Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 26, 2013 - 9:28 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Every Monday night for about the last fifty years I think, Bill. He puts playing the clarinet only second to writing and directing, in fact it might be just as important to him, seeing as that's the excuse he has when he decides not to go to award shows ("That's my gig night").

Posted:   Jan 26, 2013 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

Do you think Phelps and Sones turn up Mondays and sit front row: "Go on, Woody, never mind that jazz crap, play the main theme to Take the Money and Run!!!"

Posted:   Jan 26, 2013 - 11:13 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

I'm sure Woody would quite happily play the themes from 95% of his other movies!

Posted:   Jan 26, 2013 - 11:27 AM   

Sorry Jim and David, "my jokes grow stale!"

"Get me a fool who is funny!!!"

Posted:   Jan 26, 2013 - 2:51 PM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

La Strada - which Woody ripped off as Sweet and Lowdown

Faces - which Woody ripped off as Husbands and Wives

A Place in the Sun - which Woody ripped off as Match Point

La Dolce Vita - which Woody ripped off as Celebrity

Now About These Women - from which Woody ripped off the notion of jazz playing over slapstick (e.g. Sleeper) and the use of title cards throughout the movie (a la Hannah and Her Sisters)

wink

Posted:   Jan 26, 2013 - 5:41 PM   
 By:   Morricone   (Member)

LOVE AND DEATH
The last of his "early funny ones" but he was already being taken seriously by the public, critics and himself. It was one thing to do take-offs of the Marx Brothers or Chaplin, but Bergman and Tolstoy? Hilarious! He went far away from his comfort zone and triumphed. The list of memorable moments are two long to mention but the empty "void", the idiot's convention and the black sergeant come to mind, "You love mother Russian, dont you?"

Posted:   Jan 27, 2013 - 5:22 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

"With proper medical care, he could last another ten minutes."

Posted:   Jan 27, 2013 - 9:18 AM   

Do you think Phelps and Sones turn up Mondays and sit front row: "Go on, Woody, never mind that jazz crap, play the main theme to Take the Money and Run!!!"

I'm sure that Sones only likes the OST versions whereas I'm more of a jazzy, jammy kind of guy.

"Next on BBC-Two, it's The Graham and Bill Programme, followed by QI with Stephen Fry. Tonight's panelists Sandi Toksvig, Paul Merton, and Ryan Giggs."

Posted:   Jan 27, 2013 - 3:18 PM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

I'm sure that Sones only likes the OST versions whereas I'm more of a jazzy, jammy kind of guy.

I don't like to wear jammys.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2013 - 8:01 AM   

Now About These Women - from which Woody ripped off the notion of jazz playing over slapstick (e.g. Sleeper) and the use of title cards throughout the movie (a la Hannah and Her Sisters)

wink

I'm not defending or denying this, but such an exercise can be applied to any filmmaker, including FSM board idols George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. It's all in the inflection of how one thinks of said filmmakers, I guess.

Posted:   Feb 6, 2013 - 8:41 AM   
 By:   David Sones (Allardyce)   (Member)

How did anti-Woody comments get into this thread? Not allowed!!!!

Posted:   Feb 6, 2013 - 7:23 PM   

How did anti-Woody comments get into this thread? Not allowed!!!!

The day Annie Hall defeated Star Wars for Best Picture is how. big grin

Posted:   Feb 7, 2013 - 10:23 AM   

"Next on BBC-Two, it's The Graham and Bill Programme, followed by QI with Stephen Fry. Tonight's panelists Sandi Toksvig, Paul Merton, and Ryan Giggs."

Datsa fkn funnee, Phelpsmeister!! you aint lost your touch.

Although, a 'Premiership' footballer on QI????? Unlikely.

But wait, hold on, now you mention it, with a slight change to your humourous suggestion it just might work. In fact, I could even pitch the idea to a TV exec I know: The Graham and Bill Show?

Yeah the format is Graham and I get together and anyone who has annoyed us on the forum, we could send Molly.

The Graham and Bill Show??

"I like that...Has a ring of finality to it.

Just keep throwing your feathers mister, before I put you in the hospital...."

ha ha

Posted:   Feb 11, 2013 - 9:18 PM   

Midnight in Paris soundtrack wins a Grammy for "Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media."

Posted:   Feb 22, 2013 - 6:18 AM   

The [Woody Allen] movie Roman Coppola has "seen a million times."

http://wap.npr.org/news/Arts+%26+Life/171576623

Posted:   Feb 22, 2013 - 2:47 PM   
 By:   Mark R. Y.   (Member)

wink

I'm not defending or denying this, but such an exercise can be applied to any filmmaker, including FSM board idols George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. It's all in the inflection of how one thinks of said filmmakers, I guess.

Actually I do enjoy many of Allen's films, but often in his case influence spills over into sheer plagiarism. big grin

Posted:   Apr 21, 2013 - 3:06 PM   

Few artists are this self deprecating:

[reading aloud from Issac's wife's memoir] "He was given to fits of rage, Jewish liberal paranoia, male chauvinism, self-righteous misanthropy, and nihilistic moods of despair. He had complaints about life but never any solutions. He longed to be an artist but balked at the necessary sacrifices. In his most private moments, he spoke of his fear of death, which he elevated to tragic heights when in fact it was mere narcissism."

~Manhattan, 1979

Posted:   May 6, 2013 - 5:20 AM   

Woody's next film, BLUE JASMINE, opens in the United States on July 26, 2013.

Posted:   Jun 4, 2013 - 4:44 PM   

Nice website I just found:

http://www.woodyallenpages.com/

Posted:   Jun 5, 2013 - 6:49 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Well that is life, FANTASY, SCIFI HORROR AND ACTION, Add the B.O tally of those genres in the film industry and what is the percentage you got left.