, 2012 - 1:40 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

GUNSMOKE season 6, part 1 due Aug 7, 2012:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Gunsmoke-Season-6-Volume-1/16940

Posted:   May 15, 2012 - 7:14 AM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

I am impatient to get RAWHIDE, season 7* (1964-1965) and season 8** (1965-1966).

* produced by the staff of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
** in full color, with Clint Eastwood as the sole leading man, with fine directors

Posted:   May 15, 2012 - 10:53 AM   

I am impatient to get RAWHIDE, season 7* (1964-1965) and season 8** (1965-1966).

* produced by the staff of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE
** in full color, with Clint Eastwood as the sole leading man, with fine directors

The final season of "Rawhide" was in B&W (as were the previous ones).

Posted:   May 15, 2012 - 3:13 PM   

A little annoying that CBS/Paramount isn't bundling both volumes of S6 of "Gunsmoke" at once but at least this means that the superior half hour version of the show will be complete on DVD! I just felt the pacing wasn't as good at an hour.

Posted:   May 15, 2012 - 7:02 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

A little annoying that CBS/Paramount isn't bundling both volumes of S6 of "Gunsmoke" at once but at least this means that the superior half hour version of the show will be complete on DVD! I just felt the pacing wasn't as good at an hour.

I completely agree.

Posted:   May 15, 2012 - 8:08 PM   
 By:   quiller007   (Member)

No love for VEGA$? The last dvd set - Season 3 / Volume 2
has just been announced as an August 14th release. I can scratch
this series completely from my want list, now that I'll proudly
own all three seasons. Fun show!

Den

Posted:   May 17, 2012 - 3:44 PM   

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bastard-DVDs-Announced/16957

The late 70s miniseries adaptations of the first three novels of John Jakes' "Kent Family Chronicles" series will be coming to DVD on July 31. I remember watching these years ago, and today they're a virtual who's who of 70s TV performers (most with Universal contracts at the time) that make them fascinating to revisit.

Of great interest to "1776" fans is that William Daniels plays Cousin Samuel Adams in the first series "The Bastard" but in "The Rebels" he returns to the role that made him famous, right down to the old "1776" costume itself!

Here's the cover art. William Shatner gets the most prominent billing but he only has a marginal role in "The Bastard" as Paul Revere.

Posted:   May 17, 2012 - 9:43 PM   
 By:   TheSaint   (Member)

All this good stuff coming out, and I'll have to place it all on my wish list as the low-paying job I have leaves very little play money.

Posted:   May 19, 2012 - 1:44 PM   
 By:   Mr. Marshall   (Member)

"A vast wasteleand" indeed
wink
bruce

Posted:   May 19, 2012 - 2:15 PM   
 By:   riotengine   (Member)

All this good stuff coming out, and I'll have to place it all on my wish list as the low-paying job I have leaves very little play money.

I feel your pain. smile

Greg Espinoza

Posted:   May 19, 2012 - 3:32 PM   

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bastard-DVDs-Announced/16957

The late 70s miniseries adaptations of the first three novels of John Jakes' "Kent Family Chronicles" series will be coming to DVD on July 31. I remember watching these years ago, and today they're a virtual who's who of 70s TV performers (most with Universal contracts at the time) that make them fascinating to revisit.

Of great interest to "1776" fans is that William Daniels plays Cousin Samuel Adams in the first series "The Bastard" but in "The Rebels" he returns to the role that made him famous, right down to the old "1776" costume itself!

Here's the cover art. William Shatner gets the most prominent billing but he only has a marginal role in "The Bastard" as Paul Revere.

Originally shown on Operation Prime Time in syndication.

Posted:   May 19, 2012 - 6:42 PM   

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Eric. I was just thinking about these
not long ago and thought I'd have to succumb to searching for off-air
or boot recordings. I particularly remember THE BASTARD with Andrew
Stevens and Olivia Hussey. Great stuff! Ordered! smile

Den

Posted:   May 29, 2012 - 2:24 PM   

We're still a month off from the release of S3 of "Streets Of San Francisco" but in a remarkable case of fast-tracking that I think is unprecedented from CBS/Paramount, S4 will follow on August 28!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Streets-San-Francisco-Season-4/17006

This will bring us to the end of the Michael Douglas era, as Richard Hatch would take over in the final season.

CBS/Paramount also announces the first half of S7 of "Perry Mason" for August 21. This title will eventually be completed, but at this ace don't count on it until probably 2014.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Perry-Mason-Season-7-Volume-1/17007

Posted:   May 29, 2012 - 2:48 PM   

We're still a month off from the release of S3 of "Streets Of San Francisco" but in a remarkable case of fast-tracking that I think is unprecedented from CBS/Paramount, S4 will follow on August 28!

Great! After I purchase seasons 3 and 4, I can finally scratch this series
from my want list once and for all. Now that CBS Paramount have finally
finished this show (sans season 5), VEGAS and THE UNTOUCHABLES,
I hope this means that they are planning on releasing the rest of
BARNABY JONES, CANNON and THE MOD SQUAD.

Den

Posted:   May 30, 2012 - 10:27 AM   

We've unfortunately not seen revisions to the CBS Syndication Bible since January which would offer clues on what's coming next based on which titles are getting more HD remasterings. Among stalled color shows, "Love American Style", "Barnaby Jones" and "Love Boat" are the ones I most want to see resumed ("Love Boat" is a curious case where remastering work has been done on at least four seasons that have not been released!), while for B/W titles that are stalled "One Step Beyond" and the last season of "Have Gun Will Travel" (which has a rare appearance by TV's "Sheena" herself, Irish McCalla) rate highest for me.

"Gunsmoke" is at least continuing, and we know that "Mannix" will be completed, perhaps before year's end.

Posted:   May 30, 2012 - 12:21 PM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

We've unfortunately not seen revisions to the CBS Syndication Bible since January which would offer clues on what's coming next based on which titles are getting more HD remasterings. Among stalled color shows, "Love American Style", "Barnaby Jones" and "Love Boat" are the ones I most want to see resumed ("Love Boat" is a curious case where remastering work has been done on at least four seasons that have not been released!), while for B/W titles that are stalled "One Step Beyond" and the last season of "Have Gun Will Travel" (which has a rare appearance by TV's "Sheena" herself, Irish McCalla) rate highest for me.

"Gunsmoke" is at least continuing, and we know that "Mannix" will be completed, perhaps before year's end.

"Rawhide" continues too, and very slowly. I am only interested in the last two seasons which means I have to wait till 2015.

What about the detective series "Longstreet"? It's only a one season series.