Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 15, 2013 - 10:53 PM   
 By:   RM Eastman   (Member)

This maybe Varese's crowning achievement, what a glorious set. I have been waiting years for this one- Bravo, Varese. Ordered a few copies. WOW!

I can hardly believe it has been 3 years since this was released. It is still a glorious set, however, I have only played it a few times in three years. In retrospect I would have preferred just the score and with better sound. The stereo disc is good, but to loud and the same goes for the mono disc to loud and S/N ratio on both not to good.

Posted:   Jul 16, 2013 - 12:01 AM   
 By:   Basil Wrathbone   (Member)

I'm happy with the Spartacus set, until such time as a complete all-stereo version shows up. It remains a much better value and less of a vanity project than that crummy, $500+ "limited edition" from around the same time. You know the one, with the tinny packaging that often dented or broke in shipping and the fall-to-bits zoetrope, risible mp3 stick and worthless "surprise" bonus disc that was cobbled together at the last minute to appease those who had been forced to wait months to receive their order. Spartacus, by comparison, is value-packed! And as for Spartacus being marked down in price by a few dollars... the other set is still being sold (or should I say unsold?) new on Amazon, AT $200 OFF!
Ironic if people who praise the preposterous Elfman set are amongst those being critical of Townson's far more noble effort.

Posted:   Jul 16, 2013 - 2:29 AM   
 By:   pp312   (Member)

The stereo disc is good, but to loud and the same goes for the mono disc to loud and S/N ratio on both not to good.

Sorry?

Posted:   Jul 16, 2013 - 4:04 AM   
 By:   Chris Rimmer   (Member)

The stereo disc is good, but to loud and the same goes for the mono disc to loud and S/N ratio on both not to good.

I'm very fortunate in that I have a VOLUME control on my stereo system, If it's too loud, turn it down. It works for me.

Posted:   Jul 16, 2013 - 4:11 AM   
 By:   WILLIAMDMCCRUM   (Member)

It's probably worth noting that the 2-disc OST part of this release is available for download. I noticed it on Spotify recently. I dunno if it's lossless, but it IS therefore available separately.

Is it? There are numerous Spartacus albums on Spotify (including one spelled Sparticus), but most of them are the 11-tracks MCA album. The only longer version I can find appears to be the first two discs from the Soundtrack Library b**tl*g release (comparing with the listing on Sountrack Collector's site at http://soundtrackcollector.com/title/2695/Spartacus), minus one track. None of the Varese set's premiere track listings seem to come up on Spotify (eg "Luceria Camp") whereas the titles and times of the SLC b**tl*g correspond entirely.

Erratum. Yes, I checked again, and it's the old SL release. My error.

Posted:   Jul 16, 2013 - 4:14 AM   
 By:   mrchriswell   (Member)

I'm very fortunate in that I have a VOLUME control on my stereo system, If it's too loud, turn it down. It works for me.

Maybe his system goes up to 11.

Posted:   Jul 16, 2013 - 4:14 AM   
 By:   mrchriswell   (Member)

Maybe his system goes up to 11.