Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Apr 11, 2010 - 2:59 PM   
 By:   Sean   (Member)

I think my favorite track on the new "Dragonslayer" release is "Space Station Docking" --

Oh, whoops! I meant "Burning Village."

cool

Posted:   Apr 11, 2010 - 4:23 PM   
 By:   LeHah   (Member)

I'd heard the score before but it never really understood it. Netflix added the film to their Instant queue and I watched it yesterday. I actually thought it was a lot of fun - if just very dry. And now that I've seen the score in the context of the film (and those amazing ILM effects!) I *had* to order it.

Posted:   Apr 11, 2010 - 5:38 PM   
 By:   Jeff Bond   (Member)

The sad thing is the visual effects are decimated by the laserdisc, DVD and even broadcast hi-def presentations--in the theater those effects are absolutely seamless and the dragon looks completely alive. Restoration needed...

Posted:   Apr 11, 2010 - 5:45 PM   

The sad thing is the visual effects are decimated by the laserdisc, DVD and even broadcast hi-def presentations

The dragon flying looks a little iffy but the parts where it was in the cave were fantastic

Posted:   Apr 12, 2010 - 12:38 AM   
 By:   Sarge   (Member)

Once in a while you can see some matte lines, which as Jeff said wouldn't be quite as glaring in the theatre (a projected image is much kinder to analog visual effects because it's bouncing the light off the screen into your eye, whereas a television is throwing light directly into your eye).

But the gorgeous design of that dragon combined with the go-motion technique produces a startling effect - that damn thing looks real most of the time.

Despite the occasional matte line, that dragon still looks more real to me than any CGI creation, except perhaps the T-Rex in JURASSIC PARK - which like DRAGONSLAYER also made effective use of a full-scale animatronic creature.

If only Peter MacNichol had seemed as alive and interesting as that dragon...

cool

Posted:   Apr 13, 2010 - 6:46 PM   

But the gorgeous design of that dragon combined with the go-motion technique produces a startling effect - that damn thing looks real most of the time.

I was watching the movie and talking to a friend on instant messenger at the same time. I regaled her with several four letter words and sounds of amazement over those go-motion effects. Way, way before their time!

Posted:   Apr 14, 2010 - 12:27 AM   
 By:   Les Jepson   (Member)

What's the story behind the big orchestral convulsion at the end of the last track?

Posted:   Apr 14, 2010 - 6:38 AM   
 By:   Stephen Lister   (Member)

What's the story behind the big orchestral convulsion at the end of the last track?

You mean the drum roll and stage thunder effect? That's a piece of source music played by Peter MacNicol to accompany Ralph Richardson's entrance early in the film.

Posted:   May 30, 2010 - 8:02 AM   
 By:   Ag^Janus   (Member)

What is an "LCR"? Likable crusty recording?

Posted:   May 30, 2010 - 9:48 AM   
 By:   La La Land Records   (Member)

No, Little Creepy Retards. smile

MV

Posted:   May 30, 2010 - 5:08 PM   
 By:   Ag^Janus   (Member)

No, Little Creepy Retards. smile

MV

My sleepless nights are over.

Posted:   Feb 7, 2014 - 10:48 AM   
 By:   Senn555   (Member)

Eraser appears to have gone out of print now (no longer available at LLL). Screen Archives has a handful of copies though.