Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 3, 2010 - 2:03 PM   
 By:   mark ford   (Member)

Zombieland (2009) 7/10. Fun horror/comedy zombie romp. Love Bill Murray's cameo. Sometimes all it takes is a twinkie to make a fella happy. It's the little things.

Posted:   Jul 4, 2010 - 2:30 AM   
 By:   mildcigar   (Member)

Last week:

Dawn of the Dead - 8/10
Psycho 10/10
Starcrash 7/10
The Satantic Rites of Dracula 6/10

Posted:   Jul 5, 2010 - 7:41 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

Finally got round to seeing the Smilebox, How The West Was Won. Looked at as just a western it's quite good. What makes it great is the whole Cinerama thing, everything is so big, an amazing cast, one of the best scores ever: a real "event" movie.

After that I fancied something different, so it was Hammer's, The Terror Of The Tongs. It's a long way from a great movie, but I like it a lot. Sony have done a fantastic job with it, that strong Hammer colour, & a sharp picture. It's 525 but it looks better & sharper than most new films look on Blu-ray.

Posted:   Jul 5, 2010 - 2:10 PM   
 By:   Cryogenix   (Member)

Buried Alive (2008) - Everytime I think actors couldn't possibly get any worse, I buy another clunker which proves they can. At first, I thought the acting was only bad (or lacking) because the film started off in home movie fashion from the killer's POV. 15 minutes in, I realized the actors were indeed acting all along and I started fast-forwarding. Even for the "home movie" aspect of their acting they couldn't do it convincingly (simply acting normal and natural.) This is absolutely the worst acting I've ever seen... ever...in the history of filmmaking. Every actor associated with this film should hang their head in shame and never attempt to make a film ever again - .0001.

Semi-Pro (Urated Version) - A typical Ferrell film, but not nearly as funny as his funniest film, which isn't very funny at all. As it stands, the only film of his I like is Elf - 5

USS Poseidon: Phantom Below - The actors kept smiling like they couldn't contain their enthusiasm for finally making a film. Long, boring, pointless dialogue, combined with overly perfect outfits and pretty sets that didn't look realistic. I gave up after 15 minutes and then started fast-forwarding, but it didn't get any better - 3

Patriot Games - Can't believe I've never seen this. Fantastic and gripping from start to finish. I once had this soundtrack and hated it (back then, I bought everything from Horner hoping for another Krull) and I think that's why I never bothered seeing the film - I figured it would be as boring as the score. Not at all. An exciting film with a score that works perfectly. I guess I'll also have to seek out Thunderheart and Clear and Present Danger on DVD - 10

The Descent: Part 2 - I loved the first one, and I like this one. The same formula and approach were used, along with the same score, though all not as effectively as in the original. While the movie had a similar feel, overall it didn't seem quite as eerie or believable. One problem - and a major distraction - was the characters. Some simply didn't have credibility because of their unrealistic actions/reactions to things, particularly the Sheriff's. Without giving anything away, there's no way in hell that even the most idiotic, egotistical, power-mad, insensitive law enforcement officer would ever do what he did. His actions were totally absurd and unrealistic. The females imparting a few sappy elements of backstory made me cringe and was pointless. The film's setups and outcomes were fairly transparent throughout (especially the handcuffs), but there were a couple of twists that were interesting but could've been played out better. My girlfriend and I found ourselves frustrated beyond belief with some of the characters because they'd keep doing stupid things outside of the realm of normal human behavior. It's one thing when a character is about to open a door out of curiosity (that's expected) and the audience is like "don't open it!" - and it's another when they do something totally retarded and you yell at the screen for them to die because the writer's an idiot for making them do that. Fortunately, the stupidities of the writing were spread out fairly consistently, so I had plenty of time to chill and enjoy the film. Seriously, I've never experienced this much frustration with a film before. There's definitely some great, startling shock value for first-time viewers. The film loses all sense of reality and itself towards the end and truly moronic things happen that normally wouldn't. The ending was completely dumb and unsatisfying. For all its shortcomings, it's still a solid film that is far better than most horror flicks in existence - 8

Posted:   Jul 5, 2010 - 6:34 PM   
 By:   mguevarra61   (Member)

Francois Truffaut's "The Last Metro" on Blu Ray. 10/10! Criterion's job is excellent!

