Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Aug 25, 2013 - 12:38 PM   
 By:   Sirusjr   (Member)

This score came out of nowhere for me and really impressed me. Multiple themes, quiet emotional passages, big choral music and everything in between. It makes me wonder what Gabriel Yared wrote to get rejected because this is one of the best scores I've heard from hollywood this year.

1 Clary Theme
2 City of Bones
3 Your Secret Is Safe
4 The Clave's Curse
5 Pretty Far from Brooklyn
6 Close the Dome
7 The Mortal Cup
8 The Angel Rune
9 Madame Dorothea
10 Magnus Bane
11 Demon Doll
12 Where's the Cup
13 You're a Morgenstern
14 J.C.
15 She's Not a Mundane
16 Valentine
17 Midnight in the Garden
18 Vampires vs. Werewolves

The score album is out on Milan Records. Last time i checked, I can't find the CD on Amazon but the score is available digitally on iTunes, Amazon and Google Play.

Posted:   Aug 25, 2013 - 1:03 PM   
 By:   Maleficio   (Member)

I don't think Yared wrote anything; he probably saw a rough cut of the film and subsequently decided he wanted nothing do with the film.

Posted:   Aug 25, 2013 - 4:11 PM   
 By:   Ray Worley   (Member)

I'm looking forward to checking this one out. I'm waiting for the physical CD though...no digital downloads for me.
Atli Orvarsson is the only composer out of Hans Zimmer's MV group that I've really taken a liking to. There have been others who have written an isolated good score or two, but Orvarsson is consistantly good and manages to avoid sounding just like Zimmer.

I really love THE EAGLE and THE FOURTH KIND. Two very different scores, one for a really good movie and one for an utter crap one, but both excellent listening.

Posted:   Aug 25, 2013 - 4:27 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

I'm looking forward to checking this one out. I'm waiting for the physical CD though...no digital downloads for me.

Hmm. My copy of the physical CD arrived about a week ago, so I hope they don't keep you waiting too long!

I've listened to this a couple times, and it's not year's best material for me but it's easy enough to listen to. Certainly worlds better than Örvarsson's earlier fantasy effort this year!

Posted:   Aug 26, 2013 - 8:09 AM   
 By:   maximus_rh   (Member)

Wow! Bought this album this morning after reading sirusjr's glowing recommendation and I'm with him, this is really vital, memorable stuff! I became a fan of Orvarsson after really enjoying his trashy fun score to Hansel & Gretel, but this is by far his best work yet!

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 12:05 PM   
 By:   jedizim   (Member)

Just got this in the mail today. Giving it my first listen to right now. I saw the movie with my daughter over the weekend, she loved it and I enjoyed it too. The music worked really well in the movie and sounded great!

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 12:07 PM   
 By:   Ado   (Member)

Just got this in the mail today. Giving it my first listen to right now. I saw the movie with my daughter over the weekend, she loved it and I enjoyed it too. The music worked really well in the movie and sounded great!

Wonder, why is this film doing so badly?

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 12:44 PM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

http://www.etonline.com/movies/137432_Behind_the_Music_of_Mortal_Instruments/index.html

Posted:   Aug 28, 2013 - 2:32 PM   
 By:   eggerty31   (Member)

Well... based on your recommendations I've ordered this CD so it better be good wink. Not released in the UK for another week or so, so I still have a while to wait to find out...

Posted:   Aug 29, 2013 - 8:43 AM   
 By:   Kim Tong   (Member)

Atli Orvarsson is the only composer out of Hans Zimmer's MV group that I've really taken a liking to. There have been others who have written an isolated good score or two, but Orvarsson is consistantly good and manages to avoid sounding just like Zimmer.

I really love THE EAGLE and THE FOURTH KIND. Two very different scores, one for a really good movie and one for an utter crap one, but both excellent listening.

I ordered this CD today. You say you really love THE FOURTH KIND, what am I missing. I have all of his scores that are available on CD and THE FOURTH KIND is his weakest score. I agree with you that Orvarsson does not sound like Zimmer, which is a good thing, but I just can not listen to THE FOURTH KIND.

Kim Tong

Posted:   Aug 29, 2013 - 10:38 AM   

I'm glad to see some people gave this one a shot. Please post your thoughts after you listen.

Posted:   Aug 29, 2013 - 11:03 AM   
 By:   jedizim   (Member)

I have given it two listens so far...and it is really good. Like I said, I enjoyed it in the movie when I saw it...and I am enjoying it outside of the movie as well. Good stuff!!

Posted:   Sep 4, 2013 - 9:36 PM   
 By:   Jon Broxton   (Member)

My review of THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS: CITY OF BONES, for anyone who is interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2013/09/04/the-mortal-instruments-city-of-bones-atli-orvarsson/

Jon

Posted:   Sep 4, 2013 - 11:01 PM   

Great review smile It is interesting to read a bit more detail about the score that I would have hoped to get from liner notes.

Some people were suggesting elsewhere that this was a sampled choir. Does anyone know if the choral music was recorded live?

Posted:   Sep 5, 2013 - 12:51 AM   
 By:   Jon Broxton   (Member)

It's live. It was performed by Metro Voices and the Tiffin School Boys Choir in London, plus two vocal soloists, one of whom is Atli's sister.