Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 10:11 AM   
 By:   Hercule Platini   (Member)

If it is DRESSED TO KILL, is there much that's missing from the Varese CD? I've always loved that album but doubt I'd go for an expansion unless there's a substantial amount of extra material.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 10:38 AM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

If it is DRESSED TO KILL, is there much that's missing from the Varese CD? I've always loved that album but doubt I'd go for an expansion unless there's a substantial amount of extra material.

A possible selling point for me is the original tracks minus reverb - I more appreciate than love the existing CD of DRESSED TO KILL, mainly because of the heavy reverb on the Varese presentation. Hearing the music from the original source tapes may be an entirely new listening experience. I'll certainly give the clips a close listen.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 11:45 AM   
 By:   Filmscoremonty   (Member)

There certainly is - including the completely overlooked (on the Varese album) "surveillance theme" - missing pieces include (track titles indicative of their place in the narrative):
- message from Bobbi
- Eavesdropping
- Picking up Peter
- Peter's Plan
- Peter's Plan in action
- The Hotel (source)
- Pursued
- Subway attack
- Visiting Dr Levy
- Bad and dirty dreams (Liz Visits Dr Elliott) (great use of female voices!)
- The Asylum (the track titled "The Asylum on the Varese album is actually just the final bathroom scene)
- Stalking Peter's house

smile

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 12:28 PM   
 By:   Simon Underwood   (Member)

Has to be Dressed To Kill. I remember someone (*possibly* Bruce) saying they wanted to do it but someone else beat them to the rights (*possibly* and now probably, it seems, Intrada) and it would be done soon, but it was only going to be a straight reissue, which kind of disappointed me.

Now it's expanded - wonderful news!

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 1:46 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Of course it's Dressed to Kill. While I agree with the poster who thinks Carrie should be at the top of the De Palma/Donaggio partnership, I'm glad Intrada was persistent and found the multi-tracks because it will be marvelous to have this complete.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 2:39 PM   
 By:   Mr. Jack   (Member)

Certainly hoping it'll be an expanded/properly sequenced Dressed To Kill...while not the absolute best movie of the various De Palma/Donaggio collaborations (I'd rank Carrie and Blow Out as better films), DTK represents Donaggio's best overall score, fitting De Palma's saturated, hyperreal imagery like a glove and perfectly accentuating the eroticism and chills. Plus, I sold off the old Varese disc several years ago, after I'd burned a CDR with the score is as close to a chronological presentation as was possible. I can't wait to hear the eerie vocal cues and Keith Gordon's "snooping" theme that were regrettably absent from the original album sequence.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 4:39 PM   
 By:   TerraEpon   (Member)

I love the score, more than Carrie, and while I never had a problem with the original CD (granted it's been a while) I welcome more of its beautiful music.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 5:58 PM   
 By:   DeviantMan   (Member)

Ah,
can finally replace that Varèse CD with that ugly blue/green wallpaper inlay card.

wink

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 6:19 PM   
 By:   Jerry Horne   (Member)

I've been waiting for this. I'm happy.

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 8:42 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

To much regret I let my Varese copy go a couple years ago, so I'm very happy it may be "DTK".

Posted:   May 8, 2013 - 9:53 PM   
 By:   RR Aitken   (Member)

Regarding the impending good news that (fingers crossed!) Pino's score to DTK is being expanded and reissued with better sound on cd by Intrada, let me offer an appropriate quote from the cartoon sage Yosemite Sam: "I'M A READY!" If the score is being released, the timing is excellent as the projected US film release of PASSION is supposed to be on July 3rd as per a post on De Palma A La Mod from May 5th. http://www.angelfire.com/de/palma/blog/

Posted:   May 13, 2013 - 4:22 PM   
 By:   Jason LeBlanc   (Member)

Why did Roger say one title was coming, and yet two titles showed up today?