Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 10:25 AM   
 By:   Yavar Moradi   (Member)

We've been having a seemingly never ending flood of wonderful Goldsmith expansions/remasterings/perfectionist tweakings these past few years...far more than for any other composer. And I'm not complaining; he's my favorite film composer. Lukas completed his work on the first 10 Trek films, by co-producing the excellent complete Star Trek: Nemesis from the end of last year, and on Goldsmith's birthday we also finally got The List of Adrian Messenger. We know that Intrada and LLL have more Goldsmith on their release slate, and each of them just made an announcement (Psycho II complete for Intrada, and Dennis the Menace for LLL). We also know that Kritzerland has at least one more Goldsmith score they're planning to release, and there will be more in the Tadlow/Prometheus series of complete score re-recordings -- perhaps most exciting of all!

HOWEVER...at some point soon the labels are going to run out of Goldsmith scores to "definitiveize"...right? So what's left to grab?

For the moment let's set aside all of the Goldsmith scores Varese released in the 90s, because apparently only they can do those (and frustratingly don't seem to be in any hurry to do so)....so scratch off
Looney Tunes: Back in Action
Timeline
Along Came A Spider
Hollow Man
The Thirteenth Warrior
The Haunting
U.S. Marshals
Small Soldiers
L.A. Confidential (not sure about this since there seem to be other releases besides Varese)
Air Force One
Executive Decision
City Hall
Chain Reaction
Angie
Rudy
Matinee
Malice
The Public Eye
Mr. Baseball
Mom and Dad Save the World
Medicine Man
Love Field
Gremlins 2
Leviathan (1989 so not positive this is unavailable to others for licensing but guessing not)
The Other
The Mephisto Waltz
Planet of the Apes (assuming there are any alternate cues that could be used to expand the existing program)

Yeah, Varese released a ton of Goldsmith which is now off limits...unless one of the other specialty labels somehow works out a deal with them to license stuff. Probably unlikely since they are direct competitors.

That leaves us with:

Soarin' Over California (Disney theme park ride) -- While the 5 minute score for the ride itself has been released on a Disneyland CD, more was recorded including at the very least a lengthy cue for waiting in line outside the ride (beautiful with fewer mood changes in the music as compared with the ride itself). Intrada would be our only hope for this; they have said a number of times that they'd like to put out a CD (or more) of music from Disney park rides (their favorite Bruce Broughton has done a lot).

The Last Castle (Decca --> UMG) -- presumably Intrada (outside chance of LaLaLand) might snag this, and I hope they do as there is some excellent music missing including some more powerful revised film versions of key cues...

The Mummy (Decca --> UMG) -- Intrada come to our rescue, please!

Mulan (Disney) -- if *anyone* can pull this off, it's Intrada. They have done every other Goldsmith/Disney collaboration, so it'd be fantastic if they could close the book on this for people who don't have the Academy promo...and supply some fantastic liner notes while they're at it. I hear Richard Kraft really pushed Goldsmith for this assignment and I suspect there's an interesting tale to be told about how he got the job.

The Ghost and the Darkness (Hollywood Records --> Disney) -- this one really should happen and it's Intrada we have to look towards...Douglass Fake when asked about this specific title confirmed that it was "on their radar".

2 Days in the Valley (Intrada) -- this recently came out as an album assembly and just went out of print. If material exists for the complete score maybe someone else could release a more definitive version, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Powder (Hollywood Records --> Disney) -- yep, would have to be Intrada again, if they can work out a deal for all the Hollywood Records Goldsmith albums that'd be great!

Babe -- The final score by Nigel Westlake (at times channeling Saint-Saens) was released by Varese, so presumably they would have the rights to any recording Goldsmith made for the film. Dan Goldwasser recently posted a photo of Goldsmith's written score but said that it never made it to the recording stage. Other info in this thread however makes it sound possible that it was recorded: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=102554&forumID=1&archive=0 . I hope a definitive answer can be arrived at, because if Dan is right, this would be a ripe opportunity for the Tadlow/Prometheus series to do a true Goldsmith *PREMIERE* recording (ie. not just a premiere album release for a score with film tracks that didn't survive). In fact a totally unheard Goldsmith score may be their ripest prospect yet!

