Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 7:27 AM   
 By:   SchiffyM   (Member)

You guys sure have a strange sense of what's funny.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 7:30 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

You guys sure have a strange sense of what's funny.

To be fair, it was more of a Richard Dreyfuss laugh.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 10:52 AM   
 By:   jfallon   (Member)

And I was drunk when I read it. Still on the fence though.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 11:39 AM   
 By:   digitalfreaknyc   (Member)

There's also an Irish source cue missing from the bootleg. I'm also surprised that they included the album version of the attack instead of the film version on the first disc.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 11:43 AM   
 By:   vinylscrubber   (Member)

Maybe I'm just bitchy today but does anybody else think we could have dispensed with tracks 7-11 on disc two and boiled this down to one disc for $19.95?

(I'll probably be getting it in anycase, so, thanks, LalaLand.)

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 12:52 PM   
 By:   Kev McGann   (Member)

Yeah, I agree vinylscrubber.
A one disc set, without those classical source cues, for $20, would have been way more desirable to me than the clunky, no-need 2-disc set on offer.
It's a decent score by Horner that has always held a strange mood charm for me, but the existing Milan CD was good enough for me, and I can only see me grabbing this edition for a $5 or $10 mark-down if they're sitting on a shed-load further down the road.
Happy for those who have really wanted this complete though.

Posted:   Jul 2, 2013 - 1:12 PM   
 By:   SilentWitness   (Member)

... I'm also surprised that they included the album version of the attack instead of the film version on the first disc.

That's because the film version of "Attempt on the Royals" is just an edit of the recorded version. No need to release that separately.

They abandoned the film order for tracks 10 and 11 though. Obviously for musical reasons. Still, I'd have preferred to listen to the score in chronological order with less suites created from shorter tracks.

Nice to finally have an official release of the complete score though.

Posted:   Aug 24, 2013 - 1:55 AM   
 By:   counterpoint   (Member)

I have to correct myself. Despite my original reservations I bought the new release although I didn`t like the original Milan CD. I always thought the score was quite boring. But I am glad I got the LLL version. There was a lot of very nice stuff missing on the Milan release which made that CD a not so interesting listening experience. Now that LLL included all of it, I am surprised how interesting the score actually is. Nothing groundbreaking but a solid and atmospheric action score.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 7:03 AM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

This is a tremendous release of one of my all-time favorite Horner scores.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Closing Credits (film version) and the Closing Credits (album version)? I feel like I'm missing something. I can't tell a difference. Maybe slight change in lyrics?

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 7:26 AM   
 By:   Spymaster   (Member)

It would have been even more tremendous if the whole score had been put one one disc - it would easily fit - so that it can be played uninterrupted from beginning to end.

It's seriously putting me off buying it. I know it seems like a minor gripe but, with so many releases begging for my money, even a minor gripe is enough to push it down the list.

Posted:   Sep 8, 2013 - 7:49 AM   
 By:   Shaun Rutherford   (Member)

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Closing Credits (film version) and the Closing Credits (album version)? I feel like I'm missing something. I can't tell a difference. Maybe slight change in lyrics?

I already can't remember! I think the correct parenthetical should be "(Padding)" though.

Posted:   Sep 12, 2013 - 4:36 PM   
 By:   DeputyRiley   (Member)

Ok, in answer to my question. Nearest I can tell, the film version includes lyrics in English (in addition to the Celtic (?) lyrics), while the album version is only Celtic (?) lyrics.