Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 1:38 AM   
 By:   Francis   (Member)

@Wedge & Martyball, learn to read!

In my post which Michael quoted from where I said that one thread would be too chaotic, I also propose that sheetmusicman limit his posts to a couple a day as to not clutter up the board. A proposition which no one has considered here and which I think is a good compromise.

Martyball, before you accuse me of 'being on the crackpipe', which I'm always glad to see someone insult me on an internet message board, it helps if you read through a thread first. But thanks for making me out to be the bad guy in your post, appreciate it!

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 1:45 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the problem. I find some of these sheet music covers a good deal more interesting than a great many other threads but if you don't like them - you don't have to read them - and obviously they will soon disappear from view when replies dry up.

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 1:52 AM   

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the problem. I find some of these sheet music covers a good deal more interesting than a great many other threads but if you don't like them - you don't have to read them - and obviously they will soon disappear from view when replies dry up.

Yes, and they have been doing so for quite a while, but apparently sheetmusicman posted about 30 or so in a row couple of days ago, meaning that every thread on the 'general discussion' side here was devoted to his sheet music and people had to bump older threads. That pissed people off (righteously so) but I agree with Peter and others that some of this is clearly overreacting and it wouldn't be the FSM board if people didn't immediately go on the offense with a dumb petition instead of requesting politely for this cluttering to stop.

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 2:05 AM   
 By:   Wedge   (Member)

@Wedge ... learn to read!

To scroll up, in my case. Post edited to avoid quoting you out of context.

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 2:07 AM   

@Wedge ... learn to read!

To scroll up, in my case. Post edited to avoid quoting you out of context.

Tx, appreciate it.

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 2:32 AM   
 By:   Josh Mitchell   (Member)

I thought the "petition" was pretty funny.

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 4:38 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Seriously people - Am I the only one who has that problem regarding the Board "quirk"? I mentioned it in my initial post and thought it was a valid point, but it looks like I'm the only one who suffers from it. Maybe it's my PC?

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 5:50 AM   
 By:   films1   (Member)

although its good he posts its bordering on insanity and is quite annoying.

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 7:59 AM   
 By:   lexedo   (Member)

The fella has a good heart, and plenty of covers from film composers we all love very much. I hate the idea of beating down on this poor fella, so how about this:
- He starts a blogspot page with all of the graphics idexed by composer;
- He creates a thread with the blogspot url, and bumps it with the names of new entries as he posts them;
- We DO NOT create a new section of the Forum bc that would require additional cost and administrative burden on LK / DS; and
- We all go back to bickering about how good music was when we were younger, or when Goldsmith and Herrmann were around.

I do admit that the volume of entries at once can suck all of the O out of the Forum's front page, especially when browsing mobile.

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 8:03 AM   
 By:   Dana Wilcox   (Member)

The fella has a good heart, and plenty of covers from film composers we all love very much. I hate the idea of beating down on this poor fella, so how about this:
- He starts a blogspot page with all of the graphics idexed by composer;
- He creates a thread with the blogspot url, and bumps it with the names of new entries as he posts them;
- We DO NOT create a new section of the Forum bc that would require additional cost and administrative burden on LK / DS; and
- We all go back to bickering about how good music was when we were younger, or when Goldsmith and Herrmann were around.

I do admit that the volume of entries at once can suck all of the O out of the Forum's front page, especially when browsing mobile.

All I can say is...you coulda been a contender. (Excellent suggestion, I completely agree!)

Posted:   Jul 14, 2013 - 7:29 PM   
 By:   philiperic   (Member)

Seriously people - Am I the only one who has that problem regarding the Board "quirk"? I mentioned it in my initial post and thought it was a valid point, but it looks like I'm the only one who suffers from it. Maybe it's my PC?

No , Graham , you are not alone - I can only go back about 4-5 pages on the boards, too.

And that alone is a valid reason for limiting the sheet music posts .

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 1:37 AM   
 By:   manderley   (Member)

No , Graham , you are not alone - I can only go back about 4-5 pages on the boards, too.

And that alone is a valid reason for limiting the sheet music posts .

Gentlemen.....

While I'm not very computer literate, even I have found that if you go to your own "Preferences" page and pull up the box listing the number of days of posts which you wish displayed, you can pull up posts for 100 days. On my computer, with 50 posts per page, it comes out to 39 pages. Try that and see if it works for you, too.

As to THIS topic, I've enjoyed the various sheet music postings, but as to the idea of one-only Sheet Music topic thread, I agree. smile

.....and I would also suggest that we only have one topic thread for everything Jerry Goldsmith---even if it covers 200,000 posts, and one only for all Comic Book movie scores, and one only for all Hans Zimmer scores, and one only for all Bernard Herrmann scores---Hitchcock to Harryhausen, and one only for all "Why Don't They Release?" topics, and one only for all James Bond scores, and one only for all BSX complaints, and one only for "Why Hasn't My CD Arrived Yet?" posts, and one only for "Which is better?---Star Trek or Star Wars?", and one only for........

Without much effort, we could pare this site down to about 2 pages of topics and, with this condensation, see just how boring it may have become!!!

big grin

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 8:09 AM   
 By:   Graham S. Watt   (Member)

Thanks manderley for the "Preferences" advice. I can't get it to work though. Can't see further back than 6 pages. Mind you, I am a total dumbo at the compo.

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 8:31 AM   
 By:   McMillan & Husband   (Member)

.....and I would also suggest that we only have one topic thread for everything Jerry Goldsmith---even if it covers 200,000 posts, and one only for all Comic Book movie scores, and one only for all Hans Zimmer scores, and one only for all Bernard Herrmann scores---Hitchcock to Harryhausen, and one only for all "Why Don't They Release?" topics, and one only for all James Bond scores, and one only for all BSX complaints, and one only for "Why Hasn't My CD Arrived Yet?" posts, and one only for "Which is better?---Star Trek or Star Wars?", and one only for........

Without much effort, we could pare this site down to about 2 pages of topics and, with this condensation, see just how boring it may have become!!!

big grin

The trouble wasn't just that he was posting so many topics about the same subject (sheet music), it's also the fact that he was doing it all in such a short amount of time - one post right after the other for almost an entire page. That's called spamming. He needs to learn to space it out a bit.

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 10:00 AM   
 By:   Julian K   (Member)

The threads are annoying.

As several people have suggested, this guy really needs to start a blog.

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 4:37 PM   
 By:   YOR The Hunter From The Future   (Member)

YOR really does not see the point on posting the covers of all this sheet music.

Yes, it is nice to see that it exists, but so what?

If the guy was posting the actual sheet music and not just the covers, then it would be very nice and usefull!

But just the covers... kind of useless.

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 5:36 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

TO YOR- Legal problems if you show the actual sheet music, you know that?

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 6:26 PM   
 By:   YOR The Hunter From The Future   (Member)

No. Then it is just useless to post all this covers, right?

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 7:16 PM   
 By:   dan the man   (Member)

Well for some people it is nice to look at and makes some people realize how many pieces of film music is nice to hear away from the film itself. There are so many nice melodic themes in this field of music and I wish that every theme did have at one time been sung by at least one vocal singer. The compositions deserve that. When I hear so many run of the mill songs being sung on the radio it is a shame all this good music don't get sung. Like YOR HAS A SONG DEDICATED TO HIM.

Posted:   Jul 16, 2013 - 7:03 AM   
 By:   smuli of finland   (Member)

I 2nd the emotion in thread title.