The River Wild (RCA --> Sony) -- Given the pattern of releases at LaLaLand, I think this will be one of theirs (and hopefully they'll include Jarre's rejected score). On the other hand I thought LLL would do the similarly Sony-owned Congo and Intrada just put it out so the same might happen with this.

The Public Eye -- According to Mike Ross-Trevor, Goldsmith recorded a rejected score which had a dark Chinatown vibe. Varese released the score by Mark Isham utilized in the film, so they may control the rights to the rejected score as well, unless there's some loophole (ie. Perseverance was able to release the rejected scores to Chinatown and Edge of Darkness as long as they didn't include the film title on their package).

Six Degrees of Separation (Elektra -- Warner Bros. Records) -- maybe LLL, assuming there's any more music to release (perhaps some alternates or something)?

Basic Instinct (Varese/Prometheus) -- For some reason Varese must not have gotten rights to this in perpetuity, as Prometheus was able to release an expanded version. Not sure how much better this could be done by LLL or Intrada (they'd probably put in the film version of the finale cue that everyone seems to want out--except for Goldsmith himself, who prevented it from being on the Prometheus much as he did for the film version of the finale from The Challenge) but I wager at least the liner notes could be improved.

The Russia House (MCA --> UMG) -- Goldsmith famously already considering this album way too long, but presumably Intrada could give it a sonic upgrade, fill in the few bits of missing score, and get Jeff Bond to write some great liner notes...not a huge priority but I could see another version of this coming out, and there was a recent thread about an excellent runmovies.eu article which lays out the 7-8 minutes of missing music and why it deserves to be released: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=102352&forumID=1&archive=0

Brotherhood of the Gun (a.k.a. Hollister) -- Much like Elmer Bernstein did for his son Peter's excellent score to Rough Riders, Jerry contributed a fantastic theme to this western TV movie scored by his son, Joel Goldsmith. An official version would be nice to have...

H.E.L.P. -- similar to the above; Jerry apparently only contributed a main title theme to this show which was scored by Joel.

Warlock (Intrada) -- not sure how much more score there is but I would guess Intrada would eventually get around to reissuing this...they did Rent-A-Cop complete, after all!

Criminal Law (Varese) -- would anyone want a new version of this? Varese *probably* doesn't retain the rights as it came out in 1988...but perhaps they made an early exception for a Goldsmith score.

Wall Street (rejected) -- a partially recorded (?) rejected score; I wonder how much there is and if Varese retains rights since they put out the Stewart Copeland score. I guess if any of Goldsmith's written music survives it could be used to pad out a Tadlow/Prometheus recording of his rejected score to Babe...

Lionheart (Masters Film Music/Varese) -- I'm almost positive that Robert Townson still owns the rights to this since there's the "Deluxe Edition" on iTunes combining both of the previous volumes. It'd be nice if Varese put this out complete, remastered, in film order (with the repeat taken out) and provide it with good liner notes. I also wouldn't mind a brand new complete re-recording, honestly.

Link -- Intrada put out the most recent version of this, which sold out very fast, but it was just the original album program and I think there's a foot warmer that's longer if someone can finagle an official release

Rambo: First Blood Part II -- Obviously it would be great if Intrada could complete the trilogy of definitive re-issues. There are a few bits missing on the Silva including the orchestral end credits. If the tapes and rights can be figured out I'm sure Intrada will do it, based on comments in the First Blood reissue booklet.

