Film Score Monthly
FSM HOME MESSAGE BOARD FSM CDs FSM ONLINE RESOURCES FUN STUFF ABOUT US  SEARCH FSM   
Search Terms: 
Search Within:   search tips 
You must log in or register to post.
  Go to page:    
 Posted:   Sep 21, 2014 - 3:01 AM   
 By:   Timothy J. Phlaps   (Member)

Define "goofy stuff." I don't remember much of it being particularly comedic, since the whole point of these films is to play everything as straight as possible.

But if it's the serious stuff you like, you need to get the set for "The Touchable Untouchables" from 33 1/3.

Posted:   Sep 21, 2014 - 9:02 AM   
 By:   OnyaBirri   (Member)

Define "goofy stuff." I don't remember much of it being particularly comedic, since the whole point of these films is to play everything as straight as possible.

Not much, but a few segments, such as the military/pomp and circumstance music on the CD. Not having seen these in ages, I didn't know if the CD was representational of the larger musical approach, or if they cherry-picked the better/jazzier/serious tracks. It's sounds like the former, from what I'm hearing.

Posted:   Oct 27, 2014 - 5:50 PM   
 By:   Josh "Swashbuckler" Gizelt   (Member)

I just moved, so I only recently managed to catch up to some of the stuff that had been released these past few months.

I spent the past few days listening to this box set and it never once got old. Every iteration of the themes is unique in its own way, and welcome. The source music and the interpolations of spoofs of other scores in the third film pepper everything and keep things fresh. The suspense and action cues are so over-the-top and fun.

When I wasn't listening, I was humming and/or whistling the main themes. I even unpacked all of my DVDs just so I could watch Police Squad! and hear more of Ira Newborn doing this music.

I wanted this, somewhat casually, but now this box set falls firmly into the category of $#!+ I never thought I'd ever see but don't think I could live without.