Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Oct 8, 2008 - 10:54 AM   
 By:   Natrebo   (Member)

I've yet to receive this score or the Morton Steven's score. I ordered it within an hour of it being released in hopes of getting it autographed and getting the Bonus disc. I've sent emails to both the addresses I've found, but no response. Anyone else still waiting?

Posted:   Oct 8, 2008 - 10:59 AM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

It's a really lovely score and it's already received multiple plays.

Posted:   Oct 8, 2008 - 12:10 PM   
 By:   Moonie   (Member)

Got it today and listening to it now, very pretty score.

sd smile

Chris Young is the Man!!

Posted:   Oct 8, 2008 - 1:45 PM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

Got it today and listening to it now, very pretty score.

sd smile

You mean it isn't "Outstanding"?

Posted:   Oct 8, 2008 - 2:08 PM   
 By:   Moonie   (Member)

[start quote][start quote]Got it today and listening to it now, very pretty score.

sd smile[end quote]

You mean it isn't "Outstanding"?[end quote]

or Great, or Wonderful, or Superb, or Supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus , I cant believe my spell check fixed the spelling of that word.

Posted:   Oct 8, 2008 - 5:01 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

I've been hoping for this release ever since I saw the film on HBO.

Bravo!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2008 - 9:04 AM   

Hey Mark,

I'm still waiting for word on my Order number: 34094

Sorry to bump up this thread for that, but I've still had no response via either of the email addresses given by buysoundtrax.

Posted:   Oct 9, 2008 - 5:05 PM   
 By:   niente   (Member)

I call this score, "Something Outstanding That Chris Young Made." What a thoroughly classy work. So here's the proof; put a worthy project into the hands of a caring, sensitive and very capable musician and this is what comes out. Simply a beautiful composition that reflects the best aspects of a talented film composer. For me, this is a particular joy - witnessing a still-evolving talent. You just sense there's so much more wonderful music to come from Mr. Young. Great CD artwork, great sound, great music. To use a familiar phrase around here, A KNOCKOUT!

-Ned

Posted:   Oct 9, 2008 - 9:40 PM   

I was just told my shipped yesterday... I can't wait!

Posted:   Oct 9, 2008 - 9:54 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

Deja vu

Posted:   Oct 10, 2008 - 3:10 AM   
 By:   Nils   (Member)

Got this one a few days ago (and was pleasantly surprised that it was an autographed copy!), and I can only join the praise here - a lyrical, beautiful score.

One thing: The list of musicians in the booklet includes only strings, piano, percussion and harp, but I'm pretty sure I can hear both trumpet and french horn on a couple of tracks. They're not used as solo instruments, but they're there in the background. Am I right, or are my ears playing tricks on me??

I also made a nerdy observation about the cover. It has the number BSXCD 8837 printed everywhere - the same as BSX's SCENES OF THE CRIME/A CHILD'S GAME. Only the barcode indicates that the number should be BSXCD 8842, which is what BSX lists it as on their website. And Intrada lists it as BSXCD 8840...

Posted:   Oct 13, 2008 - 3:54 PM   
 By:   Preston Neal Jones   (Member)

If my copy was autographed, I didn't notice. (Must look again.) But I received it this weekend, and while listening to it I found it to be even more beautiful than I realized while watching the film. How often do we find that certain scores lose a little something when not tied to the film? But here we have a score that only gains in stature when standing on its own. Bravo, maestro!

Posted:   Sep 4, 2013 - 6:17 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

I watched this movie recently and listened the score. I would highly suggest that anyone who has not had or taken the opportunity to watch this movie and/or listen to the score to do so. This movie is the story of an amazing man who lived his life in an extraordinary way during an extraordinary time. The presence of Mos Def as the determined but humble Vivian Thomas and Alan Rickman as the bombastic, renegade tutor are a treat to watch.

This score was my first introduction to Christopher Young. Since then I have purchased the rejected score for An Unfinished Life and more recently a little gem entitled An Unfinished Life Piano Sketches. Wonderful. I have also heard bits from Creation and Wonder Boys and want to hear more. I look forward to hearing more by Mr. Young.

Posted:   Sep 5, 2013 - 2:13 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

This score was my first introduction to Christopher Young. Since then I have purchased the rejected score for An Unfinished and more recently a little gem entitled An Unfinished Life Piano Sketches. Wonderful. I have also heard bits from Creation and Wonder Boys and want to hear more. I look forward to hearing more by Mr. Young.

I love the Unfinished Life releases, so great to hear both takes! If you like his drama scoring, I highly recommend "Murder in the First" and "The Shipping News".

Posted:   Sep 5, 2013 - 3:00 PM   
 By:   Advise & Consent   (Member)

I look forward to hearing more by Mr. Young.

You shan't regret.

Posted:   Sep 6, 2013 - 5:51 AM   
 By:   JohnnyG   (Member)

This score was my first introduction to Christopher Young. Since then I have purchased the rejected score for An Unfinished and more recently a little gem entitled An Unfinished Life Piano Sketches. Wonderful. I have also heard bits from Creation and Wonder Boys and want to hear more. I look forward to hearing more by Mr. Young.

I love the Unfinished Life releases, so great to hear both takes! If you like his drama scoring, I highly recommend "Murder in the First" and "The Shipping News".

And this one too:

Posted:   Sep 7, 2013 - 8:24 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

Francis,

I caught the opening track of The Shipping News today and am hooked. The Celtic flavor is something I love and I cannot wait to hear the score en total. Thanks to all of you who recommended this.