Legend -- How much more music is there missing?
http://www.figmentfly.com/legend/music4.html (link provided to me in this board thread: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=93939&forumID=1&archive=0 )

Supergirl -- I could see LLL or Intrada giving this the "Poltergeist treatment"

The Lonely Guy (MCA --> UMG) -- A unique case; this one's been released on LP and cassette (with only a little bit of Goldsmith, admittedly) but not CD! I'm sure someone will get around to it to plug the hole in people's Goldsmith collections but I'm not sure many people are beating down doors to get this.

Under Fire -- complete score is lost...at least for now. Maybe a rerecording?

The Secret of NIMH -- I don't understand why an expanded version of this isn't out already, honestly. The sound could use an upgrade and there's some great unreleased music!

Raggedy Man -- anything missing? Varese might have first dibs.

Caboblanco -- does someone know for sure if anything is missing from the Prometheus? If so and if tapes survive this could be due for a re-do.

The Swarm -- I could see Intrada/LLL doing a two disc set with the complete score remastered and the original album program on the second disc (since many find it superior)...and fresh notes of course.

The Omen Trilogy -- I wonder if Varese owns the rights to these because of their Deluxe Editions...they've probably got The Final Conflict tied up, at any rate. But perhaps Intrada or LLL could do improved versions of the first two scores (the first was missing some music; not sure about the second but the sound could probably be improved a bit). Still, the DEs are excellent so these aren't a high priority.

Twilight's Last Gleaming -- I can see this getting a remastered reissue but apparently only a little music is missing.

MacArthur (MCA --> UMG) -- Intrada would be most likely to reissue/expand this. I think the LP was a re-recording.

High Velocity -- I LOVE this unheralded gem! Joel Goldsmith produced the album for Prometheus in the 90s, and frankly it *feels* like there's music missing but I've never bothered to watch the film -- can anyone say for sure? And I wonder if any extra music survives...

Damnation Alley -- Until someone either finds or re-records the missing synth parts, this will almost certainly remain unreleased. If the former occurs, this'll probably come out on Varese.

The Reincarnation of Peter Proud -- I feel sure that either Varese or Intrada will put this one out some day. The question is will they have the best sources. There is a boot but here's what Doug Fake had to say about it back in 2005: "While poor cassette dubs and CDRs abound, true master elements for the majority of this score remain missing. Though a license can probably be negotiated for the album rights, the recording sessions were done here. So AFM fees also still apply, if the actual session masters can be located. There were separate orchestral sessions, piano sessions and electronic sessions. Where everything ended up is a mystery. We've found a small part of them but that's it so far. We'll keep our eyes peeled..."

Ransom -- Presumably the complete score is lost and the LP tracks as released by Prometheus are all that's available. Not sure if there's a ton of interest in a complete re-recording of this one, but it IS a favorite of Luc's (@ Prometheus) and since he's funding Tadlow recordings now we might see it.

Medical Story -- was the whole of Goldsmith's contribution included on the Prometheus Police Story release?

Did Goldsmith actually write anything for Archer or Adam of Eagle Lake, or is it just an IMDb/Soundtrack Collector goof?

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn -- was the 16 minutes on the Varese Fox Box the complete score?

S*P*Y*S -- while a substantial suite was included on the Fox Box, this would make a great standalone reissue with any remaining salvageable music, plus John Scott's score for the international version. Since Intrada recently put out definitive versions of Shock Treatment and Fate Is the Hunter from the box, perhaps they are the most likely candidate, though I could see LLL taking a chance on this as well.

Indict and Convict -- anyone familiar with this?

Chinatown -- after Varese sells out on their current run of 3000 I suspect one of our other fine labels will actually provide a definitive version.

Shamus -- this has been suggested for the new Tadlow/Prometheus Goldsmith series in this thread and others, which is probably the best chance for this score's release because Lukas said the following a couple years ago in his comments for FSM's The Last Run release when he went through with his reminiscences for all the remaining FSM catalogue: "I love this era of Goldsmith's 'mod' writing--'Border Crossing' from The Last Run is a prime example. Unfortunately two of the better scores in this style, Shamus and the ABC TV movie Pursuit, are kaput as far as master tapes." If somehow original tapes are discovered I suspect Intrada will put them out.

