Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:16 AM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

Oops, went in to edit older post and hit reply. Duh, sorry.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:46 AM   
 By:   gone   (Member)

The Green Zone : (5/10) There was plenty enough material to leverage regarding the falsified 'intel' leading to the Iraq War... turning it into a car chase 'shoot em up' significantly detracts from the interest level. Plus Greengrass's penchant for shaking camera syndrome is a rough watch.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:55 AM   
 By:   mrscott   (Member)

Visioneers (2008) 6/10 - Indy film starring Zach Galafianakis. Starts out as a droll dark comedy, but changes tone as it progresses to something more serious and depressing. Still not sure what to make of it, but Mia Maestro is quite lovely in it.

Length was stretched for many of these BIG 60's films. They were all made to insert an intermission. Agony and the Ecstasy was only a couple of hours but deemed a BIG film so The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint documentary prelude was added to stretch the film. Thank goodness as it produced one of J. Goldsmiths best pieces of music. The intermissions served to make up for the double and triple features in theaters which served to sell lots of popcorn. The new long EPIC films had to have an intermission. They sold popcorn. Lots and lots of popcorn. And soda pop. And candy. I bought my share. And then some. I figure roughly one third of my lifetime earnings has been spent at theater snack bars.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:04 AM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

Visioneers (2008) 6/10 - Indy film starring Zach Galafianakis. Starts out as a droll dark comedy, but changes tone as it progresses to something more serious and depressing. Still not sure what to make of it, but Mia Maestro is quite lovely in it.

Yow...I love Galifianakis' comedy stylings but I thought this movie was terrible and not funny at all. I would probably give it 2/10. Mia Maestro was indeed quite lovely in it, I missed her from the Alias days.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:26 AM   
 By:   TominAtl   (Member)

Salt

A very mediocre film from an otherwise really good director Philip Noyce and starring someone else who is also good in their field Angelina Jolie. Jolie, for all of the attention she and her husband get from the paparazzi, is a fine actress indeed and gives the film as much gravitas as possible, but no amount of great directing and acting can turn a mediocre script into a great film and that is what happened here. And only someone who doesnt see alot of spy thrillers will not guess or figure out the finale before it comes, hell even when the movie starts.

Noyce also goes for the "shakey cam" during the chase scenes, one of which goes on and on and on. In addition, there are too many "no freakin' way" moments of derring do and hair splitting escapes.

The movie is not by the numbers boring like this years "Prince of Persia", but it has been done before and offers nothing new, just a cool film title and an intriguing premise that doesnt really deliver.

Grade C

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:43 AM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

Saw The Hunted just last night. Although it brushes against the Rambo genre I was kept interested (well, it was Friedkin) by Tommy Lee and Del Toro. The fact that it had the stunningly gorgeous Connie Nielsen to even out the 'picture' palette resulted in a hat-trick. With Johnny Cash to conclude the end titles what more can you expect - 9/10.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 11:57 AM   

Saw The Hunted just last night. Although it brushes against the Rambo genre I was kept interested (well, it was Friedkin) by Tommy Lee and Del Toro. The fact that it had the stunningly gorgeous Connie Nielsen to even out the 'picture' palette resulted in a hat-trick. With Johnny Cash to conclude the end titles what more can you expect - 9/10.

I agree, I thought The Hunted was an exceptionally well-made cat-and-mouse game. A more cerebral version of Rambo, focusing this time more on the "Colonel Trautman" role (Tommy Lee Jones), which I thought was sort of an interesting spin on the First Blood idea. I'd say 8/10...and what the hell happened to Connie Nielsen??? Some of the bloodiest, most savage hand-to-hand (knife-to-knife) combat I've seen on film.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 4:00 PM   
 By:   Grecchus   (Member)

DeputyRiley, The Hunted gets higher marks simply because just about every movie I see these days gets slept through. This one I stayed wide awake throughout. Connie Nielsen might have had something to do with that. Hope she can negotiate more screen performances. Whatever she's doing, she gets my vote.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 4:09 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN with Ava Gardener and James Mason. Long, pretentious and
boring.

3/10

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 4:33 PM   

DeputyRiley, The Hunted gets higher marks simply because just about every movie I see these days gets slept through. This one I stayed wide awake throughout. Connie Nielsen might have had something to do with that. Hope she can negotiate more screen performances. Whatever she's doing, she gets my vote.

Have you seen Basic? It's got Connie Nielsen in it and she's quite good...I'd recommend the movie too.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 7:32 PM   

I agree, I thought The Hunted was an exceptionally well-made cat-and-mouse game. A more cerebral version of Rambo, focusing this time more on the "Colonel Trautman" role (Tommy Lee Jones), which I thought was sort of an interesting spin on the First Blood idea. I'd say 8/10...and what the hell happened to Connie Nielsen??? Some of the bloodiest, most savage hand-to-hand (knife-to-knife) combat I've seen on film.

