Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jan 13, 2012 - 1:07 PM   
 By:   john mansell   (Member)

Whitaker said in an interview for Soundtrack! The Collector's Quarterly that did some orchestrating for Jerry Goldsmith. Can anybody out there back this up?

Hi I interviewed David for soundtrack, he told me that he did some arranging for Goldsmith and I am sure he might have conducted some things for the composer also. He told me that Goldsmith spoke of his score for RUN WILD RUN FREE referring to it as Brahms like

Posted:   Jan 13, 2012 - 8:16 PM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

Sad to report that British composer David Whitaker passed away today at the age of 81.
He was best known for his scores for "Vampire Circus", "Scream and Scream Again",
"Hammerhead", "Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde", "Run Wild, Run Free", and more recently,
"With a Friend Like Harry".

David and I became good friends when he did the music on "The Sword and Sorcerer".
My wife and I visited him and his wonderful wife, Sue, during our honeymoon in England.
He was always fun to be around and had a great sense of humor. He will be missed by
his many fans.

I was wondering if you'd be willing to share any stories with us?

Posted:   Jan 13, 2012 - 11:44 PM   
 By:   CLaFong99   (Member)

Not much to say. "S & S" was the only time we worked together, although
David visited many times thereafter trying to land more work in Hollywood.

He was a talented composer and a wonderful arranger who insisted on
doing his own orchestrations. In recent years he did a lot of arranging in
France and for the BBC.

He gave me the 1/4" tapes of the "Sword and Sorcerer" scoring sessions
Years later, I lent them to Ford Thaxton who was a big fan of
the score and he put out a CD of the entire score.

His LP, "Music to Spy By", is a really good Sixties lounge album that needs
to be released on CD!

I will post an official obit when one comes out.

Posted:   Jan 14, 2012 - 5:13 AM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

Thank you CL. There are a few tracks from Music To Spy By on The David Whitaker Song Book CD but I agree that it would be great to have the whole album released on CD, or any Whitaker works for that matter, he's sorely under-represented on CD.

Posted:   Jan 14, 2012 - 2:32 PM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Ah, David Whitaker... Yes, a very fine composer. Saddened to hear of his passing. I'll probably remember him as the most distinctive of Hammer's composers from the early '70s, along with the late great Harry Robinson of course. Memories... I recall taking a cassette recorder into the cinema to tape all the bits of music from VAMPIRE CIRCUS. How geekish is that? Very, but it WAS splendid music. And his DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE is marvelous. I must have played that track from the old EMI "Dracula" LP (remember? The one with the gatefold sleeve - my very first record) about a million times. So elegant, so imaginative.

But of course, he wasn't all horror! I too went through the teenage RUN WILD, RUN FREE love affair. I think I got that LP on one of my annual trips to 58 Dean Street, and simply because I'd liked DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE! What I heard was nothing like his Hammer scores, but I was enchanted by the hauntingly lyrical pop melodies. In a way that score helped me to open my horizons a little bit.

Rest in peace, David Whitaker. Wonderful composer.

Posted:   Jan 15, 2012 - 6:24 AM   
 By:   cricketmonster   (Member)

Hi all

It's terrific to see so many lovely things said about David. I was fortunate enough to work as his assistant for the last 12 years and we became great friends. He was just about the loveliest person you could possibly meet and his musical talent never ceased to amaze me. He was forever young and a wonderful individual. I will miss him dearly...

Thank you for all your kind comments, I'm sure his family will be thrilled to read them.

J.

Posted:   Jan 15, 2012 - 8:35 AM   

That's very touching, cricketmonster. Thanks for sharing.

Posted:   Jan 15, 2012 - 8:39 AM   
 By:   goldsmith-rulez   (Member)

Whitaker was a fine composer. VAMPIRE CIRCUS is one of the best Hammer scores I know, too bad they recorded only a short suite of that one for Silva (or is there an actual OST?).

Posted:   Jan 15, 2012 - 8:50 AM   

goldsmith-rulez - There are about 6 or 7 minutes of original score from VAMPIRE CIRCUS on GDI's "The Hammer Vampire Film Music Collection". That's less than the re-recorded suite. Judging by the way the score fades in and out at the beginning and end of some tracks, I'm guessing that the material presented on the GDI disc was the only stuff in good enough condition to be salvaged.

Posted:   Jan 15, 2012 - 8:53 AM   
 By:   soundtracksi   (Member)

Sad new's indeed, great loss,

Posted:   Jan 15, 2012 - 8:54 AM   
 By:   goldsmith-rulez   (Member)

Well, I wouldn't be surprised. VAMPIRE CIRCUS was a troubled production, and its lead protagonists weren't on speaking terms when it was finished. Michael Carreras took the project out of the director's hands and re-assembled the material beyond recognition.

Posted:   Jan 15, 2012 - 1:27 PM   
 By:   SteffM   (Member)

His Korngoldian magnum opus.

Posted:   Jan 16, 2012 - 12:25 AM   
 By:   Dr Lenera   (Member)

Sad news, a very underrated and underused composer. RIP

Posted:   Jan 28, 2012 - 7:37 PM   
 By:   CLaFong99   (Member)

Here is David's official biography.
Wow! He worked with many great artists!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9042339/David-Whitaker.html

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 6:45 AM   
 By:   YOR The Hunter From The Future   (Member)

YOR is listening to his "The Sword And The Sorcerer" for the first time and it is a very good score!

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 10:40 AM   
 By:   WillGoldNewtonBarryGrusin   (Member)

YOR is listening to his "The Sword And The Sorcerer" for the first time and it is a very good score!

For the first time? YOR might really need to brush up on his hunting skills.

Although - what would happen if YOR comes across a score he likes more than the one to his own movie?

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 11:12 AM   
 By:   persuaders   (Member)

MR. Whitaker was a gifted composer. I always remember his haunting theme for a Brithis film "Dominique" in the late 70 ". RIP.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 5:39 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Yes DOMINIQUE-78- Very nice theme by DAVID, I thought film was moderate but it had a very nice cast.Didn't get much of a release stateside.

Posted:   Jul 3, 2013 - 2:14 AM   
 By:   BillCarson   (Member)

to quote CLaFong's Telegraph obit.

Whitaker: "....When I first started writing music for pictures back in the old three-track days,” Whitaker recalled, “I hardly even met the directors or producers. I was given tremendously free range, and I would hurl everything at those scores. And you had to: I went wild doing a Western once for Irving Allen and I had a huge bloody orchestra with eight horns, four trumpets, two bass trombones, three tenor trombones, two tubas, with wind and strings to match, but when the score was finished he said 'Not noisy enough!...."

As Irving Allen was the producer, Im assuming the western he's talking about was aforementioned Jack Palance film The Desperadoes?

Great theme. Dont recall much about the score other than its another long lost western that never got a soundtrack treatment.

Posted:   Jul 3, 2013 - 3:58 PM   
 By:   YOR The Hunter From The Future   (Member)

YOR just discovered that Reb Brown, YOR himself, is in the cast of "The Sword And The Sorcerer"!

Go Reb! Go!