Papillion -- I'm hoping to get a truly complete release from Intrada with great liner notes.

The Don Is Dead -- obscure but if the tapes survive I'm sure it'll come out.

Barnaby Jones -- some tapes are rumored to survive.

The Waltons -- apparently none of this material survives aside from the Walton pilot which FSM released. frown

Pursuit -- totally unreleased save for one track re-recorded by Silva. Perhaps that bodes well for Mr. Fitzpatrick tackling the rest of the score in a Tadlow re-recording for Prometheus? As noted above for Shamus, the tapes are apparently "kaput" so there would be no competition with an original tracks release and this would make a nice pairing with Shamus. Oh, and if anyone is worried about a re-recording being unable to capture the 70s feel of the originals, Mr. Fitzpatrick has said that wouldn't be a problem. Based on the results of the Hour of the Gun pop theme arrangement, I'm inclined to believe him. And replicating the synthesizers on The Salamander was perfectly well done.

The Man -- now that Paramount has opened up I'm surprised we haven't seen this; again, perhaps the tapes haven't been located yet.

Anna and the King -- while 16 minutes were included on the Varese Fox Box, they were from three episodes and that fact combined with some comments in the liner notes make me suspect Goldsmith recorded more for this series, which hopefully will be released complete in the future...my money's on Intrada pairing it with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

The Last Run -- won't happen except as a re-recording; according to Lukas himself the tapes are definitely lost

Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate / Crawlspace -- any idea if these tapes survive?

The Ballad of Cable Hogue -- I've heard the Varese Club release is missing a few cues; if so I would expect Intrada to revisit this at some point.

The Chairman -- supposedly the complete score hasn't survived the ages...but this is strongly rumored to be next up for a re-do in Tadlow/Prometheus's new complete Goldsmith scores series. Perhaps since a mono suite was available on the Fox box from a tape source (as opposed to the stereo LP used as a CD master for Prometheus' reissue), including a minute of extra music not on the album, there is some slim hope that perhaps with new technology a mono source for the complete score might be used for release.

Our Man Flint / In Like Flint -- the Varese release was not complete and according to the folks at Intrada, Varese keep the rights to the original film recordings but the two LP recordings are still owned by UMG and Doug or Roger said Intrada will be putting those out eventually. Hopefully Varese will follow suit with the film recordings, but if they don't at least we have the complete scores preserved, isolated on Twilight Time Blu-rays.

The Trouble With Angels -- Hope one of our labels isn't turned off by the Harkit release and tackles this little gem. The existing album is from the LP program which was either in whole or in large part a re-recording -- this could certainly use remastering as well, and would hopefully be paired with a complete release of the original film recording.

In Harm's Way -- when Intrada reissued this they said they searched at Paramount but could find no other score material beyond the existing album. As we all know this could change in the future.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea: Jonah and the Whale -- GNP released this (incomplete) and may still own the rights in perpetuity. Perhaps Lukas will get around to helping them with this after he's done assisting them with expanded Star Trek scores.

Take Her, She's Mine -- not sure how many would be interested but if tapes turn out to survive (Varese claimed they were unsalvageable in their Fox Box notes) I'd buy it!

Lilies of the Field -- is there anything else that isn't on the album recently reissued by Perseverance?

Crime Busters, Catch it on the Wing, The Best Years, The People Next Door, The Expendables -- Anyone know anything about these from the early 60s? They show up on Soundtrack Collector but I've never heard of them.

Freud -- while expanded, apparently Varese's "Deluxe Edition" is still missing some Goldsmith cues (plus there was electronic score written for the film by another composer)

The General With the Cockeyed Id -- anyone know the status of tapes on this? I know it's been booted and there's a rare LP promo.