You guys are kidding, right?

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 7:44 PM   
 By:   Storyteller   (Member)

Why would they be joking? It's an excellent film. 8/10 for me.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 7:47 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

Have you seen Basic? It's got Connie Nielsen in it and she's quite good...I'd recommend the movie too.

I was always reluctant to watch The Hunted because of my disliking of Benecio del Toro, but with Tommy Lee Jones and William Friedkin, and you guys comparing it to First Blood, I suppose I should give it a chance.

Basic, however, just left me scratching my head. Haha!! Good cast, but I'd say it was anything but "basic." I remember feeling, by the time the movie was over, I had no idea what was going on. LOL!

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:12 PM   

Why would they be joking? It's an excellent film. 8/10 for me.

Excellent film? You are kidding right. Have you ever seen any other movies or is this it?

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:14 PM   

I was always reluctant to watch The Hunted because of my disliking of Benecio del Toro, but with Tommy Lee Jones and William Friedkin, and you guys comparing it to First Blood, I suppose I should give it a chance.

Basic, however, just left me scratching my head. Haha!! Good cast, but I'd say it was anything but "basic." I remember feeling, by the time the movie was over, I had no idea what was going on. LOL!

Don't listen to them or get really drunk first. This is nothing like First Blood. It is more like Delta Farce. Check that one out.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:27 PM   

Don't listen to them or get really drunk first. This is nothing like First Blood. It is more like Delta Farce. Check that one out.

Check out The Hunted! And contrary to what mrscott would have you believe, you are permitted to have your own opinion and have that opinion respected.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:27 PM   

A few more Hunted facts. Budget $55 million
Gross revenue $45,496,534

Lost almost 10 million at the box office. Nobody wanted to make a sequel and lose 10 million more apparently. Since the GR doesn't all go to the Producers I assume their return on investment was pretty bad.

My review of this film back in 3/03 was very negative. Looks like I wasn't alone. From Wikipedia "The overall critical reaction to the movie was negative. It scored a 33% rating on Rotten Tomatoes out of 140 reviews. Many reviewers noted striking similarities to Rambo. Rolling Stone calling it "Just a Rambo rehash,"[4] while Rex Reed of the New York Observer called it a "Ludicrous, plotless, ho-hum tale of lurid confrontation"

So what was so good about it that I missed?

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 9:36 PM   

Lost almost 10 million at the box office. Nobody wanted to make a sequel and lose 10 million more apparently. Since the GR doesn't all go to the Producers I assume their return on investment was pretty bad.

My review of this film back in 3/03 was very negative. Looks like I wasn't alone. From Wikipedia "The overall critical reaction to the movie was negative. It scored a 33% rating on Rotten Tomatoes out of 140 reviews. Many reviewers noted striking similarities to Rambo. Rolling Stone calling it "Just a Rambo rehash,"[4] while Rex Reed of the New York Observer called it a "Ludicrous, plotless, ho-hum tale of lurid confrontation"

First of all, since when did box office revenue = a good film? What does a sequel have to do with anything?

Also, citing Wikipedia as your source strains your credibility, as if it wasn't already by your dismissive and pointless question "Have you ever seen any other movies or is this it?"

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:03 PM   

First of all, since when did box office revenue = a good film? What does a sequel have to do with anything?

Also, citing Wikipedia as your source strains your credibility, as if it wasn't already by your dismissive and pointless question "Have you ever seen any other movies or is this it?"

Same B.O. figures at IMDB. You got any that reflect otherwise? Quite a few good films made it big at the B.O. Sequels are made even of bad films. See my review above re Salt where I included info on a bad film which spawned a sequel. My dismissive and pointless question challenged you and succeeded. I thought this film was so bad that Director F. should have made a nationwide public apology. I agree with everything Rex Reed said about the movie. So I ask you, one more time, what was so good about it that I missed? If you can name anything I will take another look. Good luck.

Posted:   Jul 25, 2010 - 10:55 PM   

Same B.O. figures at IMDB. You got any that reflect otherwise? Quite a few good films made it big at the B.O. Sequels are made even of bad films. See my review above re Salt where I included info on a bad film which spawned a sequel. My dismissive and pointless question challenged you and succeeded. I thought this film was so bad that Director F. should have made a nationwide public apology. I agree with everything Rex Reed said about the movie. So I ask you, one more time, what was so good about it that I missed? If you can name anything I will take another look. Good luck.

Good luck with what? That was weird. Anyway you're missing the point of having different opinions. I'm not out to change yours nor would I expect you would change mine. If you have the movie already firmly entrenched in your mind as a bad movie then my descriptions of the majestic cinematography, tense score, solid acting, interesting locations, engaging themes, tight direction, and pure enjoyment aren't going to change your mind. I would disagree that your dismissive and pointless question challenged me, in my perspective it was just a strangely unnecessary question with an obvious answer.

Later!

smile