Posted:   Jul 6, 2010 - 11:46 AM   
 By:   mark ford   (Member)

Laura (1944) 8.5/10 - Classic David Raksin theme haunts the film. Clifton Webb, Jonathan Harris, separated at birth?!

Posted:   Jul 8, 2010 - 2:04 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

THE MACHINIST (Spain/ USA/ UK 2004): 10/10

Second time around for this cracking great movie. There's more than a touch of early Polanski to it, but it may remind others of things like MEMENTO and even THE FIGHT CLUB. Anyway, I really really loved THE MACHINIST, and MEMENTO, and THE FIGHT CLUB, but I especially love early Polanski. Then I've got all those friends who tell me that all the aforementioned films are mere exercises in style over substance, and they tell me I know nothing about cinema or what makes a good film! But I don't care. I think THE MACHINIST is a truly great mind-fcuk of a movie. AND it's got a score that sounds like THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL! Listen up you crackerbarrels! TEN OUTTA TEN, you hear me?

Posted:   Jul 8, 2010 - 2:20 AM   
 By:   mulan98   (Member)

PREDATORS. A bit tedious IMO. Adrien Brody for Arnold. Who would have thunk?
It does seem to use good parts of the original Silvestri score though. 3

Posted:   Jul 9, 2010 - 8:56 AM   

STRAW DOGS (USA/ UK 1971): 7/10

Jeez, I really have a tough time with Peckinpah films. I've never really liked any. Can't films be bleak, thoughtful AND entertaining? Having said that, STRAW DOGS is one of his that I can watch more than once every ten years. Best for me is the power-play amongst all the characters - nobody really knows what has happened to the others and so they are continually at cross-purposes, sort of like in... real life. Hoffman is terrific, but the overall grotesqueness of the other players veers dangerously close to parody. I laughred when the guy got his head stuck in the bear-trap, for instance. But at least it's all ambiguous enough to make me think, and my one remaining brain cell shall be forever (?) grateful.

Strangely enough, the other films that this reminds me of are WITCHFINDER GENERAL, THE WICKER MAN, THE SHUTTERED ROOM and... DUEL (with Hoffman in the Dennis Weaver "I must prove I'm a man" role).

Posted:   Jul 9, 2010 - 10:51 AM   
 By:   quiller007   (Member)

CRYPT OF DARK SECRETS (1975) 10/10
HORROR RISES FROM THE TOMB (1973) 10/10
THE LORELEY'S GRASP (1974) 10/10
THE NIGHT OF THE SORCERERS (1974) 10/10

Posted:   Jul 9, 2010 - 11:25 AM   

quiller, you're supposed to give a rating out of a maximum of 10. You forgot the first part (you know, 5/10, 8/10, 3/10 etc) and not just say "10", which is a bit like saying you got 100% in an exam just because that's the maximum possible. Do you see? Oh - or maybe you mean that all those films are really that good...

Posted:   Jul 9, 2010 - 2:56 PM   
 By:   mrscott   (Member)

quiller, you're supposed to give a rating out of a maximum of 10. You forgot the first part (you know, 5/10, 8/10, 3/10 etc) and not just say "10", which is a bit like saying you got 100% in an exam just because that's the maximum possible. Do you see? Oh - or maybe you mean that all those films are really that good...

I thought he was talking about the Bo Derek movie but forgot to rate it.

Posted:   Jul 10, 2010 - 1:52 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

In the Cut - 3/10

Okay, I made the mistake of not watching it all through in one sitting: I left the "last act" for a few days and I believe I would have enjoyed the film more had I not done so. But whilst I was beginning to appreciate the on-off relationship of the teacher and the cop I found the storyline exceedingly banal. And it appears that the director, Jane Campion, must have thought so too as she used various visual gimics to try and hide the lack of story. And, yes, the final act is a complete waste, IMHO.

There certainly wasn't any need to include the extra visual detail in the voyeuristic scene ... the tatoo was on his wrist ... smile

Posted:   Jul 10, 2010 - 11:15 AM   
 By:   quiller007   (Member)

Okay, I fixed my ratings (see above). Yes, I meant on a scale from 1 to 10,
I rate those titles 10. I love my 70's Eurohorror drive-in flicks!
Anyway, strange rating system. Everyone rates movies differently, I guess.
Personally I prefer Leonard Maltin's old rating system - Four stars **** to
BOMB. Some folks use 5 stars for the best possible rating.