Black Patch/Face of a Fugitive -- his first and third feature scores, both westerns (a genre he excelled in); would make a great double header as a re-recording, since I suspect the original tracks no longer survive. But you never know...they might be in somebody's closet. Doug Fake after all saved City of Fear and Studs Lonigan!

And now we finally come to all the great TV work he did in the 50s (I think most of his 60s/70s episodic TV work has been released; please correct me if I'm wrong). My hope for this was actually Prometheus, because of their wonderful early Jerry Goldsmith television scores release, tantalizingly labeled "Volume One"...but they don't seem to be doing anything besides re-recordings these days so I wonder if someone else will pick up the slack and save more Goldsmith TV gems?

As you can see as I go further and further back it's a lot more up in the air about what even survives to release. Also, usually if Intrada, FSM, or LaLaLand put out a release, we can assume it's the complete score. Not so with Varese or sometimes, Prometheus. So some of you will have to fill me in on whether there's any point in including some of the titles in this list. I will modify it based on your feedback.

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 10:39 AM   
 By:   Tobias   (Member)

Criminal Law (Varese 1988), Wall Street (Varese 1987) -- would anyone want a new version of these?

I know that not many people like his synth score to Criminal Law and therefore might not be a market for doing a expansion for this one. However the second title is a little bit strange that you did include.

Since Jerry did (apparently) not score this one. Stewart Copeland did. I do know that JG was supposed to score it but I think it was here on this board that I read that JG walked out on this project because he could not get a long with Oliver Stone. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 10:40 AM   
 By:   Bond1965   (Member)

I know this is sacrilege but I would love it if some OTHER composers' works were release and/or expanded. I love Jerry Goldsmith as much as the next guy, but there are other scores worth having released out there.

James

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 10:48 AM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

I know this is sacrilege but I would love it if some OTHER composers' works were release and/or expanded. I love Jerry Goldsmith as much as the next guy, but there are other scores worth having released out there.

I of course completely agree but there's nothing wrong with this thread as it stands. No reason to come in here and poo poo it, especially given the very obvious focus of the discussion and the clear title.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 10:54 AM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

The Mummy

The Mummy was actually released by Decca, not Varese.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 11:01 AM   
 By:   CinemaScope   (Member)

More sacrilege, being honest I only really love 60's Goldsmith. I'm hoping for an expanded Our Man Flint/In Like Flint, & Sebestian, & I would have loved an expanded In Harm's Way, but I'm sure if the tapes were there, then Intrada would have released it.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 11:08 AM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

I think 2 Days in the Valley is complete (or almost all there). This was a film that features a whole bunch of songs so a 40 minute score makes sense for this one.

Same with Six Degrees of Separation.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 11:38 AM   

The Mummy

The Mummy was actually released by Decca, not Varese.

Well then somebody better get on it! smile

Corrected.

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 11:39 AM   
 By:   Redokt64   (Member)

Right now the only one I have in mind... Star Trek Insurrection. I am sure it is in the works, but all of the Star Trek love over the last couple of years has this at the top of the list. Plus, I just watched the film about a week ago. Really has grown on me over the years, and the score is both very beautiful and extremely exciting.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 12:54 PM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

"Chinatown": oddly enough, Varèse re-released the album but not the original recording.
"The Chairman"
"Hour of the Gun"
"The Last Run"

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 1:05 PM   
 By:   John W   (Member)

I'm definitely hoping that an expanded score for "The Ghost and the Darkness" isn't too far off. smile

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 1:10 PM   
 By:   Tom Guernsey   (Member)

Fierce Creatures (don't think there's anything else left to release, anyway)
Yavar

Lacking enough time to process the rest, I am 99% sure that Goldsmith wrote *extra* music for the soundtrack album so that it got to 30 minutes for Fierce Creatures. Therefore, think we can cross this one off as complete!

