Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 1:24 PM   
 By:   fisch   (Member)

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 18

JURASSIC WORLD---director Colin Trevorrow released artwork that hints at the sequel's super dinosaur which will be the result of combining the DNA of dinosaurs and animals. Trevorrow said earlier, "...there will be one new dinosaur created by the park’s geneticists. The gaps in her sequence were filled with DNA from other species, much like the genome in the first film was completed with frog DNA. This creation exists to fulfill a corporate mandate—they want something bigger, louder, with more teeth. And that’s what they get. I know the idea of a modified dinosaur put a lot of fans on red alert, and I understand it. But we aren’t doing anything here that Crichton didn’t suggest in his novels. This animal is not a mutant freak. It doesn’t have a snake’s head or octopus tentacles. It’s a dinosaur, created in the same way the others were, but now the genetics have gone to the next level."

THE EQUALIZER---writer Richard Wenk (THE EXPENDABLES 2) said about his script for the movie remake of the 1980s tv series that starred Edward Woodward, "The only elements we've retained are the title and the element of a man helping people. In this case, in this movie, really helping the voiceless. I started writing this and decided he was a changer of circumstances for people whose circumstances probably would never change. That was the basic concept of the TV show, he put an ad in the paper and helped people who had no other recourse. In this movie there is no ad until the very end. He's finding that his random acts of justice, so to speak, are who he is and that's a place where he'll find a home for himself." Denzel Washington and Chloe Moretz star.

THE EXPENDABLES---Steven Seagal explained why he turned down a role in the franchise, "I just didn't like some of the people involved... Life is too short to work with funny people... There's good and bad people everywhere and a lot of people in The Expendables I like too. So it's okay... I like Jason Statham. I like Jet Li, people like that."
He said about Liam Neeson as action movie star, "He can't fight, he's not an action guy at all and he's getting action movies now, so that should tell you something. He's a great dramatic actor, a great guy. Is he an action guy? No. Is he a great fighter, a great warrior? No. Let's be honest. It's a strange journey. It's just really, really odd. Just odd"
Seagal said about a possible third UNDER SIEGE movie, "What I want to do is write a movie, which I’ve sorta already done, where Russian special forces and American special forces work together to combat terrorism."

CRIMINAL---Kevin Costner is in negotiations to star in this movie about a criminal who has the skills, memories and secrets of a dead CIA agent implanted in his brain so he can complete the dead agent's mission.

TED 2---Jessica Barth has signed to return for the sequel.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE---Michael K. Williams (Chalky White) said about Season 5, "The storyline has jumped seven years [into the future]...The Depression has set in. The days of the shiny shoes and fancy suits are long gone...It ended very badly for Chalky last year. His family life is no more, and he is desperately seeking Dr. Narcisse to settle old scores."

THE HULK---Mark Ruffalo said Marvel Studios is considering a new stand-alone Hulk movie, "I think they are, for the first time, entertaining the idea of it. When we did THE AVENGERS it was basically 'No!', and now there is some consideration for it. But there's still nothing definitive, not even a skeletal version of what it would be. I look forward to going down that road, if we could crack that nut. I think the Banner/Hulk storyline is obviously not easy a tough nut to crack."

HELLBOY---Ron Perlman said he's lobbying for a third movie in the series, "I'd like to finish it. I'd like for there to be a third film because the first two films were set up for this huge resolve and he already understands what that resolve will look like...So I fight for it every day. Sometimes I'm the only voice and sometimes there are others, but I'm never going to stop trying to get HELLBOY 3 made."

AMERICAN PASTORAL---director Philip Noyce (CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER, PATRIOT GAMES) confirmed he will direct the movie based on the Philip Roth novel with Ewan McGregor starring. The script is by John Romero (THE LINCOLN LAWYER).

SCOOBY-DOO---live-action remake of the animated movies is underway at Warner Bros. with an all-new cast.

BRILLIANCE---Jared Leto is in talks to replace Will Smith in the sci fi movie.

PADDINGTON---Colin Firth dropped out of the live-action/CGI movie based on the famous bear.

MALIGNANT MAN---20th Century Fox bought the movie rights to the James Wan comic book with Wan possibly directing the movie.

MANHATTAN---new WGN America series about the families of the Manhattan Project scientists who developed the atomic bomb at Los Alamos, New Mexico.

CARBOARD---animated movie underway based on the graphic novel in which a man and his young son battle cardboard monsters that come to life.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 2:44 PM   
 By:   Warlok   (Member)

Seagal... hmmm. Sometimes, for a Zen guy, he perplexes.

I am sure that by real-world shit-hits-the-fan standards most of the Expendables cast don`t rate very well versus Seagal. That doesn`t at all mean they aren`t any good, or aren`t any good in action films.

Specifically with Mr. Neeson, did Seagal watch the thug fight from Taken 2? That was superb.

Is this a type of 'real-world ring' machismo at play? Does an action actor or actress need to pummel and get pummelled X number of rounds in a UFC fight before Mr. Seagal would consider them people he would collaborate with?

This seems very odd to me, especially since theater is illusion. Everyone work together towards the illusion. I don`t know.

(...)

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 2:52 PM   
 By:   mastadge   (Member)

Is this a type of 'real-world ring' machismo at play? Does an action actor or actress need to pummel and get pummelled X number of rounds in a UFC fight before Mr. Seagal would consider them people he would collaborate with?

