Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Feb 3, 2008 - 6:31 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

What ever happened to Carmine Infantino, with those sublime, linear illos?

And Curt Swan?

And Kurt Schaffenburger?

DC Aces, all.

Posted:   Feb 3, 2008 - 8:39 PM   
 By:   Timmer   (Member)

BEST. THREAD. EVER.

smile

Posted:   Feb 3, 2008 - 9:42 PM   
 By:   JSWalsh   (Member)

I didn't care for Kirby's stuff around the time I got into comics. His characters all looked bloated.

But rebig grinr. Strange, one can't deny the greatness of the Kirby Crackle...

Those who don't know what I mean, think about those energy bursts and Dr. Strange-ish mists... big grin

The Spirit is the only comic book I read (in reprints from Kitchen Sink) post-1983 or so. And I think Miller's smart enough to know that The Spirit isn't Sin City. While I loved the look of the movie Sin City the content was blah. I think Miller knows he isn't just remaking Sin City.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2008 - 4:16 AM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

What I love about Kirby is his zaniness... I don't know if you'd actually consider him a GOOD writer but he was an enthusiastic one, with boundless ideas, and they were all wild, Out There, crazy - combine that with his masterful ultra stylzied poses, costumes, action scenes, and he's damn hard to beat.

And his stuff is FUN to read - unlike so many of today's creators who can't do a damn thing unless they dumb it down to the "grim & gritty" style - which has to be maybe the biggest current cop out in comics.

And while we're at it, give up the love for my personal favorite artist, GIL KANE. His brilliantly fluid style and graceful battle scenes are unsurpassed for me. I love Ditko, Romita, Andru, but - Gil Kane defined the look and balletic beauty of Spidey like no one else!

Posted:   Feb 4, 2008 - 3:51 PM   
 By:   Gordon Reeves   (Member)

Speaking of Infantino, don’t forget he did this epochal cross-over to end all Cross-Overs:

As for Steve Ditko, if anything demonstrates this gent’s tremendous range, contrast his Spidey-wheeling (especially those almost balletic action sequences) to - arguably - his greatest creation, Eternity:

In all of Marveldom, that’s about the only character who coulda comprised a truly COSMIC Cross-Over if he’d encountered Galactus ...

Posted:   Feb 4, 2008 - 6:15 PM   

No mention of the late great John Buscema yet? Best known for his 17 issue run on the 1960's Silver Surfer ( Jack Kirby did the 18th and "final" issue )and, of course, his brilliant run on Conan The Barbarian, much as I liked Barry Smith's work it was Buscema and writer Roy Thomas's take on the series that truly defined it for me and I shouldn't forget Alfredo Alcala's inking either which complimented Buscema so much.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2008 - 6:20 PM   
 By:   Steve Johnson   (Member)

All the greats are gone. I met Gil Kane here in Dallas at our Yearly comic book convention; Kirby a year later out in San Diego. Kane was selling his pages from that issue of SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN I mentioned earlier for twenty bucks a pop!

Posted:   Feb 4, 2008 - 6:28 PM   

All the greats are gone. I met Gil Kane here in Dallas at our Yearly comic book convention; Kirby a year later out in San Diego. Kane was selling his pages from that issue of SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN I mentioned earlier for twenty bucks a pop!

Another blast from the past, The Savage Sword Of Conan! A number of covers featured early work by fantasy painter Boris Vallejo including the very first issue.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2008 - 7:43 PM   
 By:   MikeJ   (Member)

John Buscema has got to be one of the definitive Conan artists. As great as his linework was on its own, it became supercharged when he was inked by guys like Alcala, Tom Palmer. The stories got derivative over time but not the artwork, by Crom...

Posted:   Feb 4, 2008 - 8:01 PM   
 By:   MikeJ   (Member)

I will be the one to throw this man's name out to you all... Mr. James Steranko.

Posted:   Feb 4, 2008 - 9:28 PM   
 By:   JSWalsh   (Member)

"he did this epochal cross-over to end all Cross-Overs"

Technically, that would be the cross-over that BEGAN all cross-overs. big grin

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 10:48 AM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

When I saw the Buscema artwork, I immediately thought of the great Frank Frazetta, an influential artist in the comic world. He has a fine documentary that makes the rounds on cable..."Painting With Fire."

http://cgmesh.com/upload/Mark_wip/Beast/Ref/frank_frazetta_savagepellucidar.jpg

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I will be the one to throw this man's name out to you all... Mr. James Steranko.

I'll see you and match you with Al Williamson!

(Oh lord, the stories I remember and have to share about comics. How I miss them so...)

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 12:18 PM   

Some Russ Heath art:

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 12:22 PM   
 By:   MikeP   (Member)

John Buscema has got to be one of the definitive Conan artists. As great as his linework was on its own, it became supercharged when he was inked by guys like Alcala, Tom Palmer. The stories got derivative over time but not the artwork, by Crom...

Buscema = pure genius. For me he IS the definitive Conan artist, and yeah when Alfredo Alcala inked his pencils it was pure glory.

I'd always wanted to see his pencils inked by Barry Smith, that would have been an interesting pairing. I had a Captain America annual with Smith inking a few Kirby pages and damn it was fine stuff.

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 3:19 PM   

"he did this epochal cross-over to end all Cross-Overs"

Technically, that would be the cross-over that BEGAN all cross-overs. big grin

"Details, details!"

Sheesh! ... razz

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 3:20 PM   

Non, Mes Magnificent Ames, Big John Buscema

could ne’er be overlooked – yea, verily, he was to be included headed in Marvel’s Next Generation of Great Ones (ala Gene Colan – remember Adam Austin? wink, Steranko and others we’ve no fear FSM Assembled will contribute into the abornin' breach. [ Sorry, too many Stan's Soapbox' smile ]

And brother Sal was pretty damn impressive, 2

Boy, this thread’s turning out to be a sheer BEAUT thanks to the enthusiastic sharings abounding herein. Take a bow, one and all, yer doin' yourselves right royally proud! big grin

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 3:29 PM   

Boy, this thread’s turning out to be a sheer BEAUT thanks to the enthusiastic sharings abounding herein. Take a bow, one and all, yer doin' yourselves right royally proud!

You're right! Tonight I break open the olde comic boxes and dig in with some Mighty Marvels!

Don't forget John Romita, either:

http://anyeventuality.wordpress.com/2007/04/

Or Neal Adams: (okay, it's DC...)

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 3:55 PM   

Your Wish AIN’T Our Command but We Try, We Tryyyyy Department:

Jazzy John Romita

With equally impressive Second-Generation John Jr. with his Papa

Posted:   Feb 5, 2008 - 4:11 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

neo - I remain a huge fan of Sal Buscema for his work on Spectacular Spider-Man in the 1990s. The material he drew for The Child Within series is breathtaking at times.