Den

Posted:   Jul 10, 2010 - 11:54 AM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

Okay, I fixed my ratings (see above). Yes, I meant on a scale from 1 to 10,
I rate those titles 10. I love my 70's Eurohorror drive-in flicks!
Anyway, strange rating system. Everyone rates movies differently, I guess.
Personally I prefer Leonard Maltin's old rating system - Four stars **** to
BOMB. Some folks use 5 stars for the best possible rating.

Den

I agree, the 10 rating system is strange and too difficult for me. I stopped trying to use it after awhile and prefer to use a 5-star rating system instead. Though I do like Maltin's "BOMB" rating. Haha!!

Posted:   Jul 10, 2010 - 8:45 PM   
 By:   mrscott   (Member)

Predators / Rated R for language, violence and monster slobber
A sequel to all the other Predator movies I believe this one takes the series to over a hundred titles to date. Arnold S. is long gone. Now Adrien Brody, Oscar winner and the Village Idiot from the M. Night Shayamalan movie The Village, provides the he-man heroistics. The Predators are again played by either computer generated images or guys in monster suits. This time out AB and some other tough guys and one tough gal end up through the unlikeliest event in movie history on a planet where they are being hunted by the Predators. The P’s can make themselves invisible and see by infrared which is a big advantage if you are hunting humans who can only see normally and hide themselves about as subtly as a forest of Giant Sequoia trees. After the parachute landing from out of nowhere the gang sets off across the planet trying to find a way out of the jungle. The Sun never moves in the sky. Leaves in puddles spin round and round. Eventually they reach an overlook where they see other planets in the sky. They act really surprised and never ever dreamed they could be on another planet thinking they were in some new Violent Theme Park for adults. Meanwhile, the P’s are picking them off one by one. A very novel and new idea which we have seen more times than the number of rice kernels in China. All killings are violent and appear painful. Very much like enduring the script which may have been written by a 4 year old boy on a sugar high. The story plods from location to location (all filmed in Hawaii or Texas) without anything going on except the hunted and in some cases the hunters getting violently murdered. No one can figure out where to go or what to do. Kind of like our current members of Congress. Eventually the story ends up right where you knew it was going to and finishes exactly the way you figure it will end. The little attempts at surprises along the way are about as interesting and surprising as reading the back of a soup can. Vet composer John Debney (recently completed Iron Man II and Old Dogs) does his best to bring excitement and suspense to scenes which are about exciting and suspenseful as an old tube of toothpaste. Let’s hope JD and Adrien Brody find better films to work on in the future. At least this one is now in their past.
Rated 1.5 out of 4.0 gallons of monster slobber.

Posted:   Jul 11, 2010 - 1:53 AM   
 By:   MusicMad   (Member)

Along Came A Spider - 2nd viewing - 3/10

If it wasn't for Morgan Freeman the rating would have been lower! From the truly abysmal opening (how on earth did the JB007 producers pick Lee Tamahori to direct Die Another Day after having seen this? Did he excuse it on the basis that his budget for the sequence was limited ... to $1,000?) to the oh so obvious ending ... including skimming over the huge plot-holes. Do the writers/producers/director ever sit back and ask themselves: does the story make sense?

Posted:   Jul 11, 2010 - 3:39 AM   

That's OK quiller, I really knew what you meant all along.

About the "Outta 10" system - I've always been comfortable with the "5 Maximum" way of things, but all I have to do is think in the old system and multiply by 2. Trouble is, I can't now give anything 9 and a half, for example.

Posted:   Jul 11, 2010 - 7:02 AM   

SCARY MOVIE 4 (USA 2006): 5/10

Man does not live by Fassbinder alone. I was drawn into this telly-screening through inertia, but it kept me watching. I smiled a lot, laughed out loud once, cringed with embarrassment a few times. Much better than I would have thought, I think I might prefer this over STRAW DOGS (although I gave that a 7).

Posted:   Jul 11, 2010 - 7:33 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

It was so hot last night in London, & I fancied seeing something light, so it was, IN LIKE FLINT. What a gloriously daft movie this is, & my favorite Goldsmith score (with so much more music than is on the Varese CD). One of the finest artisic achievments of the last century, 10/10.

The DVD looks so good, I can't see a Blu-ray release looking that much better, but this being Fox, it'll probably never happen anyway.