Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 12:09 PM   
 By:   edwzoomom   (Member)

I was curious what prompted such a flood of them. Usually it's only been one or two at a time, so I was surprised to come onto the board last night and find nearly the entire first page filled with them.

I agree that he could create one thread to host his links, and simply post new ones there.

Obsession is what prompted it - the person whose collection this supposedly is hired some people to post all these threads - part of the reason being so he can see if other people have stuff he doesn't so that he can that do whatever it takes to track that down. This will stop when he tires of the obsession, which he will. But yes, the deluge is tiresome and even irritating now. The first few were kind of interesting and fun. Now it's just stupid.

Ditto. I do not normally criticize on this board but this really prompted me to. I am a pacifist at heart lol but this got on my normally numb nerve. Enough said by me.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 12:25 PM   
 By:   Trent B.   (Member)

I put the dude on ignore. I mean if you like sheet music and can read it then that's one thing but to flood the forum with single threads, that's annoying...

Having ONE main thread then update it when you get new sheet music that's a different story.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 12:35 PM   
 By:   Kim Tong   (Member)

I put the dude on ignore. I mean if you like sheet music and can read it then that's one thing but to flood the forum with single threads, that's annoying...

Having ONE main thread then update it when you get new sheet music that's a different story.

I put him on my ignore list, his first post and the pictures are gone, but the threads still show up, so that is not a help.
Do not post to them and they will drop off fast.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 1:15 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

Yeah, I'm in. Just update one thread.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 1:20 PM   
 By:   drivingmissdaisy   (Member)

Maybe I'm the odd one, but it didn't bother me, I just scrolled down, took an extra 2-3 seconds of my day, I survived. I like them in different threads as I can easily and quickly find the composer I'd like to look at.

Interesting seeing how much sheet music has been published. I would have never thought the Main Title to Police Academy would have been put out there. That would have been a fun one to do in High School many moons ago smile

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 1:38 PM   
 By:   GoblinScore   (Member)

This all stemmed from last night...it was just a FLOOD of posts....not the end of the world but a PITA if you're trying to track the latest Zimmer hilarity.And there is a weird post by sheety that states "its" a group of folks posting. ...I don't get it, but whadda I know anyway. ...

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 1:41 PM   
 By:   Mike Skerritt   (Member)

I get a kick out of some of these, just due to the fact that they HAVE sheet music for some of this stuff, but really?

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 2:18 PM   
 By:   Scott M (Oldsmith)   (Member)

Wow, I didn't even notice the sheet music threads existed. I only found my way into this one because the title mad me curious about how often "sheet music" comes up. If there is a subject I'm not interest in or don't like, it doesn't even hit my radar.

This is one reason why you don't see me in a composer thread and saying how much I think he sucks.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 3:20 PM   
 By:   Loren   (Member)

I get a kick out of some of these, just due to the fact that they HAVE sheet music for some of this stuff, but really?

Why? Think about the avalanche of posts by "Morricone" about Morricone's soundtracks?
Live and let post

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 3:50 PM   
 By:   Trent B.   (Member)

Wow, I didn't even notice the sheet music threads existed. I only found my way into this one because the title mad me curious about how often "sheet music" comes up. If there is a subject I'm not interest in or don't like, it doesn't even hit my radar.

This is one reason why you don't see me in a composer thread and saying how much I think he sucks.

I don't think it would have been too bad if he kept just ONE main thread then updated it whenever he got new sheet music instead of FLOODING thread main board with SEPARATE threads from the same composer.

I too though don't click a subject that I have no interest in but when you see multiple threads from the same user that says SHEETMUSIC in big huge letters it's sort of hard not to see them.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 4:03 PM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

I don't think it would have been too bad if he kept just ONE main thread then updated it whenever he got new sheet music instead of FLOODING thread main board with SEPARATE threads from the same composer.

Putting it all in one thread would become too chaotic, look at the amount of threads they have posted so far. On the one hand I find them interesting and I do think the separate thread procedure is the way to go (also facilitates the search engine when you're only interested in selected composers), on the other hand I can't fathom why anyone would want to spend all their time and effort in posting so much information on ... the fsm message board. Sure it has been around for a while, but worst case scenario when Lukas decides to pull the plug, bye bye threads. It would make much more sense to host your own site or blog and post them there.

As for cluttering up the board, mabey these people could just post one or two a day and not all at once? Have any of them responded to these outcries yet?