To be fair, he's answering two different questions there. In one, he was discussing The Expendables, and good on him for deciding he'd rather not get into a project where he knew up front he'd have personality conflicts. That wasn't a macho thing, that was an "I can afford not to put myself in the position of working with some people I know I don't get along with thing." In the other, he was answering an entirely different question. He wasn't saying he wouldn't work with Neeson -- Neeson's not even in The Expendables movie, as far as I know.

Hollywood is making lots of superhero films full of special effects instead of straight action films. What are your thoughts about that? Times change. There are a lot of different methods of making movies now. They use a lot of special effects. People don’t have to be an action guy or a hero or a martial artist, they just get up there and let everybody spend the money and the time with special effects. Look at Liam Neeson. He can’t fight, he’s not an action guy at all and he’s getting action movies now, so that should tell you something. He’s a great dramatic actor, a great guy. Is he an action guy? No. Is he a great fighter, a great warrior? No. Let’s be honest.

Full interview here: http://www.bigissue.com/features/interviews/3963/steven-seagal-interview-the-one-who-said-that-is-a-lying-conniving-scum

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 2:56 PM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

Kurt Russell is another 80s action hero who has turned down the EXPENDABLES movies. Too bad, coz I love those movies and their "project". But I respect their decisions.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 2:57 PM   
 By:   mnrvason   (Member)

Let's just say that Steven Seagal will NEVER be hired for his acting ability, and leave it at that.
I wish there was a roll eyes Message Icon. :-)

SheriffJoe

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 3:05 PM   
 By:   CindyLover   (Member)

Does an action actor or actress need to pummel and get pummelled X number of rounds in a UFC fight before Mr. Seagal would consider them people he would collaborate with?

The man does have form in this kind of thing - I remember when he was promoting Above The Law he made it clear he wasn't a fan of Chuck Norris (yep, S. Seagal's ego was in play with his first movie)...

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 3:07 PM   

SCOOBY-DOO---live-action remake of the animated movies is underway at Warner Bros. with an all-new cast.

Hope they get in all-new writers as well, given how both movies sucked at black hole levels.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 3:12 PM   
 By:   drop_forge   (Member)

Steven Seagal hasn't made a decent movie since Exit Wounds in 2001 (I don't count Machete, it's not "a Seagal flick").

That said, his critique of other "action" stars makes me chuckle because all of his recent fight scenes consist of a stuntman from the neck down. Seagal might throw an actual punch or kick (in slo-mo, mind you) if he has a 5-hour Energy first.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 6:19 PM   
 By:   The Mutant   (Member)

Stay classy, Segall.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 6:23 PM   
 By:   Octoberman   (Member)

Seagal jumped the shark when he sang "Kung Fu Fighting" back when he hosted SNL.

It's a height he shant reach again.

Posted:   Jun 18, 2014 - 6:51 PM   
 By:   Jim Phelps   (Member)

THE EXPENDABLES---Steven Seagal explained why he turned down a role in the franchise, "I just didn't like some of the people involved... Life is too short to work with funny people... There's good and bad people everywhere and a lot of people in The Expendables I like too. So it's okay... I like Jason Statham. I like Jet Li, people like that."

He said about Liam Neeson as action movie star, "He can't fight, he's not an action guy at all and he's getting action movies now, so that should tell you something. He's a great dramatic actor, a great guy. Is he an action guy? No. Is he a great fighter, a great warrior? No. Let's be honest. It's a strange journey. It's just really, really odd. Just odd"

Too bad Seagal didn't appear in the film and then said stuff like this in those nauseating press junkets where everyone "loves" working with everyone else and that so-and-so is just "great" on the set.

Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 1:33 AM   

Steven Seagal hasn't made a decent movie since Exit Wounds in 2001 (I don't count Machete, it's not "a Seagal flick").

See also Executive Decision.

Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 2:38 AM   
 By:   dragon53   (Member)

THOR:

According to Stallone, he offered Kurt Russell a co-starring role in the first THE EXPENDABLES movie, and Russell referred Stallone to his agent. Stallone said he wanted the cast to be a arrangement between friends and apparently was insulted by Russell's reply. Later, reports said the two were buddies again and were working on a sequel to TANGO & CASH----which apparently wasn't true.
It's too bad Russell won't be in any EXPENDABLES movies because he qualifies as an action hero icon (ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, EXECUTIVE DECISION, THE THING, TOMBSTONE, etc.) a lot more than some of the others who have been in the EXPENDABLES.

Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 4:51 AM   
 By:   Thor   (Member)

THOR:

According to Stallone, he offered Kurt Russell a co-starring role in the first THE EXPENDABLES movie, and Russell referred Stallone to his agent. Stallone said he wanted the cast to be a arrangement between friends and apparently was insulted by Russell's reply. Later, reports said the two were buddies again and were working on a sequel to TANGO & CASH----which apparently wasn't true.
It's too bad Russell won't be in any EXPENDABLES movies because he qualifies as an action hero icon (ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, EXECUTIVE DECISION, THE THING, TOMBSTONE, etc.) a lot more than some of the others who have been in the EXPENDABLES.

Indeed -- or SOLDIER, his most bad-ass action hero, IMO.

Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 10:27 AM   
 By:   Clark Wayne   (Member)

Seagal's too fat to manage a role in the Expendables anyway-he couldn't get his leg up high enough to do a decent kick.

And as for personality conflicts, more like he'd be acted off the screen by all the others, including JCVD from the 2nd one!

Posted:   Jun 19, 2014 - 10:33 AM   
 By:   solium   (Member)

THOR:

Indeed -- or SOLDIER, his most bad-ass action hero, IMO.

Never bought Russell as an action star. To much of a baby face. Thought he was terribly cast as Snake. Though I did like him in The Thing.