Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
This is a comments thread about Blog Post: Oscar Predictions and Other End of 2012 Lists by Scott Bettencourt

Posted:   Dec 30, 2012 - 7:56 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

With the powerhouse punch of Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts in the lead roles, A: OC should get butts into seats (unless the reviews are awful which is unlikely).

Uhhh, Julia Roberts hasn't been able to "open" a movie for years, now. I can't remember the last blockbuster movie that made money just because she was in it. Even that Mirror Mirror movie tanked.

Posted:   Dec 30, 2012 - 8:14 PM   
 By:   Scott Bettencourt   (Member)

I've never figured out a good name for it, but there's a whole subcategory of movies (THE HUMAN STAIN, THE SHIPPING NEWS, EVENING, NINE) whose cast, crew and source material would seem to guarantee them as top Oscar bait but they end up with few or no nominations. The combo of Streep, Roberts and an Award-winning play could easily put A:OC into that category (though I hear that the play is terrific and infinitely more accessible than BUG or KILLER JOE; but then, most plays are).

Posted:   Dec 30, 2012 - 10:41 PM   
 By:   The CinemaScope Cat   (Member)

Uhhh, Julia Roberts hasn't been able to "open" a movie for years, now. I can't remember the last blockbuster movie that made money just because she was in it. Even that Mirror Mirror movie tanked.

For years? How about 2010? A film doesn't have to be a blockbuster to be a profitable hit. EAT PRAY LOVE did well with an $81 million gross in the U.S. and a total $196 million international gross. That was enough to make its money back and a tidy little profit. Doesn't even include home video revenue.

Roberts still commands a hefty paycheck and is considered one of most steadily bankable film actresses around. But with her next two films, both based on award winning plays, the aforementioned AUGUST OSAGE COUNTY and the film version of THE NORMAL HEART (Ellen Barkin won a Tony for the part Roberts is going to play), clearly she's more interested in more heavy duty roles than crowd pleasing blockbusters. She was America's reigning box office actress for almost 15 years (1990-2004) and unlike Meg Ryan, she's smart enough to know you can't be America's sweetheart forever and it's time to move on to more challenging roles.

LARRY CROWNE was a Tom Hanks film really.

Posted:   Dec 31, 2012 - 3:02 AM   
 By:   Buscemi   (Member)

Mirror Mirror did return its budget after foreign totals but it was really a film made for foreign audiences anyway (having a look more inspired by Russian ballet than the Twilight/Hunger Games look that's popular in American fantasy films).