Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Mar 29, 2014 - 8:06 PM   
 By:   philiperic   (Member)

On youtube , you can find under "tyrone power solomon"an approximately six minute montage of actual scenes and stills from his performance in SOLOMON AND SHEBA.

Not just scenes and stills but a photo of Power on the floor during his heart attack being attended by film crew. Anyone viewing the video who has any sort of emotional connection to Power should be aware of that.

As for the clips, they seem to me of a higher quality than anything currently in the film. Is it the acting, or was the script revised? Or did the director simply lose heart after Power's demise?

I dont think that those photos of Power on the ground are from the scene he was filming when he had the fatal attack --
That scene was Solomon's final sword fight with Adonijah and his costume is quite different. You can see Power, Sanders and Lollobrigida in one b/w photo standing between takes as they get ready to stage that fight - it is also outdoors. The stills of Power on the floor look like the (indoor)scene where S&S are attacked by Josiah, Adonijah's cohort , and another man and Solomon has to fight them off.

Before he accepted the role , Yul Brynner demanded and had revisions made to the script to fit his more macho approach to the role. The scene on youtube showing Solomon(Power )talking to Abishag(Pavan) about fighting his impulse to put his hand in the flame - a metaphor - is quite different than the one in the completed film. It is clear that King Vidor was in an unhappy situation and he did the best he could. His later stated that the completed film was much changed from his initial hope and vision.

Posted:   Mar 29, 2014 - 8:22 PM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

On youtube , you can find under "tyrone power solomon"an approximately six minute montage of actual scenes and stills from his performance in SOLOMON AND SHEBA.

Not just scenes and stills but a photo of Power on the floor during his heart attack being attended by film crew. Anyone viewing the video who has any sort of emotional connection to Power should be aware of that.

As for the clips, they seem to me of a higher quality than anything currently in the film. Is it the acting, or was the script revised? Or did the director simply lose heart after Power's demise?

I dont think that those photos of Power on the ground are from the scene he was filming when he had the fatal attack --
That scene was Solomon's final sword fight with Adonijah and his costume is quite different. You can see Power, Sanders and Lollobrigida in one b/w photo standing between takes as they get ready to stage that fight - it is also outdoors. The stills of Power on the floor look like the (indoor)scene where S&S are attacked by Josiah, Adonijah's cohort , and another man and Solomon has to fight them off.

If it's not that moment, it's certainly a cogent reminder of the moment. For anyone who hasn't viewed the video yet the link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP9OV3Zl-0M and the time point is 4:05.

Posted:   Apr 6, 2014 - 12:15 PM   
 By:   SoundScope   (Member)

Hope that the guys at Twilight Time get the message that this film is a pile of "shite" and they choose not to consider putting it out, just to teach low-end scumbags like me to appreciate "great art" and not to enjoy a film that was a part of my childhood. I'm sure that they will make that happen. Thanks so much.

I bought SOLOMON AND SHEBA on laserdisc.

I bought it on DVD.

I would certainly buy it on Blu-ray,
and I'm sure others would, as well.

I have so many dvd's and this is one of them. But I would buy it on Blu if it were available! My general rule on any more buys of films i already own these days is that if it were shot with a wide format system (i.e. 70mm or horizontal frame) i'll buy the blu-ray. Solomon and Sheba would be nice to see that way!

Posted:   Apr 6, 2014 - 7:40 PM   

Hope that the guys at Twilight Time get the message that this film is a pile of "shite" and they choose not to consider putting it out, just to teach low-end scumbags like me to appreciate "great art" and not to enjoy a film that was a part of my childhood. I'm sure that they will make that happen. Thanks so much.

I bought it on DVD.

I have so many dvd's and this is one of them. But I would buy it on Blu if it were available! My general rule on any more buys of films i already own these days is that if it were shot with a wide format system (i.e. 70mm or horizontal frame) i'll buy the blu-ray. Solomon and Sheba would be nice to see that way!

This Biblical would look spectacular in Blu-Ray - thanks to the 70mm cinematography. And it is also in Technicolor which makes today's epics like NOAH look washed out and drab.

Posted:   Apr 7, 2014 - 5:31 PM   
 By:   paulw   (Member)

I bought it on DVD.

This Biblical would look spectacular in Blu-Ray - thanks to the 70mm cinematography. And it is also in Technicolor which makes today's epics like NOAH look washed out and drab.

This is assuming that the Blu-ray is taken from a 70mm master not a 35mm version..

Posted:   Apr 7, 2014 - 7:51 PM   

I bought it on DVD.

This is assuming that the Blu-ray is taken from a 70mm master not a 35mm version..

I dont know for sure but the U.S. dvd had an excellent picture that looked like it might have come from a 70mm print - sharp image + bright colors.

Posted:   Sep 23, 2014 - 3:19 AM   
 By:   Bob DiMucci   (Member)

In this thread above, Jim Doherty developed track titles for the United Artists SOLOMON AND SHEBA LP. I found another thread in which WILLIAMDMCCRUM gave alternate track titles. Here is a comparison, with Jim Doherty first and WILLIAMDMCCRUM in brackets:

SIDE A:
A1: Orgiastic Dance (small section) [Rha-Gon (???!!!)]
A2: First Battle, Part One [Egyptian Invasion]
A3: Final Battle, Part Two [Battle in Israel]
A4: Final Battle, Part One [Battle in Israel]
A5: Orgiastic Dance (another section) [Pagan Festival]
A6: Main Title [Main Theme (Title)]
A7: Solomon Talks with God [King David's Death]
A8: Purification of Sheba [Miracle]

SIDE B:
B1: The Soldiers Return [Returning to Arms]
B2: Solomon and Sheba [The Misty Lake]
B3: Mourning Abishag [Hymn to Jehovah]
B4: Sheban Camp [Sheban Caravans]
B5: Death of Abishag (alternate?) [Abishag]
B6: ? –This is either an alternate of some other cue, or something that went unused – perhaps
under a longer version of Solomon’s “…but joy cometh in the morning” speech at the end of
the film). [Solomon's Meditation]
B7: A Day Together [Peace in Israel]
B8: Blind To Love [Declaration of Love]