Of the rest mentioned, Mulan would definitely get my vote. I have a clear memory of getting the original album while either moving in or (more likely) out of uni accommodation and thinking it was quite disappointing. Then I heard the Academy promo and realised it was astounding. Hopefully Intrada would get the rights to that one, as noted.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 1:14 PM   
 By:   Jameson281   (Member)

REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD--I thought some people on this forum have declared this score lost?

TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING--I'm fairly sure the existing CD is complete

HOOSIERS--Wasn't this also declared lost?

LINK--Again, I believe Intrada said the session masters are lost when they put out their CD. Not much missing anyway.

CRIMINAL LAW--I think the existing CD is complete

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 1:38 PM   
 By:   Maleficio   (Member)

2 Days in the Valley (Intrada) -- this recently came out as an album assembly. If material exists for the complete score maybe someone else could release a more definitive version, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The extremely recent Intrada release is definitive. End of story.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 2:17 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

"TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING--I'm fairly sure the existing CD is complete"
-------------------------------------
I've said it before, but I'll say it again.
The CD release is missing a 20 second coda that comes in after the End Title song fades out.
It could not be located when Silva released the CD and considering Joel Goldsmith was involved in the search, I imagine it won't be found anytime soon frown
You may think "Ha, 20 seconds...who cares!?", but it might just be the GREATEST 20 SECONDS OF MUSIC JERRY EVER WROTE!!! Seriously.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 2:19 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

The Secret of NIMH -- I don't understand why an expanded version of this isn't out already, honestly. The sound could use an upgrade and there's some great unreleased music!

I'm baffled by this as well. None of the labels even comment on its "availability". But considering STTMP only received the royal treatment in 2012, I wont count out an expanded edition just yet.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 2:20 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Caboblanco and Breakout are complete, to the best of my knowledge from watching & taping the music years ago and buying the CD's to compare.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 2:39 PM   
 By:   peterproud   (Member)

Sadly, more than a few people have stated that The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud tapes have not been found, but I still hold out hope big grin big grin big grin

Another title I would LOVE to see get its own release (remastered and including the music not on the Varese release) - is The Other. It's one of Goldsmith's best from the early 70's and the sound could definitely be improved upon.

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 4:40 PM   

"Chinatown": oddly enough, Varèse re-released the album but not the original recording.
"The Chairman"
"Hour of the Gun"
"The Last Run"

I haven't gotten back that far but yes Chinatown still needs to be done right, and the way MV and Bruce were talking it sounded like the tapes *did* exist...and I know the rejected score survives too.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure The Chairman is lost (unless there's some M&E track or up-and-down mix or something). Doug Fake has confirmed on the Intrada board that Hour of the Gun is an album re-recording and the complete score (which has a lot of unreleased highlights) is sadly lost.

And Lukas on this very board has explained that the complete score for The Last Run is lost.

REINCARNATION OF PETER PROUD--I thought some people on this forum have declared this score lost?

TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING--I'm fairly sure the existing CD is complete

HOOSIERS--Wasn't this also declared lost?

LINK--Again, I believe Intrada said the session masters are lost when they put out their CD. Not much missing anyway.

CRIMINAL LAW--I think the existing CD is complete

I put Link and Peter Proud on the list because complete foot warmers are purported to exist (but I don't have them myself so I can't confirm for sure).

Hoosiers Intrada has actually confirmed they're working on.

The extremely recent Intrada release is definitive. End of story.

You may consider it definitive, but it isn't complete or chronological apparently.

Caboblanco and Breakout are complete, to the best of my knowledge from watching & taping the music years ago and buying the CD's to compare.

Thanks for the tips -- those didn't feel incomplete to me when listening, but High Velocity did, so here's hoping there's more of that to come!

Yavar

Posted:   Jul 29, 2012 - 4:56 PM   
 By:   (Member)   (Member)

"Seven Days in May" (rejected score and accepted score: David Amram and Jerry Goldsmith)
"Shock Treatment"
"Shamus"