Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 3:41 PM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

vinyl-LP release ... release date is set for July 3, 2013.

Unfortunately postponed to August 6, 2013

Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 4:34 PM   
 By:   dwirving68   (Member)

My order for the Deluxe Edition from amazon says "Shipping Now". Tuesday can't get here soon enough!

Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 6:18 PM   
 By:   BackToTheFutureFan   (Member)

Picked up my copy of the Deluxe Edition today. 3/4 of the way through the first disc and I like what I'm hearing. Except for a few piano moments, this score doesn't let up. "Terraforming" is an amazing track. So far so good. Classic Zimmer.

Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 6:48 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Has anyone said for sure which tracks were used to make up that great trailer music?

Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 7:06 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

Hopefully I can find the deluxe in-store somewhere....

Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 8:55 PM   
 By:   TM   (Member)

Has anyone said for sure which tracks were used to make up that great trailer music?

The 3rd trailer appears to be a version of the track "What are you going to do when you are not saving the world"

Also 9:14 in the Sketchbook suite

Posted:   Jun 9, 2013 - 9:43 PM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

The 3rd trailer appears to be a version of the track "What are you going to do when you are not saving the world"

Also 9:14 in the Sketchbook suite

Still can't believe they didn't cash in hard and release that trailer music as a single. Missed opportunity.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 1:58 AM   
 By:   zachip   (Member)

just listened to the deluxe and what can i say... wow!!
and i don't really like Zimmer post 00's scores (felt like he repeating himself) but this one? Zimmer nailed it!!
it's the best thing he did over the last 2 decades !!

and i think it's the perfect score for modernized superman movie which i couldn't think will work with a Williams
kind of score.

highlights:
1. If You Love These People
2. Terraforming
3. Flight
4. What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World (trailer music)

this one is very bombastic and adrenalin-pumping score and must listen with REALLY HIGH VOLUME!

i was really skeptic about this one but what a surprise. very highly recommend !

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 2:20 AM   
 By:   jacky   (Member)

just listened to the deluxe and what can i say... wow!!
and i don't really like Zimmer post 00's scores (felt like he repeating himself) but this one? Zimmer nailed it!!
it's the best thing he did over the last 2 decades !!

and i think it's the perfect score for modernized superman movie which i couldn't think will work with a Williams
kind of score.

highlights:
3. What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World (trailer music)

So the trailermusic was released afterall or is it just a fragment of the trailermusic?
Shaun Rutherford and a lot more people would be very pleased wink

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 2:35 AM   

didn't listen to the all trailer music, but "What Are You Going to Do" contain most of it and it's the major theme of the score.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 4:46 AM   

another thing to note about the deluxe and regular.

the best thing about the 2nd disc is the Zimmer sketchbook (which available in regular edition) - rest of the tracks are just fillers and not memorable.

So unless you want useless steel package, you can stick with regular edition.

sometimes i think, those deluxe edition are just cash in from studios.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 5:12 AM   
 By:   cdelelee   (Member)

The sketchbook track is NOT available on the regular edition and an unreleased track like "Earth", with its folk arrangements, is really worth having.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 5:47 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

The sketchbook track is in both editions - in the regular edition, it is the only track on disc 2.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 6:27 AM   
 By:   tarasis   (Member)

Pleased to see this is up on Spotify so I can check it out. Seems to be the regular version, the last available track is the sketchbook.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 6:51 AM   
 By:   cdelelee   (Member)

The sketchbook track is in both editions - in the regular edition, it is the only track on disc 2.

I have the regular European CD edition since the end of May, and it's not on it. May be it's only for the download version. Well, never mind !

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 7:02 AM   
 By:   JohnF   (Member)

"Arcade" kicks ass. Hands down one of the coolest tracks I've ever heard. No one creates a soundscape like Zimmer. He brought it. Seems like his whole career has been working towards creating this score. Simply amazing.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 7:11 AM   
 By:   mstrox   (Member)

I have the regular European CD edition since the end of May, and it's not on it. May be it's only for the download version. Well, never mind !

It's possible that the second disc is only part of the US regular edition

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 8:47 AM   
 By:   Mr Greg   (Member)

My understanding of the UK versions is that the single disc release (with the coloured logo on the front) does not have the Sketchbook track. The other two releases (both with grey/black packaging) are both 2 disc releases which have the sketchbook track at the beginning of CD 2.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 9:14 AM   
 By:   captain_avis   (Member)

I've just listened to the score for the first time. It's not as bad as I'd expected given some of the samples. Neither, though is it near the level of Zimmer's best recent work (The Dark Knight, Inception), but it's certainly not Battleship level bad. It's a pretty far cry from Williams' work though.

The most interesting observation that struck me while listening had to do with the drum 'orchestra'. It's amazing that, with all these highly talented drummers at Hans' disposal, the resulting sound when they're all playing in concert is essentially that of a cheap synthesized drum hit. Bear McCreary manages to get far more interesting and satisfying sounds out of his single solo percussionists!

Chris.

Posted:   Jun 10, 2013 - 10:26 AM   
 By:   nuts_score   (Member)

So this is the score the Williams fans were bound to be disappointed in, the fans of Zimmer to be in anticipation over, and general soundtrack fans to have a grand curiosity in. As a member of all three seemingly harmonious groups I have greatly enjoyed my listens via the Spotify stream. I'm anxious to receive my deluxe edition discs tomorrow from Amazon, as the version via Spotify is simply an unremarkable compression. This will have been the first physical CD I've purchased since the wonderful soundtrack compilation that accompanied Shutter Island (also 2 discs in length!).

The music is as I had wanted. Grand, exciting, epic, and, to my ears, immense fun (the primary reason I listen to music). I can't wait to see the film on Thursday to see how the music and Zimmer's great new motifs and themes play out amongst this comic book Fantasy (perhaps the last of its kind I have any enthusiam for).

For the Williams-devoted, I ask you what your opinion of this music is as a grand Sci-Fi score? Disregard the Superman connection and what have you to say? Of course, in your perspective nothing was going to top what the maestro brought to that beloved 1978 film -- a perfect score, in my opinion -- but what if this was a score for a brand new Science Fiction Fantasy film that you anticipated seeing? That's my viewpoint. I don't want this film or score to be anything like Donner's or Williams' contribution. I want it to stand on its own.

To me, it does. I feel bad for you if you feel your ears have been wrecked or your ultimate dreams raped. Perhaps a nice day in the sun will do you some good?