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 4:05 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Maybe I'm the odd one, but it didn't bother me, I just scrolled down, took an extra 2-3 seconds of my day, I survived.

Well then, color me odd too.
I'm sure that there are at least a couple of solutions to the issue. But at first, the thought of having to scroll down past them left me infuriated. And then when faced with the prospect of having to click on the little "2" to get to the 2nd page of topics, I went absolutely ballistic. I stomped away from the PC for a while and, out of frustration, picked a ridiculous and completely arbitrary fight with my Missus. I returned to the PC, battered and bruised (but all the better person for it), a short time later. A whole day's reflection has given me a fresh perspective on the issue and now I think I can cope a lot better. Clicking on the "2" seems a lot less maddening now.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 4:06 PM   
 By:   Michael24   (Member)

Putting it all in one thread would become too chaotic, look at the amount of threads they have posted so far.

Like someone else suggested, they should just start a blog to post these on, then simply maintain a thread here to provide the links whenever there is a new entry made on the blog.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 5:31 PM   
 By:   Wedge   (Member)

Putting it all in one thread would become too chaotic, look at the amount of threads they have posted so far. On the one hand I find them interesting and I do think the separate thread procedure is the way to go (also facilitates the search engine when you're only interested in selected composers) [...] As for cluttering up the board, mabey these people could just post one or two a day and not all at once? Have any of them responded to these outcries yet?

Not yet. In any case, "outcry" may not move them if they've been recruited to do a job. They haven't posted in a single thread that they didn't create -- and they only create "Sheet Music Man" threads.

[This post edited to correct for context.]

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 5:49 PM   
 By:   Marty Ball   (Member)

Putting it all in one thread would become too chaotic

As opposed to making the entire front page a chaotic mess of threads 99% of the members aren't interested in? Please put down the crack pipe before you post again.

There is a cover art thread devoted to all things covers and it's worked fine. Cover artists simply update when they have new material to add. How is this sheet music crap any different?

Devoting a SINGLE thread for each composer's sheet music just to make it easier for you to search is plain selfish. Yeah, let's annoy 99% of the members just so "Francis" and one or two others can find a specific composers sheet music faster. roll eyes

Please.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 6:17 PM   
 By:   Last Child   (Member)

the SHEET is really hitting the fan.

Since I dont read the majority of threads it doesnt bother me at all to skip them too. But I always assumed they contained sheet music images or image links. Now that I see they only contain cover art, HOWL!!! Talk about misleading and pointless - now THAT I can see complaining about. Unless he changes every thread title to reflect these are sheetmusic cover art (and who the crap would want to see just those images anyway?!), not sheet music, delete all his threads! No, better yet, burn them!

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 6:24 PM   
 By:   drivingmissdaisy   (Member)

I think we should all go a step further and see if we can tar and feather this person as I'm now pissed. I had to spend an extra 3 seconds last night scrolling down to other threads. HOW DARE he/she do this to me. That's 3 seconds I'll never get back. My finger started to bleed from having to scroll those 3 seconds it took. I should send him/her my medical bill from that bleeding finger of mine...

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 6:38 PM   

I think we should all go a step further and see if we can tar and feather this person as I'm now pissed. I had to spend an extra 3 seconds last night scrolling down to other threads.

I know you're joking about the ill-health effects of scrolling, but doesnt the fact that there are maybe hundreds of misleading threads kinda bug you? In the back of my mind, I thought: if I ever need a resource for sheet music, I know where to go. And now I feel completely jilted.
Okay, I'm somewhat joking too (I'll probably never need a sheet music resource), but I still think he should be tarred, feathered, and maybe skinned alive for false advertizing.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 6:39 PM   
 By:   Paul Ettinger   (Member)

I like what sheetmusicman has done. One thread per composer makes it easy to find a particular composers output. I see no reason to create anything special for this. As new posts are added or updated the 'deluge' will drift down but still be available for anyone wanting to search for titles.
There are many, many posts on this forum on subjects that have no interest for me. I don't read them but neither do I castigate the poster for having the temerity to post film music related material on a film music site.
By Tuesday the problem will have drifted off your viewing pages and radar screens.

Posted:   Jul 13, 2013 - 6:43 PM   

There are many, many posts on this forum on subjects that have no interest for me.

but Paul, he's not posting what he claims to be posting! On a huge scale!
I was so much less bothered before this thread prompted me to open one of those sheetmusic threads.
This board needs to get it's righteousness back. Call Wesley Snipes!