Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Aug 4, 2013 - 4:37 PM   
 By:   stanatstationnj   (Member)

I've noticed that most of my recent soundtrack purchases have been produced by Quartet. Particularly their 60's and 70's titles.
Does this mean that Quartet is now the most interesting soundtrack label at work?
Discuss.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2013 - 4:57 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

Seriously? Um, that may mean Quartet is the most interesting label right now to YOU, but only you would be able to decide that for certain because, well, what is or isn't of interest to someone is entirely up to the individual.

For example, LLL is the most interesting label to me because they release the most scores that I'm interested in. But I certainly wouldn't use my own film score preferences to somehow deem a label the most interesting label in the world.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2013 - 5:06 PM   
 By:   stanatstationnj   (Member)

Seriously? Um, that may mean Quartet is the most interesting label right now to YOU, but only you would be able to decide that for certain because, well, what is or isn't of interest to someone is entirely up to the individual.

For example, LLL is the most interesting label to me because they release the most scores that I'm interested in. But I certainly wouldn't use my own film score preferences to somehow deem a label the most interesting label in the world.

No, not seriously at all. Really, very tongue in cheek. I hope the question generates discussion about what labels are currently producing and what, as a community, we would like to see them produce.
Stan

Posted:   Aug 4, 2013 - 5:34 PM   
 By:   Tango Urilla   (Member)

Haha, alright. I'd wondered if it might have been a joke, but the lack of a winking emoticon threw me for a loop.

Posted:   Aug 4, 2013 - 11:10 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

I think it is great that they have been getting some successful titles. Not all of what they put out interests me but it seems there are enough who are highly anticipating some of them so it's great.

Posted:   Aug 5, 2013 - 2:01 AM   
 By:   serifiot   (Member)

What I like about Quartet, apart from their top notch quality input on every soundtrack release, is their broader spectrum of film music releases and perhaps wider representation of composers (sometimes less known) from both continents, compared to other labels.

Overall, Quartet is sublime. Being fairly new to the soundtrack scene, they have released some very, VERY interesting and beautiful film music, and a lot of it for the first time. Very impressive.

Just take a close look at their catalogue...

http://www.quartetrecords.com/catalogue.html?dir=desc&order=position

PS... And yes, I love those 60's and 70's releases!

Posted:   Aug 5, 2013 - 2:33 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

I'm glad they've come onto the scene as they've been releasing some relatively obscure wish list titles as well as great current titles and have tackled a broad range of composers and genres so far. I also love the care that goes into their releases and which definitely shows in sound quality, booklet, design, ... To me they are definitely up there with La-La Land and Intrada.

Posted:   Aug 5, 2013 - 6:31 AM   
 By:   cody1949   (Member)

Their connection with Paramount puts them up there with the "big boys", Intrada,Kritzerland,and Lalaland.

Posted:   Aug 7, 2013 - 11:53 AM   
 By:   First Breath   (Member)

I just bought my first Quartet title, Castaway/Mona Lisa.

They are not Varese or LaLaLand just yet...

Posted:   Aug 7, 2013 - 12:12 PM   
 By:   jedizim   (Member)

I own exactly TWO of their releases...with one or two more I wouldn't mind having.

Posted:   Aug 7, 2013 - 12:13 PM   
 By:   Kim Tong   (Member)

They are not Varese, Intrada or La La land yet and probably will not come even close, but they have been well represented in my latest purchases. Intrada and LLL have taken most of my money so far this year with Varese (8) next, then Quartet (6), then Perseverence (2) and then Kritzerland (1). Kamen, Silvestri and Delerue are must purchases for me.

Kim Tong

Posted:   Aug 7, 2013 - 1:29 PM   
 By:   serifiot   (Member)

They are not Varese, Intrada or La La land yet and probably will not come even close, but they have been well represented in my latest purchases. Intrada and LLL have taken most of my money so far this year with Varese (8) next, then Quartet (6), then Perseverence (2) and then Kritzerland (1). Kamen, Silvestri and Delerue are must purchases for me.

Kim Tong

There are numerous soundtrack labels out there worthy of praise and not only U.S. labels. Favoring labels I guess depends on one's listening preferences but it is a good thing to broaden listening horizons. Film score music is wordly. It doesn't come from one place. And as far as comparing to Varese, well Varese is in its own universe, by itself. They are king as far as longevity and output... on the American side of film score releases. Yet again, quantity is not always quality.

...probably will not come even close? Close to what? Why would Quartet want to be like any of those labels mentioned??? They are who they are. They have released titles other labels have not. And of course vice verca is true.

