Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jul 12, 2014 - 7:14 AM   
 By:   Doug Raynes   (Member)

Frankly, it's not that much different and anyone who has the old edition should be fine.

Being something of an obsessive with both film and score I had to have this encore version in order to hear the alternate Main Title and I have to disagree with Bruce Kimmel's comment above when he says it’s not much different to the version as in the film. I’ve heard plenty of alternative cues where I’ve had a hard time spotting any change at all – but I'm pleased to say that's not so in this case.

Although the thematic material is the same, the arrangements and orchestration are very different, giving a more subdued, romantic sounding Main Title. Assuming this was Friedhofer’s first version, it’s not surprising that he decided (or more probably asked, in view of all the changes made to film and score) to make it sound harsher to suit the revenge theme. The cue also extends from the title sequence into the opening scene of the bank hold-up, where Brando is nonchalantly sitting on the counter eating a banana, and ends on an ominous downward chord. That music is in the film but isn’t included on disc 2 as part of the OST. So it's good to have that music - albeit brief - as well. The complete cue is therefore 25 seconds longer than the Main Title as heard on track 1 of both disc 1 and disc 2.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2014 - 12:03 PM   
 By:   joec   (Member)

Frankly, it's not that much different and anyone who has the old edition should be fine.

Being something of an obsessive with both film and score I had to have this encore version in order to hear the alternate Main Title and I have to disagree with Bruce Kimmel's comment above when he says it’s not much different to the version as in the film. I’ve heard plenty of alternative cues where I’ve had a hard time spotting any change at all – but I'm pleased to say that's not so in this case.

Although the thematic material is the same, the arrangements and orchestration are very different, giving a more subdued, romantic sounding Main Title. Assuming this was Friedhofer’s first version, it’s not surprising that he decided (or more probably asked, in view of all the changes made to film and score) to make it sound harsher to suit the revenge theme. The cue also extends from the title sequence into the opening scene of the bank hold-up, where Brando is nonchalantly sitting on the counter eating a banana, and ends on an ominous downward chord. That music is in the film but isn’t included on disc 2 as part of the OST. So it's good to have that music - albeit brief - as well. The complete cue is therefore 25 seconds longer than the Main Title as heard on track 1 of both disc 1 and disc 2.

I came to a similar conclusion. The first issue was excellent, however the "encore" is much better. Although most listeners can be pleased with the first issue, I am much happier with the second. So I sold off my first copy and basically swapped it for the second. The correct replacement cue, as noted above, is actually a bit longer and includes a small amount of music not included on the 2nd disc.

Posted:   Jul 12, 2014 - 9:49 PM   
 By:   haineshisway   (Member)

Well, then I guess everyone should buy it! smile