Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Jan 21, 2014 - 2:35 AM   
 By:   Lokutus   (Member)

It seems that Murray Gold is actually scoring this brand new BBC series...
Any opinions on the show and its score?

Posted:   Jan 21, 2014 - 3:19 AM   
 By:   Ian J.   (Member)

Regarding the score, my jury's out on that one. I wasn't entirely comfortable with the percussive elements in what is clearly a period piece when taking account of the settings, and I'm not sure about the Spanish style. However, when allied to the seemingly obvious intent to inject some modern 'swagger' into the style of the program overall, then the music does seem to fit.

As for the program itself, I don't like 'estuary accented English' as spoken by some of the cast. I'd have been happier if they'd used any other regional accents than that one. But again, they will be aiming at a younger audience than me, so that audience probably wouldn't even notice.

All this said, I'll keep an eye on how it progresses. I might be able to look past these elements if the overall story works out, but based on recent form (Merlin, Robin Hood, Atlantis) I'm not sure the BBC can produce dramas that I actually like any more.

Posted:   Jan 21, 2014 - 3:23 AM   
 By:   Chris Rimmer   (Member)

I was rather disappointed with both the program and the music. It might grow on me, but the overall impression was that I've seen better adaptations of the story.

The music seem to be all strumming guitars and noise (but that's just how it sounded to me) and didn't do anything for the atmosphere of the series.

I know that I'm getting old and I'm firmly grounded in the past, but there'll never (for me anyway) be a version of the "Musketeers Films" to surpass the Lester versions of the seventies.

It looked authentic, but the dialogue was too modern for the setting.

Sorry guy's and gal's, I can't see me sitting through another nine weeks of this.

Posted:   Jun 22, 2014 - 7:15 PM   
 By:   joan hue   (Member)

I just saw the first episode today. It was okay. I'll watch a few more to see if it improves.
On the other hand, I was really impressed with Gold's music. It sported some nice themes and rollicking thematic action music. He has hooked me so far.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2014 - 2:30 PM   
 By:   Kari Tuhkanen   (Member)

I just saw the first episode today. It was okay. I'll watch a few more to see if it improves.
On the other hand, I was really impressed with Gold's music. It sported some nice themes and rollicking thematic action music. He has hooked me so far.

Gold has that sort of effect. I haven´t watched this yet but I will, if only because of the score. The theme music is a hoot! Let´s hope Silva will release the CD.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2014 - 3:38 PM   
 By:   calmblueocean81   (Member)

The music (especially the theme) felt quite out of place to begin with, but much like the show itself, it eventually won me over. It's rather fun, likeable characters, doesn't take itself too seriously. The production (sets, locations, costumes) are all top notch, but it's secret weapon is Peter Capaldi. He steals every scene as the Cardinal.

Posted:   Jun 23, 2014 - 4:10 PM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

The music in that trailer is "Run Boy Run" by Woodkid. big grin

Edit: Embed not working here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmc21V-zBq0