Posted:   Aug 7, 2013 - 2:27 PM   
 By:   humster   (Member)

Most of my recent purchases have been from Quartet: Fear; Castaway/Mona Lisa; Pope of Greenwich Village; Crazy People; Man, Woman & Child. It just seems that at the moment they're releasing all the scores I've been waiting for! Hint: Michael Small's Dream Lover and Thomas Newman's Deceived, please!

Posted:   Aug 8, 2013 - 9:11 AM   

[There are numerous soundtrack labels out there worthy of praise and not only U.S. labels. Favoring labels I guess depends on one's listening preferences but it is a good thing to broaden listening horizons. Film score music is wordly. It doesn't come from one place. And as far as comparing to Varese, well Varese is in its own universe, by itself. They are king as far as longevity and output... on the American side of film score releases. Yet again, quantity is not always quality.

Yes, there are other labels out there worthy of praise, but I can not support them if they do not release music I enjoy. I have tried to broaden my listening horizons many times (since most of today composers do not impress me at all), I look here and other sites and when posters recommend a release, I listen to the sound clips and sometimes ordering the release. I end up listening to it a few times, then place it in a box labeled eBay only to get half of what I paid for it back. Why? That box right now has about 50 CDs in it, that is about $1250.00 (with shipping) just setting there! This is one of the main reasons why I do not want to chance it anymore and only purchase the scores that I know I will listen to more than once.

Kim Tong

Posted:   Aug 8, 2013 - 9:13 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

[There are numerous soundtrack labels out there worthy of praise and not only U.S. labels. Favoring labels I guess depends on one's listening preferences but it is a good thing to broaden listening horizons. Film score music is wordly. It doesn't come from one place. And as far as comparing to Varese, well Varese is in its own universe, by itself. They are king as far as longevity and output... on the American side of film score releases. Yet again, quantity is not always quality.

Yes, there are other labels out there worthy of praise, but I can not support them if they do not release music I enjoy. I have tried to broaden my listening horizons many times (since most of today composers do not impress me at all), reading here and other site when posters recommend a release, listen to the sound clips and sometimes ordering the release. I listening to it a few times, then place it in a box labeled eBay only to get half of what I paid for it back. Why? That box right now has about 50 CDs in it, that is about $1250.00 (with shipping) just setting there! This is one of the main reasons why I do not want to chance it anymore and support the labels that release the scores that I know I will listen to more than once.

Kim Tong

Instead of just doing eBay, try a trading post thread offering at prices higher than you might get on some eBay auction, and offer trading -- where you can ask for something you want in exchange for something you don't want that's just sitting there.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2013 - 9:21 AM   

I watch the Trading Post here all the time to see if people are looking for a certain title which I have, but they only want to trade and what they have trade I already have or do not want. Many people want something for nothing once a CD is opened and considered "used" but still MINT. When you are offered $4 for a score pressed at 1000 that is lossing money.

Kim Tong

Posted:   Aug 8, 2013 - 9:30 AM   
 By:   Justin Boggan   (Member)

Half the people don't actually post what they want or what they are offering. You won't really know until you make the post, plus, you dont' have to accept an offer. Just saying, 'cause eBay charges listing fees, then PayPal -- if you use that -- reems you.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2013 - 9:57 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

Quartet has been on my radar as of late. Ive picked up a few from them this year. I think it's great we have so many labels with so much diversity. The more the better.

Posted:   Aug 8, 2013 - 1:01 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

They"ve been releasing so many unexpected scores of late and not so late. Some of my favorite recordings come from their catalog.

Some recent purchases:

CROSSPLOT - Stanley Black;
DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK? - Pino Donaggio;
PASSION - Pino Donaggio;
THE GAMBLER - Jerry Fielding;
CRUSOE - Michael Kamen;
MONA LISA - Michael Kamen;
FEAR - Henry Mancini;
RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER - Henry Mancini;
SANTA CLAUS: THE MOVIE - Henry Mancini;
SUNLOWER - Henry Mancini;
FATTY DI FOIE GRAS - Ennio Morricone;
WOMAN TIMES SEVEN - Riz Ortolani...

Not to mention a ton of other titles....

Great work guys!

Posted:   Aug 8, 2013 - 1:06 PM   
 By:   Urs Lesse   (Member)

FATTY DI FOIE GRAS - Ennio Morricone;

Not to mention a ton of other titles....

Great work guys!

I fully share your enthusiasm for Quartet's releases…
…but how did you create that title? big grin

P.S.: I just love FATTI DI GENTE PERBENE!